Rilen

[RELEASE] Uwaki Hittoman

The game is out! 
There will be an update in a day or two with some gussied-up assets and a fuller ending, but it should be fully playable!
https://hellameaty.itch.io/hittoman

Big Week 1 Patch is up! I have fixed all the bugs that were keeping people from finishing the game! We are still going to have one more patch shortly to update a few rough art assets and add an ending screen, but the game should be fully playable and now includes credits!

Hello world!
I will be streaming development on my Twitch!   Nope, that didn't happen!
Hitman Mockup.png

I am going to hold back on starting the actual writing and plotting, but I have also written a lengthy design doc (shamelessly style-cribbed from travis), and it can be found here. If you want to see a folder with mood boards of the different visual elements that can be found here

I will be trying to stream some of the dev cycle as I struggle with a new engine (either TyrannoBuilder, Fungus, or Yarn) and scribble madly!

Basics: 

Cheatin' Hitman: Throwing Stars & Dead-End Bars

Visual Novel where a drunk, ornery, old 47's handler tries to get him to focus on recounting a mission. 

People already onboard! (we can always use more)

@kevin888 - art @JoelWmusic - music @Brett E @Mythalore - background art @vimes - character art @clicktozoom - voice acting

The game is out and I changed the name! ;-)

Whoo-hoo! That is awesome news! Could you send me a sample of a couple of sentences? I won't have lines till the after the jam officially starts and I let myself start writing, but you guys can check out the folder to see some concept art we're working on for her character. 

Alright, Day 1 coming to a close. I didn't have very much time between the start of Jam and when I have to get to sleep, so the first thing I focused on was getting a floor plan made so the artist could start thinking about the rooms needed. I did some poor paint layouts and uploaded them. Character sketches are coming along and we have basically nailed down a look for both the Hitman and the Handler. 
Going to try and get a draft of the action flow down tomorrow morning, then start playing with the engine. 
Still haven't decided which character the player will be controlling!

Day 2 and we are chugging along. 
 vimes has begun inking the character art and is providing some lovely background concepts. 
IMG_4371.JPG
Here is an old 47 concept, and here are some variable expression we can swap out during play:
IMG_4353.JPG

Mythalore is doing finished backgrounds in 3D and here is one with some lighting!
BarScene3D Art Test V2 Lighting.png

Meanwhile kevin888 is drawing up a concept for the menu screen. Picture this with snow!
Very basic sketch of menu background-.png

JoelWMusic is providing an excellent soundtrack, and today I tried out the engine (TyranoBuilder) for the first time, completing a short demo. Going to get know the scripting system in the next few days. 
Here is a screenshot from that demo:
testtest.png

Day 3: Not a log of visual progress to show, but got the three ending nailed down, and what they mean about the game world. 

Establishing what the flow of play will be. Will post a graphic tomorrow but basically trying to get:
Conversation establishing scene -> item selection -> reaction conversation -> move scenes.

Sound good? Understandable? Fun??

On 11/21/2016 at 0:44 AM, Rilen said:

IMG_4353.JPG

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I love this!

Day 4: Nothing much! Not a great day for getting things done and the rest of the team is working on their own projects. We'll keep plugging along though, hope tomorrow turns out to be more productive!

Day 5: 
Made a fun little flow chart to establish where we stand with assets currently
Flowchart.png

Mythalore did some lighting passes on the bar room 3D render, and here we are:
Bar_1_Full_Lighting_V6.png

And vimes and I codified the expressions we want for the 2 characters. I took a lot of goofy pictures of my face trying to figure out what I was going for, but I don't feel like posting that! Instead here is a progress shot of the inking and coloring stage for the character designs:
charactersprogress.png

Day 6&7: Working on the script, for which I am trying to find a way to write both text, object interaction notes, facial expression calls, and FX and music cues so I can then put them into a spreadsheet to make finding things easier. Not sure this is necessary but it's what I'm doing! 

Here's a taste of what that looks like:

script sample.png

Finalized the list of needed interactable objects and expressions for both characters, got more details down on room design, and came up with some easy ways to work in the WJCU. 
Here's a mock-up of a finished scene:
fake_screenshot.png

The script is finished!!!!

That's all for now. Getting it to the actors, figuring out the cues for facial expressions, etc. It was interesting how much of my original design doc came away when I actually started writing the thing. Some things just don't work, or were unmanageable in our time frame. Pleased with the few puzzles and interactions. Did a "playtest" over Skype with a notepad and telling someone each line from the script and then asking them what they wanted to click on from a list. Worked well! 

Whoo, building the thing! Now that I've got a finished script and the actors are looking at it, things are starting to come together!
My workspace:
schrean.png

Haha, tricked you! You thought it was spoilers but it's the most boring convo in the game!!

Anywhooo. The amazing @vimes is still cranking away on the art and character designs after bravely battling a rough illness. Today @mythalore knocked out another great 3D background to get painted on, the between rooms hallway that's going to be a real turning point in the character's relationship.
corridor_V1.png

And now there's a gif!
Sample1.gif

Got half the script in the engine with expressions and queues. Should be easy to put the voice lines in once I get them back. Background art should be ready in time but it will be close. Struggling to get TyranoBuilder to act like an adventure game engine, the inclusions of lots of variables and state checks has finally required getting into it's scripting. Going to finish getting the text and images in first. 

Our game is up! Still missing a few assets but it shouldn't be a problem. Will polish a bit in the next week. This was my first jam and an incredible experience learning from a ton of talented people. I can't wait to do it again. 
https://itch.io/jam/wizard-jam-4/rate/101139

Really enjoyed this - very nice visuals and acting, and an intriguing story. It did the thing that grates with me about most visual novels, which is making me click simply to progress the story rather than make a choice, but that's just me. Once the puzzles kicked in, I was very happy. Unfortunately, I was foiled by the getting-stuck bug just as I had

poisoned Gaynor

, so I might try again when you update with polish.

Oh, it was also cool to find shared audio and video assets!

Alright, another update! We have added more and better art, some missing lines of dialogue and further hunted down and trampled any bugs into oblivion! The game should be feature-complete and ready to go. There is even a sweet credit sequence at the end and all. I still have it listed as not quite version 1 only because I think it can be improved further, but now is a good time to check the game out if you have been waiting. Let me know how it goes!

That happens sometimes for some reason. It usually takes a few seconds and a mouse click? But I've added a bug report to check on it.