Sign in to follow this  
OnePixelMonster

Data Complete ; A Gun That Shoots Enemies (A General Interest adventure).

Data Complete: A Gun That Shoots Enemies, a General Interest Adventure!

You are General Interest, a tough as nails SOB one-man army on a luxury trip from Earth to Pluto... WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE! A computer virus has infected Starship Rodkin’s AI, causing it to replicate thousands of murderous robots that attack everything in sight, including each other! Vacation's over!

Your only weapon? A gun made with parts from a ship replicator and a t-shirt cannon. The catch? The gun’s ammo is actual enemy robots!

Good luck General!

----------------------------------

Edit 1; simplified everything.

The idea is based on a comment made during episode 289, during the discussion about Earth Defense Force. Jake Rodkin says at 15:41 “a gun that shoots enemies” as a joke. That line got stuck in my stupid brain and after some thinking, said brain might have come up with something workable.

There are two ways to interpret that quote; either its just a gun that shoots bullets at enemies or... its a gun that shoots enemies at other enemies, ie, the robot is the bullet. That's the one I went with.

It’s more a strategic shooter than a run and gun. Instead of destroying enemy robots with bullets, you force them to destroy each other by spawning an enemy robot:

1. The gun spawns robots instead of shooting bullets.

2. The gun works like a grenade launcher; it shoots a canister-like ammo that bounces around for a few seconds, then quickly grows into a robot.

3. The robots you shoot from the gun will self-destruct after a while; this is so the player can eventually clear a room...

4. The gun is nanite powered; destroyed robots leave nanites behind that the player will need to collect, sometimes mid-battle.

Aim then right-click an enemy robot to load its enemy into the gun. Left-click to shoot. Or manually select a robot.

That's what I have for now. I’m working on a prototype right now (Unity/C#).

Good Jam All!!!

This sounds like an interesting idea. Seems like it would be very confusing until you just "got it" all of a sudden. Looking forward to trying it out!

Update 1:

The project is moving along smoothly for now; I have 3 very ugly robots that still cant move or shoot, but they can target each other and the player. The player can move around freely (in first person) climb stairs and jump. The gun is modeled and shoots cube for now...

Still a long way to go!

screenshot1.jpg

Edited by OnePixelMonster
added screen shot

This was a lot of fun. An interesting idea, communicated well. And there was even enough wiggle room for when I screwed up to just book it and make it to the end of the level. Good good stuff!

https://onepixelmonster.itch.io/data-complete-a-gun-that-shoots-enemies

^ You should put the itch link here for people who are looking through the games just in the forums.

The combination of generic 90s FPS look (and I mean that as a positive thing) and some quirkier stuff like the health cocktail and Gobbler boxes create a fun style and mood.

The size of the levels and the amount of different stuff, like robots and props, in them is impressive.

Being able to change the mouse controls in game is a nice detail. At first my view kept drifting to one direction and for a second, because of the drink, I thought my character was just drunk. I think the problem went away when I plugged (or unplugged?) my controller.

Thanks all for the kind words and the downloads :-)

Sorry I haven't been more present, I've been busy puking my guts out for a few days, then busy with Ludum Dare 37 and then busy sleeping for 3 days straight.

So? What's new?