tabacco

Still newer forum!

Hey everyone, as you can probably see we've (finally) upgraded to the latest release of our forum software. A few things will have changed, and I've made a few notes here:

• If you previously had a display name that was separate from your login name, you'll find that they've now been merged and your old display name is now the only username for your account. You can also log in with your email address now, if that's easier.
  • As of when I'm posting this, there's a job running to reindex all existing content in the forum for the new version. Until it finishes, you may see some weirdness around the forums. Notably, bbcode that isn't being displayed correctly, broken search, and so on. These should resolve themselves over the next several hours as the index job runs.
  • There's no longer a mobile theme, the new software uses a responsive design instead.
  • The header art and some of the styling is a bit messed up at the moment, because I am not a frontend person. Chris and Jake will hopefully be along shortly to make them look less terrible.

Thanks for bearing with us through the downtime tonight, and hopefully the newer software is a smoother and more modern experience for everyone :)

Cool! I think it was a good idea to upgrade.

What is the weird flag in the header of a post? Keeps getting highlighted and unhighlighted

I'm not sure I see what you're asking about... Can you grab a screenshot?

Good job with the responsive design. Because I am a dork, when I go to a new web page I regularly mess around with the browser size to see what happens. This one passed the test. All the other upgrades seem great too!

Looks great! :tup: Scales nicely for mobile too, which is cool.

My eyes are naturally drawn to the (not that useful) dark tags instead of the light blue texts in the list of topics. That is not a big issue, though.

Good job, Tobacco! Looks nice, a bit more modern. It's always hard to let go of the old, but onwards & upwards!

Yeah, this is super nice! Much much better on mobile than the old one. Well done tabacco! :tup::tup::tup: 

:stan:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

don't look great on iphone 6 

:hmph:

:wtf:

Hi

:cens0r:

Well done tabacco, looks goooood!

:devil:

i was promised emoji

Has anyone else encountered problems with reuploading an avatar? I logged in this morning and noticed mine was gone, but it wouldn't let me reupload it. Is the 50kb limit an intended thing? (It also threw up a similar message when i tried importing from URL) 

Spoiler

4PCtIWc.png

Also, thanks for the upgrade, Doug!

22 minutes ago, dibs said:

:stan:

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

don't look great on iphone 6 

:hmph:

:wtf:

Hi

:cens0r:

Well done tabacco, looks goooood!

:devil:

i was promised emoji

😎 💤💩

:dopefish:I see the upgrade was worth it.:ancient:

Actually, there's a space missing between Location and the words that follow, right here to the left <--

6 hours ago, Nappi said:

Looks great! :tup: Scales nicely for mobile too, which is cool.

My eyes are naturally drawn to the (not that useful) dark tags instead of the light blue texts in the list of topics. That is not a big issue, though.

Yeah the themes aren't done yet, those are waiting on Jake and Chris to roll through.

3 hours ago, zerofiftyone said:

Has anyone else encountered problems with reuploading an avatar? I logged in this morning and noticed mine was gone, but it wouldn't let me reupload it. Is the 50kb limit an intended thing? (It also threw up a similar message when i tried importing from URL) 

Hide contents

4PCtIWc.png

Also, thanks for the upgrade, Doug!

I upped it to 100kb, let me know if that's better.

2 hours ago, osmosisch said:

Hey, gravatar still works :o)

Actually it looks like it was disabled, but I just re-enabled it.

2 hours ago, Jutranjo said:

:dopefish:I see the upgrade was worth it.:ancient:

Actually, there's a space missing between Location and the words that follow, right here to the left <--

Fixed!

It now asks me to allow Safari push notifications on the Mac, which seems handy, but the notification settings are all about emails. Will that be coming online at some point?

It also automatically opted me into instant email updates for every post on every followed thread, even though I had disabled that on the old version. 😬

I would assume it'll notify you in-browser of new messages, etc. while you're browsing? We didn't write the forum software, so I can't really answer questions about its feature roadmap.

It's lookin' nice! Everything's all big and bubbly.

...How do I get back my beloved "New Posts" view, though? D: I know there's an "unread content" button where that used to be, but it presents full posts instead of just the topic names (which I can then click to get to first unread post).

EDIT: Oh I found it. On that unread content page, there's an option for "condensed" view. Perfect!

(It annoys me ever-so-slightly that pressing enter does Two new lines, instead of just the one line, like it used to. I can press shift+enter to get the old behavior, but if there's a preference somewhere to change that, I'd be happy. Mostly just because it's so ingrained into me to double-tap the enter key!)

I think that I (or maybe everyone) is unable to post in the Podcast threads anymore. Otherwise, looks great.

21 hours ago, tabacco said:

I would assume it'll notify you in-browser of new messages, etc. while you're browsing? We didn't write the forum software, so I can't really answer questions about its feature roadmap.

I just got one about Dewar's post up there, maybe because it happened while I had this thread open? Normally they work even while the site is not open, which is where my thought that they would replace emails came from.

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

I think that I (or maybe everyone) is unable to post in the Podcast threads anymore. Otherwise, looks great.

Should be fixed now, I think.

3 hours ago, Twig said:

(It annoys me ever-so-slightly that pressing enter does Two new lines, instead of just the one line, like it used to. I can press shift+enter to get the old behavior, but if there's a preference somewhere to change that, I'd be happy. Mostly just because it's so ingrained into me to double-tap the enter key!)

Yeah agreed. Should be back to the old behavior now.

Just noticed in the episode 284 thread, Youtube embeds are huge now.

Oh yeah, I changed the default size, but it only affects new ones. I'll run a rebuild of post content to see if it'll resize existing ones down to the new limit.