fuzzymooples

[Dev Log] Historical Beef

Historical Beef™ is a meat curation simulator featuring meat from game history. You play the protagonist, the meat curator, whose job it is to prepare museum displays of exquisite meats for public consumption (with the eyes, not the mouth). When your exhibit is opened, you arrangement of meats will be judged and graded. 

Will your displays get the brisket, or be a load of tough rump?

This is being made by two dudes with no game dev experience but a lot of aesthetic meat guile. Fingers crossed!

Very intrigued! A lot of us are on the Slack giving each other advice and ideas if you'd like to join!

Looks good already! Also we apparently have differing views on what constitutes pizza!

On 19/11/2016 at 11:38 PM, Rilen said:

Looks good already! Also we apparently have differing views on what constitutes pizza!

We kinda got too excited and forgot to photograph the pizza before eating it!

Also yes, we are very interested in the string quartet music! What a kind offer :)

At this stage in development we are now working separately and have entered a silly pattern: I make lots of work and Fuzzymooples fixes things.

On 11/21/2016 at 9:18 PM, fuzzymooples said:

badatstuff  re fancy string quartet music - VERY INTERESTED!

Excellent, I'll begin working on it tomorrow!

Badatsuff indeed sent us a rad classy string quartet track, which is now our main BGM!

Most of the "core" game is now finished so the remaining day is fleshing it out and adding things we think are neat. This has been a cool way to learn 1) Sketchup and 2) that my macbook doesn't like to charge, which has made progress a bit sluggish at times!

I'd have a rad screenshot here but said laptop is still having a sulk at me...

A really funny idea, well executed, with lots of attention to detail (I love the bespoke graphics settings, the company title card, the meat descriptions).

My only criticism really would be that, like most internet comedy videos, it goes on for a little too long - I'd fully experienced the joke about halfway through. I probably would have just put it all in one room and not made the player choose their meat, just select it automatically and display the text as a plaque.

I'd be interested to know if

it's possible to get a good review!

2 hours ago, Ben X said:

I'd be interested to know if

Hide contents

it's possible to get a good review!

It is, but judging is reliant on a number of hidden variable comparisons that skews it towards bad reviews more often than not due to the scoring bands, whoops! Thanks for the feedback!

Okay, I had to do a quick post-jam check and I fixed the Judging so its less roundly scathing and so you can hear the full range of judgements!

This is full of Very Good jokes and lots of great details. I really really like it.