Abban

[Dev Log] The Bear's Black Heart

OK, so I hooked some of this up to Unity. Its not perfect so I'll take a look at the Animation Controller in the morning when I'm not so tipsy.

movement.gif

13 hours ago, Abban said:

OK, so I hooked some of this up to Unity. Its not perfect so I'll take a look at the Animation Controller in the morning when I'm not so tipsy.

movement.gif

Looks pretty much perfect to me! If you want to make minor tweaks to the animation, you might try keeping the heart at the left side of the screen despite the rotation of the container, similar to how solid objects in water behave when you rotate the glass. I'm not sure if it would actually look better, just a thought. Not that this actually needs tweaking, in my opinion. 

This is the first time I've looked into this thread and holy shit this is all looking amazing!

Dev Log - Day I don't even remember anymore

Where to begin..

I took the weekend off because I was confident that we could finish this in time. Then yesterday I had a bit of a panic that we actually didn't have that much time so put a load of hours in and today I'm relaxed again. This is what I've built in the last 2 days.

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 15.06.05.png

Choice/Dialogue

The player will come across objects in the game in order to move to the next level they're going to have to pick one. I built these to work like dialogue choices. You read some text and are presented with options and can pick one or look for another. You then see the consequences of your choice. Each choice passes a week, so you're going to do 5 weeks of Autumn and 5 weeks of Winter and 5 weeks of something else.

Each choice adds a status effect some of which will stack. I'm currently working on these statuses atm. They'll be stuff like exposing the timer in the hunger meter, moving faster or slower, getting hungrier faster or slower, fog of war etc.

Choices are being loaded in from JSON which makes it handy to add new ones. I was thinking of using Twine or Yarn for it but I'm not sure yet.

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 15.10.27.png

Hunger Meter

The hunger meter is a timer, eating food will add to the timer but not above a max level. This will allow a bit of exploration if the player wants.

Balancing

I'm aiming to make a single play of the game last from 30-60 minutes. With 15 levels that means each level should take the player 2-4 minutes to get through.

Tomorrow I'm going to work on the procedural generation of the terrain objects as that will be a nice break from working on systems.

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 15.11.01.png

Frustration

Sometimes I just want Unity to fuck off. Running into Unity bugs in the UI Layouts and stuff really sucks time away. For example did you know that the SceneManager.sceneLoaded event is called BEFORE the scene is finished loading? 3 hours debugging that today...

I must check how many lines of code I've written since beginning this, here's a shot of the scripts I've written.

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 15.28.24.png

Everything about this is super legit. It's so good to see the pros, and I'm assuming here you're pro, use the wiz jam time to really flex their muscles.

I have paid work today so just posting a couple of screens of the new room generation with foliage that I wrote this morning. Next update will be tomorrow.

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 11.03.14.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 11.02.19.png

Dev Log - T minus 4 days

So today I populated the rooms with food and hooked up the hunger meter.

Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 13.54.09.png

I also changed the terrain generator a little. Its now creating a mesh the size of the bounds instead of separate tiles. The benefit of this is its now creating a thousand or so less sprite than it was. I can add a 3D collider onto the mesh too if I want to add a particle collider that used collision like rain or snow.

Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 13.52.30.png

The items all get horizontally aligned in the Scene screenshot but its not noticeable in the game view so I think its OK.

The only system left to build now is the status effects, then its on to balancing and testing and tweaking.

Crowdsourcing

So I need ideas for the following:

1. Events
  2. Status Effects

Events are things the bear will find in the woods and statuses are the effects applied to the bear depending on the choice they make at that event.

For example the bear might find a pot and you can choose to eat the contents or smash it. The pot might be full of honey so if you eat it you get a hunger bonus. If you smash it the honey could stick to your feet causing you to move slower.

On the other hand the pot might be full of bees so if you eat it you get stomach ache and if you smash it you get stung (both bad).

I'm going to need around 30-50 events so if you have any ideas please post them as I think this is going to end up being the hardest part of the entire jam for me.

1 hour ago, Abban said:

I'm going to need around 30-50 events so if you have any ideas please post them as I think this is going to end up being the hardest part of the entire jam for me.

Stylewise, do you want them to be normal enough things a bear could find in the woods, eg. a badger in a hole, or silly things too, like a vaping rig for example?

Simpler the better, I'm not going to have time for any AI or complicated animation.

But a hole where there can be various items or creatures inside is perfect!

This looks amazing!

Other things that might contain good/bad things:

picnic basket

hollow tree-stump

beehive

Hooked up winter sprites

Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 19.09.19.png

Scene View

Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 19.11.17.png

I also discovered that theres a weird bug on the path generator where sometimes a single tile isn't spawning. I probably won't have time to fix this.

Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 19.12.12.png