Twig

Classic Free Games (AKA Indie before It Was Called Indie (AKA Klik'n'Play, Multimedia Fusion, GameMaker, RPGMaker, etc.))

~~ THIS IS A NOSTALGIA THREAD ~~

(And Before They Started Stealing Our Money, Those Greedy Indie Devs!!!)

Lately I been playin' a bunch of shitty RPG Maker games on Steam,  I don't remember how I got them, but I decided to play them. They bad. Some aren't, though! (Last Word is my fav so far, it's a mystery game, where you battle with words, it's not particularly innovative, but it's got a nice flavor to it. Check it out!)

Anyway it reminded me of The Olden Days when I was a small child boy without bottomless piles of cash and instead of resorting to DIRTY PIRACY like the REST OF YOU THIEVES (itotallydidittoo) I found myself looking at free games available on the internet! 

Here's a few I RPG Maker games I remember enjoying the hell out of for reasons.. also one MMF (Multimedia Fusion) game:

A Blurred Line - https://rpgmaker.net/games/92/

ABL_Title.PNG

Big ol' epic sci-fi thing, I don't think I ever beat it, but I defo put some time into it.

The Way - http://www.crestfallen.us/

2091853-way1_5.png

It featured slightly modified stock RPG Maker sprites, and WOW that prerendered art for backgrounds, and the UI during battles was pretty ugly... But the atmosphere at the time really pulled me in. I only ever beat two of the six episodes (the others came out after I'd kinda stopped paying attention to Free Games).

NigSek - https://rpgmaker.net/games/100/

NaMTTitlefinal.png

Yeah it's a Zelda fan game. And it features traditional JRPG battles, not Zelda style gameplay. Hah! I loved it anyway. It had a progressing timeline, similar to Majora's Mask, but you couldn't rewind!!! Also, honestly, there was no reason it had to be related to Zelda at all, besides some links like the Deku Tree, etc. Could've easily just themed it differently. Obviously a project of passion... I later discovered that SovanJedi posted on GAF and I gushed to him about it one day. And also complained about the game-breaking bug that he never fixed that stopped me from beating the game!

Eternal Daughter - http://www.derekyu.com/games.html

ed.gif

It's a classic Derek Yu joint!! First time I saw a free game like this and thought "wow, this looks just as good as a REAL game!" Hehe, "real". Anyway, rad.

I make no claim that they're actually good, but... I definitely remember liking them at the time. Also maybe a "what was ACTUALLY good from back then??" thread.

Help me remember the games of yore. I used to have a giant folder full of them, full of all the games I'd ever played, but it was lost at some point. Weirdly, even though I'm not the kind of person to just keep physical junk around because it means something to me, I'm always super sad when I lose something DIGITAL, because it's basically free to keep that shit! Why do I ever delete it? Just buy another hard drive ya dope! ):

Also if anyone can remember the name of a massive database website, it was specifically devoted to Clickteam products, I think, so Klik'n'Play, The Games Factory, Multimedia Fusion... It also definitely had "click" or "klik" in the url somewhere. I'm hoping the website still exists. I'm assuming it doesn't, but... just maybe?? Even in the internet archives?? It'd be cool to revisit that website in some fashion. Maybe find the names of some of those games I used to play. For a period of about a year I would download and try literally every single game uploaded to that website. I'm not exaggerating. I even went through the entire archive up to that point, too, and then kept up with releases from there. I'd delete the ones I hated outright, and save the rest. I was obsessive, to say the least. 

~~ THIS IS A NOSTALGIA THREAD ~~

1 hour ago, Twig said:

Also if anyone can remember the name of a massive database website, it was specifically devoted to Clickteam products, I think, so Klik'n'Play, The Games Factory, Multimedia Fusion... It also definitely had "click" or "klik" in the url somewhere. I'm hoping the website still exists. I'm assuming it doesn't, but... just maybe?? Even in the internet archives?? It'd be cool to revisit that website in some fashion.

The Daily Click or its predecessor Click Cafe? (The Daily Click has a timeline to dig through of other prominent sites if it's neither of those.)

Side note: I can't believe The Daily Click is still running! The newest game was uploaded twenty days ago. There's a frontpage post from one of the same old mods dated yesterday!

I have nothing to contribute since I didn't know about free pc games until recently, but this is an interesting post to me.

AHHH it's definitely the daily click holy shit *bookmarks* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

you just made my day

DINK SMALLWOOD DEFINITELY COUNTS

I PLAYED THAT A LOT

THERE WAS A PIG OR SOMETHING??

There's a mobile version now but I never bothered trying it.

I don't know, does it? (I've never played it.)

I played so much Dink Smallwood in junior high school. That game was both terrible and awesome. There is a part of me that is incredibly happy to know that other people even remembered it, let alone loved it. So many hours lost...

9 hours ago, miffy495 said:

I played so much Dink Smallwood in junior high school. That game was both terrible and awesome. There is a part of me that is incredibly happy to know that other people even remembered it, let alone loved it. So many hours lost...

SO MUCH GRINDING

I definitely never even came close to beating Dink Smallwood. I did play a bunch of mods for it? I don't remember any of them being great. I don't even remember Dink Smallwood being great. I just know I loved playing it and I spent a lot of time with it and going back to it now would almost certainly be a mistake.

yeah well gaf banned me for having the gall to not want to murder hello games so

Anyway indie games are one thing, and resources for contemporary indie games are fairly easy to find. Resources for older ones, before indie was even a thing? Not so much!

Yeah, that was the earliest thread I could find, but it was created in 2007 which is around the time that people started using the word indie. So it has a lot of the older things in it like... Toribash!

Image result for toribash original version

What a bizarre game! It looks like there's a spruced up version on Steam now, but the original game was a simple 2 player fighting game where you would control characters by contracting or expanding their individual muscles. If you were good you could punch or rip your opponent's limbs off, but more often than not matches would result in players flailing around and falling to the floor. I think you could also do things like rip your own arm off and use it as a cudgel to beat your opponent. Fun times(?)

Edit: That thread also has some of Ikiki's games. They were a ridiculously prolific but mysterious Japanese developer that seems to have been forgotten recently. There's a good write-up on them here: https://theludoffin.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/check-out-time-ikiki/

I did remember 3 more games, Liero, Soldat and Deluxe Ski Jumping

liero1.gif

SS-Soldat.jpg[

deluxe-ski-jump-2-08-700x468.png

We used to play tons of Liero and DSJ in "high school", I didn't know what to think about the fact that DSJ had an option for my/our language.

Liero looks like loads of fun! It was receiving many positive mentions on the RPS forum on their "50 best free games" article. 

I remember Dink Smallwood, but only vaguely. If memory serves it was a bit of a parody of Divine Divinity, or something of that ilk? I might try and play it again, not to see if it holds up - I can't remember if I thought it was any cop at the time - but just out of curiosity.

I played loads of N+ when I was in college. A supremely satisfying game once you'd gotten the hang of the (fairly tricky, slippery) handling. Absolutely loads of levels as well, I never finished them all.

Fairly recently, I found out about a creator going by the name Locamalito, all of whose games are free. I recommend Viriax, which is a fresh idea for a schmup style game, and Les Abbayes Des Morts. 

10 hours ago, Ben X said:

brkl and miffy love Liero.

Damn straight I do. I'm a bit too young to have played it in high school, but in fifth grade I permanently had a 3.5" disc in my backpack that I could put into any school computer and boot Liero from to play with my friends. That game was the shit.