coughlinjon

[v2 - The Dab Update] The Eyes of Cheatin Hitman

Episode 1 is cool! I was a little disorientated by the teleporting at first, but figured out what was happening eventually. The dialogue's really good, and I'm looking forward to episode 2!

!!!2017 Update!!!

Hey, I'm still working! Our buildings are textured, we have a lot more clown audio recorded, we have a lot of clown costumes now, and most of the props are finished :) Also, Nate has done a killer job on the mood lighting! I'm saving most of the progress we've made on the buildings to surprise players on their first Episode 2 playthrough - this game is not heavy mechanically, so it'll rely a lot on the player's first impressions exploring the unique 3D spaces and clown conversations we've created.

I'd say that in the month since the jam has ended I've spent 70% of my dev time on one stupid spline tool (that I use for camera movement, NPC movement, vehicle movement - pretty much everything) and 30% on actually building The Eyes of Cheatin Hitman.

And of that 30% of game development time - most of it has gone toward increasing scope and making brand new things... like this boat! We have boats now and I'm struggling to convince myself there's a good reason for it.

boat.gif

I need to spend the rest of the time before the Thumbs stream working on the original game - so this is a message to myself to stop adding new features. I'm worried I won't finish, despite giving myself plenty of extra time.

Here's a gif of Agent 47 swinging an axe; this animation will be in the game.

axeswing.gif

Here's an animation of the player discovering their hands for the first time. I really want to put this into the game in first person, but I haven't modified the First Person Drifter controller to pause control to play scripted animations yet...

handrub.gif

Agent 47 will be able to pick up some things:

grab.gif

And hopefully throw them:

throw.gif

Those animations are fun in 1st person :)

Also, in hindsight I'm bummed that Episode 1 featured so little of the art/animations/props we'd created to that point - probably less than 30%. My teammates - Steven, Spence, Nate, and Bradford, all worked really hard for those first two weeks to make things, and then I shelved them for Episode 2. All of the original art and more will be in the final game, and I think it'll be a fun thing :) But I do wish I had found an organic way to show off their work earlier.

In summary, wish us luck slamming all of this silly stuff into something cohesive. This has been the most fun I've ever had on a game project (except for the 5 minutes when I recorded Luigi singing Hotline Bling).

Woot! Wizard Jam 4!!!

Good luck! I'm very much looking forward to playing the final product!

After a lot of work Sunday, I finally have a camera that will somewhat force players to watch their hand animations while they are active. Mirror's Edge cam :D. It's going to hard to do anything in the next two weeks other than make new FP hand animations.

fishingFP.gif

!!! HELP REQUEST !!!

Our hall of fame is full of neat statues, but we have no 2D artwork - just a bunch of the same Bozo face that we originally stubbed in from the internet.

If there are any bored 2D artists out there, I could use simple drawings/paintings that fit the theme "Famous Moments in Clowning History" to hang on the walls :)

Send me a DM, find me in Slack, or [email protected]. Thanks in advance, but no that I'm not expecting much

Patch Time :D

With the first push of Episode 2, I'm ready to work on a patch to improve some of it. 

I'd like to add more interaction, but eyes of cheatin hitman won't turn into a mechanical game like the actual Hitman series. I'd like to play with interaction that is more performative. 

Ex. the only interactive props right now are a fishing pole and an axe. The player can use the fishing pole to pull credits out of the water in my interactive credits sequence. The player cannot swing the axe, but when she clicks 47 will move the axe into different static positions. 

I see The Eyes of Cheatin Hitman closer to an interactive play than a mechanical game; I'd like to add more performative first-person animations like juggling, eating, or balloon art. 

Other considerations for this patch:

0. Pause cinematics when Esc is hit

0.1 Add cinematic skipping (mostly for development purposes)

0.2 Initialize clown animations at non-zero location
1. Full credits sequence - necessary

2. Better jump cuts - needs research and brainstorming

3. Hall of Fame statue/painting annotations

4. Add in extra audio that I didn't have time to edit originally

5. A dot gobbler

6. A digital art book (like quadrilateral cowboy) - this is a long shot, but boy would it be fun :D

7. Clean up the briefing sequence

On 1/21/2017 at 1:32 AM, coughlinjon said:

We have waiters on unicycles!!!

Happy Screenshot Saturday :) 

waiters.gif

The unicycle paths are awesome, but I'm distracted by how super unsettling it is that one clown at each table nods then shakes their head in perfect sync. I feel like they're all going to slowly turn toward the camera after doing so.

Do you still need clown art? I didn't have free time to last week, but wanted to help if you still had placeholders in need of silly art.

9 hours ago, Squawk Squardon said:

The unicycle paths are awesome, but I'm distracted by how super unsettling it is that one clown at each table nods then shakes their head in perfect sync. I feel like they're all going to slowly turn toward the camera after doing so.

Do you still need clown art? I didn't have free time to last week, but wanted to help if you still had placeholders in need of silly art.

1. you're right! I need to add a randomization to the point in the animations where each clown starts. it's awful when they're in sync

2. Absolutely on the clown art! right now I'm duplicating the couple pieces I have and putting filters over them. Any new art will get used :D

On 2/5/2017 at 11:43 AM, coughlinjon said:

AAA

AAA.gif.1985297602d5843ac67034afe01868a3.gif

What is this guy doing?

He has the best voice of all. I stood watching and listening him for a LONG time when I played.

10 hours ago, Travis said:

What is this guy doing?

He has the best voice of all. I stood watching and listening him for a LONG time when I played.

That is my own personal favorite celebration dance - it's supposed to be strapping into an anti-aircraft gun and then peppering the sky lol :D Hence, "AAA"

the clowns all randomize, so that you happened to find the combo of magician suit and squishy lips face to pair with an interesting dialog line makes me pretty happy - when I test the game I don't even see the costume/face combinations anymore. I was so excited when Steven first sent over the faces, though, so I'm really happy they make an impression to new players!

Do you remember any of his story? I'd like to compliment the voice actor who played him!

5 hours ago, coughlinjon said:

Do you remember any of his story? I'd like to compliment the voice actor who played him!

Crap, I can't remember. It was the goofiest voice, though... But it was well done and serious goofy, not like a guy making a crazy voice. Top-notch. Sorry I can't remember what he was saying...

These things are all over the Hall of Fame now.

Get pumped for Patch 1!*!*!*!*!*!*!

worldbuilding.gif.4b1b77c32617e42c90494a7f4effb7fb.gif

I need a name for it. I like the way Blendo does his updates "The Horse Update" or whatever the first one was, lol. I'm thinking of doing something like that

I finally played this, and it's fantastic. I've never played a Hitman game (I have Blood Money in my backlog), so I can't directly compare, but I get the feeling that the NPCs discussing clown politics and career paths will feel spot-on for those familiar with the series. I was also surprised and relieved that it was relatively linear and narrative-based; I was not looking forward to struggling with stealth mechanics and fail states to get to the good stuff! The presentation's fantastic, from the abstract briefing layout and the in-game jump-cuts to the voice-acting (hipster clown!) and spectacular clown-assassination painting (cough). The ending was lovely, too.

My only feedback really would be that, as with Eyes Of Luigi, the item-holding/interaction system was a little muddy, and that it would have been nice to have a couple more puzzles in there to match the impressive level of incidental detail.

1 hour ago, Ben X said:

I finally played this, and it's fantastic. I've never played a Hitman game (I have Blood Money in my backlog), so I can't directly compare, but I get the feeling that the NPCs discussing clown politics and career paths will feel spot-on for those familiar with the series. I was also surprised and relieved that it was relatively linear and narrative-based; I was not looking forward to struggling with stealth mechanics and fail states to get to the good stuff! The presentation's fantastic, from the abstract briefing layout and the in-game jump-cuts to the voice-acting (hipster clown!) and spectacular clown-assassination painting (cough). The ending was lovely, too.

My only feedback really would be that, as with Eyes Of Luigi, the item-holding/interaction system was a little muddy, and that it would have been nice to have a couple more puzzles in there to match the impressive level of incidental detail.

thanks so much for the feedback :) I'm disappointed in myself for not having dramatically improved the item interactions in my FP games yet - it's something I'm working on for patch #1. 

Also, I think I will still have limited-to-zero puzzles, but I am hoping to patch in more performative item interaction (I think this will match the tone of my game better).

I leave on Train Jam Feb 22. I haven't yet prepared for Train Jam or GDC in general, so I want to push the Dab Update by Saturday Morning. Below is my feature list in order of necessity and the time I expect each of them to take. I hope I get everything done lol :blink:

The Dab Update

Feature Checklist

1. Credits Sequence (2 hrs) took 4 :(

2. HOF Details

3. Mission Briefing Text (4 hrs) took 2.5

4. Bathroom Animation (1 hr)

5. Dance Key (1 hr)

6. New Voice Over (3 hrs) took 3.5 hrs

1. pardon me's took 2 hrs

2. control room dialog took 1.5 hrs

7. Pause screen pauses audio

Wish List

1. Assassination Cinematic Updates (2 hrs)

2. Jump cut smoothing (smarter music transitions) (4 hrs)

3. Piano Player

4. More interactivity (?????) ie eatable cheese?