Sign in to follow this  
phill

[Release] Cool Blob Future

https://titanfist.itch.io/cool-blob-future

Some more updates to come hopefully before the guys stream, and a post-mortem

----------

Team: 

Myself on code and art, Anders Groenningsaeter (MiniBoss Audio) on music!

Concept:

A one-button top-down brawler where the player picks up and uses enemies as a key/lock system to destroy environmental barriers and progress through each level. How's that for an elevator pitch?

Diversifiers:
Mainstream Thumbs, One of These Things is Not Like the Other, Wizard Jam Shared Cinematic Universe, Box Art, Learn by doing, From the horse’s mouth, Nice Segue, Game Development 100% Internalised.

Theme:

Alright so I think that the player will play a blob. This will make art pretty easy, v especially if, given it's a cool blob future, everyone else in the world is a blob. The game will start with the player character having just become a blob against their wishes. You will escape the birthing pod and begin your blobby reign of terror against the rest of blob kind, justified by the fact that You Need Answers.

Mechanics:

Each blob you encounter will fulfill different requirements for removing barriers in the environment. You will need to absorb them and spit them out to do so. So a particular barrier may require the player spitting three of a type of enemy at it, or a combination of different enemies. There's a lot of room to muck with the requirements so hopefully I can strike a balance that gives it a kind of action puzzle element. Pretty keen to get started!

I am also doing Cool Blob Future, and it is 100% different! This will be interesting to see the two different games.

4 hours ago, Travis said:

I am also doing Cool Blob Future, and it is 100% different! This will be interesting to see the two different games.

Awesome! I can't wait to see what you've got planned :D

Day 3 and/or 4 Update!

tl;dw I've been having fun getting the basic mechanics of the game down. Now that I pretty much have that done it's time to make some levels, develop some extra enemy AI to make it interesting, and polish up the art a looot more.

Day 7 Update!

tl;dw Got the building system working, some awesome audio from Anders, and looking to think hard about level design to make the absorbing and spitting out of enemies a fun thing.

tl:dw More work on the building system because I hadn't quite got it working into something interesting last time. Some more level design to go and maybe making some objectives not look like dicks.

Edit: Turns out that the audio is a little less loud in the video than I thought. Trust me when I say it's awesome.

Good to see the return of the phill aesthetic after enjoying it in Dung Beetle! All very nicely presented, the systems all work smoothly and it's a nice central concept. I did end up finding it too hard by the time I had both blue and red blobs on the same screen and needed three of each - I think I could have done with being a little faster or perhaps a period of invincibility after picking up a blob, to give me some more tactical thinking time. But I suck at games, so everyone else may breeze through it! 

Hey, thanks Ben! I didn't realise I had an aesthetic except for 'what on earth can I do that is simple as heck and doesn't look like complete arse'.

I definitely did not balance the levels/respawn times at all for that first release. I've now made that initial two-colour level full-size and lowered the respawn time so the player can have a bit more breathing room. The one after that is still pretty hard though! Thanks heaps for the feedback as usual, you're a machine! :D

I love the "hand drawn an cut out" style! The movement looks and feels really good too.