coughlinjon

[v2 - The Dab Update] The Eyes of Cheatin Hitman

I needed a bunch of static poses, so I made them each as separate keys in a single animation. When I was finished I hit play to see what they'd look like smoothed together. I call this The Dance of the Magicians Guild.

dance.gif

This is rad as hell. I'm so impressed how quickly you picked up blender modelling, unwrapping and animation. Kudos.

2 hours ago, fierydrake said:

This is rad as hell. I'm so impressed how quickly you picked up blender modelling, unwrapping and animation. Kudos.

Thanks! I followed this tutorial step by step, and after 2 or 3 restarts I got a model with bones I can drag around. If I were to start something from scratch, I bet it'd take me weeks to have any idea what I was doing again. I have a unicycle model from Spence waiting to be animated, but I'm too afraid to add bones and try to connect it to a clown lol. It'll be a final touch, or maybe something that goes in post-jam

I had a productive afternoon, I think.

I wanted to do a mission briefing cinematic like they do in the Hitman games - they're mostly slow pans over static characters. I was planning to have hard cuts between shots of different characters, but setting up the timing and event systems was going to take me a bit of time. Instead I decided to leverage a spline tool I had created for a project I tried to help @BigJKO with a while ago, and I turned my spline into a camera track. Now I have my intro cinematic structured kind of like a roller coaster ride, with the camera spiraling upwards from static scene to static scene. 

The draft is sloppy - I'm still getting used to the motion, but attached is a screenshot of the spline in my game, and linked is a youtube clip of about half the draft intro.

camera spline.gif

I'm happy with the direction it's heading :D and I think that if I get the timings down and add text and simple graphics as a UI overlay, I could have a neat little intro sequence (which could also be converted straight to a trailer!!! - That's what IO does for Hitman). I plan to use this spline camera track for my outro as well ;) 

I am so impressed by this (and many other projects in the jam). The level of ambition and quality that people put into this is just staggering.

I can't wait to see how the Thumbs are going to react to this Hitman briefing!

I'm real curious to see how the "hit" itself will go down, a Blendo Games/Virginia take on Hitman sounds very intriguing!

The Eyes of Cheatin Hitman

Episode 1 - The ICA Training Facility

I didn't know what to call this first release - Early Access? v0.1? Episode 1? 

The Eyes of Cheatin Hitman will not be released in full by my 10pm Wizard Jam 4 deadline. Instead, we will release Episode 1 - The ICA Training Facility by jam close. We will release Episode 2 - Baraboo in a week or two when we've pulled it together.

We are creating a game a bit bigger than I had time to pull together, and one that is a linear narrative experience. Most of the jokes and gameplay rely on pacing, surprise, and suspense, so rather than post an unfinished and ineffective version that might detract from a second playthrough of the polished level, we're stripping most of the audio, cinematics, and NPCs out and letting players familiarize themselves with the ICHOF facility.

Episode 1 will still have original content and conversation, and we're going to try our best to make it a worthwhile 2-5 minute prologue to the full-featured Episode 2. 

lol - writing a release delay announcement makes me giggle, but I'm going for it anyways :P 

Can anyone tell me, have we had an Episodic Release Schedule diversifier yet? Can I call it the Telltale? (or the IO Interactive, since Hitman does it too).

Episode 1 will post later tonight - we hope you enjoy its brevity. 

ha! Thanks, Travis :)

Here's the hologram machine I've wasted my time building to explain the different rooms to 47 during the Episode 1 training mission. I wanted to put in something more than just a plain audio track. lol, I think it's pretty silly.

hologram.gif

Episode 1 Release Thread

Episode 1 - The ICA Training Facility - of The Eyes of Cheatin Hitman is now available :D

TitleEp1.PNG

Episode 1 includes the draft introduction cinematic followed by a free roam around the ICA mock-up of the International Clown Hall of Fame. The mock-up facility is full of hologram machines where 47's handler will fill her in on the latest intelligence. 

shortHologram.gif

Our development focus will now shift back to Episode 2 - Baraboo - but we'll continue to update the training facility with props and holograms as ICA intelligence of the facility and event improve. Add the game to your ITCH collection if you'd like to receive updates when we make improvements.

8 hours ago, Patrick R said:

I got to the room with the Comedy/Tragedy masks. Is that the end? I couldn't figure out anyway to proceed from there.

Yeah, that's the end. I should have been more explicit. Ep 1 only exists to famiarize you with the space.sorry if you wasted any time :(

12/9 Intel Update

- Added rabbit and top hat to the magician performing an illusion (intro scene)

- Added windows to buildings

- Added final hologram to notify 47 that all intel has been communicated

Very cool and extremely well made. Clown animations and the environment are top notch. I'm looking forward to future episodes!

From the get-go this already feels like it could have been a Crows Crows Crows production! Very good start, love the voice acting and subtle music. The mockup spaces feel impressive, and I'm looking forward to seeing the real ones in episode 2, filled with clowns to murder. Good luck!