nkornek

[Dev Log] Live from the Past

Wizard Jam time!

I'm actually going to be using this as an excuse to try and make a game that I've been wanting to prototype for a while now, because it actually fits well as a pun on this episode title.

The idea would be to create a 1v1 pistol dueling game (think Nidhogg but with pew pew guns) where every following round you can see a time echo of you and your opponent from previous rounds.

In order to win a round, you need to kill your opponent, and then kill them again before they can kill your time echo before it kills their's.

It sounds confusing to write out, so here's a shitty mockup.

live.png

Whoa. So, even friendly fire can cancel a point?? This sounds cool. 

Also, shitty mockups are great.

13 minutes ago, Travis said:

Whoa. So, even friendly fire can cancel a point?? This sounds cool. 

Also, shitty mockups are great.

Not sure if I'll allow for friendly fire, but that would be hilarious.

51 minutes ago, nkornek said:

Not sure if I'll allow for friendly fire, but that would be hilarious.

Oh, I wasn't tracking the colors right in your example, just the positions. That could be a hard mode or something. Ha! Either way, it sounds really fun!

2 hours ago, Travis said:

Oh, I wasn't tracking the colors right in your example, just the positions. That could be a hard mode or something. Ha! Either way, it sounds really fun!

Could be something that players can enable. It'll depend on how much time I have.

I'm too tired to fully understand this at the moment, but extremely excited! Can't wait to start jammin' with ye tomorrow.

I would definitely prioritize figuring out a clear and concise way to tutorialize the premise, which is awesome but a bit complicated.

12 hours ago, Patrick R said:

I would definitely prioritize figuring out a clear and concise way to tutorialize the premise, which is awesome but a bit complicated.

Yup. I'm hoping that once you start playing the game it will be fairly obvious, but I've already begun thinking about ways to tutorialize it quickly. My go to reference for this stuff is always the Duck Game tutorial, which is genius.

Progress update:

Didn't end up having as much time to work on it this weekend as I would have liked, but I've now implemented some basic shooting mechanics (as well as the code that makes your time echoes also shoot).

shooting.gif

Did a bit of art today. Trying to get a good pixel-art style that I'm happy with.

Here's one of the new playable characters, Red Remo.

Red Remo.PNG

For some reason the only hand shape I could manage for the death sprite that didn't look weird was to make everyone flip you off, which I think is kind of appropriate.

flip.PNG

Spent all of tonight doing art after all. My goal is to have players able to select one of 6 different characters to play.

They are:

-Red Remo

-Breckon the Blue

-Rosy Rodkin

-Violet Vanaman

-Dark Danielle

-Grob Zacny (why can't any of the hosts have names that worked well with green?)

chars.png