Gwardinen

Thumbs of Four (Gears of War 4)

I swear I'd have come up with a better thread title if I had enough sleep.

Is anyone playing Gears of War 4? I'm considering picking it up since I've heard some good things, despite some concerns about the PC performance. I'm curious as to whether anyone would be up for Horde Mode or even campaign coop with some Thumbs.

I started it two nights ago on XBONE. Have been playing a chapter a night after work, so still in Act 1. I've never Gears-d multiplayer. Closest I ever got was about half of Gears 2 same-screen co-op with my step dad back in the day. I'd be up to give it a try. I assume that PC and XBONE can play with each other? I don't have a WIN10 version because I got a deal on the disc version and figured that only being able to play on console was worth the $30 trade off.

10 hours ago, miffy495 said:

I assume that PC and XBONE can play with each other?

My understanding is that they can in everything but Versus Multiplayer. Presumably to avoid the whole mouse + keyboard vs controller thing.

I am on Xbox One and gagging for some Horde mode.

I created an Idle Thumbs club in which you can advertise a 'Looking For Game' in ahead of time.

That would also appear as an advert in other Club members party section.

If you were interested in Horde, what day would you be looking at, and what time/time zone?

I sent a request to the club. My Gamertag is Lord Tydeus because I haven't used Xbox Live for like 10 years and other dumb reasons.

As for times, I'm actually around most of this weekend so if anyone wants to get some Horde going I'm up for it.

I would happily play on horde mode if we can find time. I enjoy it, but my biggest knock is it takes literal hours to do a 1-50 run.

Okay, well I am in Thailand so, depending on where you live, there is likely a time difference.

Knowing what timezone you are in means I can organise my day (I am a house-husband, so I can make time most of the time).

I am an engineer at lvl 5, depending on what cards you have I recommend Soldier or Scout as a starting class. Unless you are wicked good as a sniper.

Have added Tydeus to the Club.

I've only done one Horde match so far so I'm a level 2 Soldier and nothing else. I'm in the UK, not sure about Badfinger. I may just leave the Xbox Windows app open and keep an eye out this weekend.

Right, talking to Gwardinen, we are aiming to play in around 5 and half hours. I think Miffy is in Calgary - that might make it tough if he isn't up yet.

I do have another Idle Thumbs friend who might be interested so if anyone is online. Come and join!

I just got up. I'll give it a go. I'm house-sitting at the moment and didn't bother to bring a headset with me, so there's that. I've never played it before and have no idea how long it may go, so apologies if I have to drop unexpectedly and am unable to explain.

That was good fun. I'd never played Horde before, and am only a few chapters into the campaign of Gears 4 at the moment, so that was my first encounter with a lot of things. Got pretty surprised by that boss that one-hitted me on wave 20 as I had no idea what the fuck it was. Whups. Sorry that I was trying to communicate via the text interface. I imagine it would have gone a lot better if I could have talked to people. I'll try and grab my headset from home to bring back to the place I'm at right now sometime before playing again.

Thanks, twmac!

Yeah I do actually have a headset but the Xbox Live interface on PC is a bit weird and I wasn't 100% sure how to get voice chat working. Also for whatever reason I had massive server issues and kept getting disconnected and lag. Even so, the little I got to play with you guys was fun and I can tell the Horde mode would be enjoyable to mess about with on various maps.

Yeah, that was great fun!

We also got really unlucky for Wave 20 to be that guy. For info it is the worst boss to get due to its speed and close range attacks. With all of the others there is some mitigation but I honestly thing that the developers need to nerf it a little. There is a similar one called the Carrier but it is slow and you can kite it away from your defences.

I have a regular group on Sunday nights that I play The Division and Titanfall with but I am around for the rest of the week and next weekend (midnight to 1AM Thai time is good for me just let me know and I won't get too drunk before hand).

Also - for your play style (Miffy) you might be better off looking into the Scout. They get bonuses to their health and power pick-ups (eventually) and boosts to shotgun damage.

To check that out go to the Horde option in the main menu and then look at Class Skills.

So judging from you saying that it was about 2am when we stopped, I'm guessing you're 14 hours ahead of me. I work a 9-5 (actually 7:45 - 5:30, but whatever), so weekdays I will be getting home from school right about when you will be waking up, and it seems like vice-versa. Weekends I'm usually all right though, especially Saturday mornings as that is the only time that my girlfriend works and I don't, so I have the house to myself and can voice-chat without worrying about being obnoxious.

I definitely started playing a bit faster and looser after the first few rounds, thinking that it would stay at about the same level of difficulty. When the combination of losing our third player and the difficulty curve ramping up hit, I was still playing like it was no big deal, so I definitely was sloppier than I should have been. I'll play around a bit and see what feels better between Scout and Soldier, though odds are that most of my online time will be Thumbs-focused. I don't think I've ever been into a multiplayer game in a big way that wasn't orchestrated around IT. From Grand Thumb Auto way back in 2008 to Formula Thumb with Forza 3 and pretty much anything else that didn't have a catchy name, it's always been Thumbs or ex-Thumbs that I've played with. I'm not a big multiplayer guy, but I've always enjoyed the extension of this community.

I picked this up because I've kinda been itching to play some Horde Mode, so if you guys are getting together any time soon-ish, let me know.  Time could be a little weird since I'm in Texas, but I can try to make it work.

Saturday seems to be the best idea - let me know what time you guys would be free and I can make it work.

Actually - this might be the only Saturday I can't join in as an old co-worker is visiting from Spain. If I am too hammered I'll avoid jumping in.

This Saturday isn't great for me anyway. My school is hosting a conference for Junior Highs from all over the province and as a guy who paid for teacher college by working as a theatre tech, I got drafted to run all of the stage stuff for the keynote speakers and such. I'll be at work pretty much continuously this weekend from 7:30 Friday morning until late afternoon Saturday. I think I'm actually sleeping in my classroom, which is a first for my career.

So it's been about 2 years since I've done anything related to Thumbs but I've been listening to the show lately and curiosity brought me back to these forums.  I picked this game up over the weekend on PC and would be down to play some organized games with you folks.  I will probably be around most evenings after work; say 6-8pm EST, generally being free all weekend as well.

This is my first Gears game and it's pretty fun so far.  I've mostly played social versus since I have a few other single player games in the hopper right now but I played a match of horde and found it decent.  Are the games always 50 waves?  That seems to be quite the commitment and I would image the mode wouldn't be as popular as it is if it always required this amount of time.

Yup, it is always 50 waves. My full team on Sunday managed to get to wave 41 on casual in less than an houe.

Also, welcome back! Your avatar has always unnerved me,

Hearing that you made it to wave 41 on casual in an hour definitely makes the mode more appealing to me.  I've only played it on normal twice and both times my team fell apart around wave 25 after about 90 minutes.  Granted these were just random public games so the lack of communication may have slowed the game down a bit.  I was also surprised to see the waves get as difficult as they do on normal, it helped reset my expectations for the mode.

Anyway my xbox tag is Kbohls and I sent an invite to the Idle Thumbs club.  Hope to get some games in this weekend!

I finally finished the single player and uninstalled it. I love Horde mode conceptually, but playing on casual doesn't appeal to me in a "I did it just to do it" sort of way, and even with a premade group a single normal playthrough could easily take 2+ hours. I sometimes have that kind of time, but I can't guarantee it or block it out for a single game and get 3 other people. :/

I'd have hoped they would have learned some stuff from Mass Effect's amazing multiplayer, but looks like they just took some coarse sandpaper and paint to the previous model. Oh well, holding out hope that the new ME horde mode continues the new tradition of being incredible.