Sign in to follow this  
fanomatic

Chillsim VR

Greetings! I'm Fanomatic and I'm new to the forum. It's nice to meet you all! :)

Me and my two friends Silverfish and cej are currently developing a VR-project for fun and we felt like sharing our progress as we go. We call it "Chillsim VR" (working title), and as the name implies it's a sort of relaxing experience where you sit out in a forest by a fire and grill hotdogs and marshmallows. The idea is that you should be able to put logs on the fire to keep it going and be able to eat the stuff you're grilling.

The project is created using Unity 5, and the graphical style is very inspired by Firewatch so it will have a hand-drawn style to it. We think that style fits the mood we want to create and there's lots of reference-material to look at.

So to start things up, here are some pictures of what we have so far:

Things are still pretty early on. Most objects are greyboxed and lack textures, but this way we can have a look at how things look scale-wise in VR. We are using a HTC Vive and the blue square you can see in the last two pictures shows the area that the player can move over.

Morebackdrop trees.jpg

New terrain.jpg

BackdropTrees.jpg

Directional light.jpg

I like this idea a lot! I also like the environment you've got going so far... although "hand drawn" as you say, it is definitely very evocative and inviting.

Yeah we are definitely going with a stylised look. I am doing mainly art stuff for this project. The skybox is placeholder btw. 

Everyone on the project is free to work on what they want to since we are just doing this for fun, and it's a good excuse for me to do art, which I don't get to do too often otherwise, so it's definitely not going to be as good as Firewatch.

Yep, I think it's a nice opportunity to do stuff that you don't normally do. Myself I create particles, code stuff and work on the level design among else. I also own a Vive, so I'm making sure everything looks good in VR.

We're working in iterations on all objects, so we start with greybox-versions of everything so we can see how it looks scale-wise in game. Then for iteration 2, 3 etc. we add stuff such as code-functionality, textures and so on. Most things are currently iteration 1, so there's few textures and functionality. Like Cej said, the Sky-box is just a default from the "Sky5X One" pack and was just thrown in there to get a feeling for the scene.

Here's some WiP closeups of our scene objects in iteration 1 made by Cej. It's a marshmallow, a stick (that you will be able to pick up and put the marshmallow on) and the campfire.

Marchmallow.jpg

Super-tasty marshmallow

Stick.jpg

Stick for grilling stuff with!

Campfire.jpg

Camp-fire (Now has a particle effect!)