elvaq

[RELEASE] Another Chill Hell

Update: Game is released! https://elvaquero.itch.io/another-chill-hell

OK, I guess I am making a game after all!!!!

Ideas came at me quickly & suddenly despite falling ill and taking a four hour nap almost immediately after the jam started.... But I woke up and got to work!

The idea right now is a physics-y match3 platformer. Liberal usage of free assets like Unity Chan & Mixamo has got me a very-basically-animated platforming character with that has offered some surprising and fun results. I truly don't understand the physics of the wall-grabbing below but I've decided not to fix it and added an animation instead. Embracing maximum dumbness with this concept. "Fun & chill & dumb" is what I want.

First weekend GIFs!

Night 1

wj4-1.gif

Night 2

wj4-2.gif

The next few days are presumably not going to go quite as smoothly. Holidays are counteracted with major family time (my visiting niece is far too cute to ignore right now) but that should at least allow me some time to figure out how to build out from (and lightly fix) this ludicrous core I've got going now. I have some pretty weird and funny ideas for story elements if I can get through enough of the core/levels situation in the next week... there are a lot of fun free Unity Chan assets to abuse.

Looking forward to building this baby!

FFXV coming out is having a serious impact on my productivity -_- I am not a strong man.

BUT! I am forcing myself to sit down and put together a pre-final weekend beta build to get some more feedback. https://elvaquero.itch.io/another-chill-hell Let me know what your scores are!

We'll see how far I get on Story mode by Sunday, heheh.... I'm definitely going to at least finish fixing up those crates with the glitchy visuals and behavior

I really need to make some gifs but I need to get back to those fantasy boys even more. Tomorrow!

I won the battle in the end but right now I am very, very tired.

https://elvaquero.itch.io/another-chill-hell

Will update again when I can make some gifs on my work computer. PS is now crashing when I try to save out any gif and... ain't nobody got time for that

Sleep now, GIFs later.

Pretty major art/sounf overhaul and I hope people like it!

Still planning on doing a score contest for a Pico 8 key so do get to practicing...

This reminded me a lot of Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe, which I like a lot, there definitely seems like a lot of potential in the mechanics.

Awesome, thanks for playing!! I haven't played Super Puzzle Platformer or the other game someone mentioned, Trash Panic but looking back now this game is totally just those two combined! Pretty cool that I could wind up in the same place without really knowing all that stuff. Kind of makes me want to see what other weird takes are out there for the Match 3 genre!

Anyway, here are some final version GIFs I made today...!

KbU0Mt.gif

uzPqGd.gif

I do kind of want to keep going over the next month and add some stuff I didn't quite get time for. There are at least a couple bugs I've noticed but I am pretty happy with how the core gameplay turned out. I'd still like to get the audio options done just for learning's sake, if not the full Story mode. We'll see

Really cute and good fun - has that 'putting out fires' aspect of all good match-3s!

The movement and game feel of getting around in such a weird physics environment felt good, which seems like it'd be tough to get right, and the anime permeates and ties it together. It wasn't really clear how to choose what blocks to target to me though? It mostly seemed to work pretty well and do I wanted but I wasn't sure.