Abban

[Dev Log] The Bear's Black Heart

This is really good and I'm definitely gonna spend more time with it after my initial quick pass over all wizard jam games.

Congrats on the Markiplier video! I went back to the game after watching it, having got more of a feel for what the game is, and finished a full playthrough. It's really good! The art style is great, and systemically it's interesting too. Good to see Bosco finally appearing in a video game, also.

Nice. This one and the Memorable Maid game really stuck with me. Looking forward to seeing more of it (and of Big Bad Spanish, which I can relate to :lol:).

Just heard Jake mention it on the podcast!

For people wondering here's the itch page stats:

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 15.19.52.png

• Before that video I think we had 170 installs.
  • The install rate from YouTube views is <1%.
  • It also bumped the game onto the most popular list which got it some more hits.
  • It looks like its going to bottom out at a few hundred a day for the next few months.

This week has been very surreal, for the last year I've been extremely stressed about moving from my paid profession (web development) into the great unknown of game dev and even though its a one off this is a huge confidence boost. I feel like I can add Game Developer onto my email signature now.

18 minutes ago, Abban said:

For people wondering here's the itch page stats:

This week has been very surreal, for the last year I've been extremely stressed about moving from my paid profession (web development) into the great unknown of game dev and even though its a one off this is a huge confidence boost. I feel like I can add Game Developer onto my email signature now.

That's unreal dude, congrats! :tup:

It was pretty surreal watching someone famous play a Wizard Jam game full of Idle references and not getting them.

Thanks for showing us the stats, I was definitely curious. After the Markiplier video I saw a marked spike in my own stats from the radiant ripples of your explosion, though my spike was a dozen views and three new downloads, not thousands! :P

Congratulations you two and thank you for sharing the metrics.

One thing doing this game jam has taught me over the year is a little bit about that dark and mysterious void between making a game and putting it out there and then having people notice it and play it. This is fantastic example of that, and I wish you guys continual success in all your game development adventures.

Really well done with this guys, Bear's Black Heart is definitely a stand out wiz jam game and for it to get this much attention is great, very well deserved!

Thanks for posting your stats, I often hear game devs talking about the huge effects of being featured on a big channel but people rarely like to talk numbers.

As an aside, Big Bad Spanish looks really good as well, I've been slowly learning Spanish over the past couple of years and having that feeling of pressure is so important.

Massive congratulations! your game looked really clean during the development of it and am really glad to see that you have got this attention, especially considering your circumstances! This also reminds me that I still need to get round to playing everyone's jam games lol :blink:

22 hours ago, Abban said:
  • The install rate from YouTube views is <1%.

Yeah, that number is pretty interesting. For us, I think it was 0,3% or something with the most watched English video. For some reason, our game was more popular in Eastern European countries (mostly Russia and Romania, I think) and the conversion rate with those was about five times as high. I know next to nothing about YouTube though, so maybe that's just coincidence. Getting to the front page of Itch definitely helped the most in terms of actual downloads.

Such a cool game, amazing art as well!

Your game made me decide to join this community after months of lurking, perhaps I'll join the next Wizard Jam :)

Q: What's the in-game music called? It sounds really great so I wanted to add it to my library (if that's allowed, of course).

I found out about the markiplier video from the podcast and went and looked it up. Goddamn do I love Wizard Jam.