Sign in to follow this  
Vulpes Absurda

Two cars holding hands on a beach, a loving look shared between them (Forza Horizon 3)

So who's up for some racing? Maybe some custom car decals? This is the first one of these I'm going to play so I'm not sure what to put here.

I'm looking forward to this. I have never played a Forza Horizon game, as I have never owned an Xbox. In fact, it's been a while since I have played any kind of racing game. I'm not expecting this to be Burnout Paradise 2, but it still looks super fun.

Gotta say, buying this game on PC hasn't been made easy. For example, I couldn't find the different versions through microsoftstore.com but could find them through microsoft.com/fi-fi/store/... which the base url actually directs me to microsoftstore.com where I cannot find the different versions of Forza Horizon 3 anymore. 

I *think* you just buy the one version and you get both regardless. I can understand not wanting to buy it if you don't know for sure though.

You won't get the PC version if you buy the physical copy of the Xbox One version. There is not physical copy for the PC version. The Microsoft Store page search only finds the physical copy of the Xbox One version (none of the downloadable versions). If you manually go to Games > PC Games or Games > Windows Games (which lead you to the same page) you can find the banner for Forza Horizon 3 Ultimate Edition. Through that page you can switch to the Standard Edition, which costs as much as the physical copy in Microsoft Store (and 10 euros more than in many other stores). This version works with Windows 10 Anniversary Edition. According to the site, the minimum and recommended system requirements are Windows 10 and Windows 10, respectively.

Microsoft has really managed to streamline this shit.

I'm really looking forward to this.  I really enjoyed both Horizon games so far, and basically bought an Xbox because of Horizon 2 (and Sunset Overdrive).  I played the demo for the new one and I'm really ready for this thing to come out.

You won't get the PC version if you buy the physical copy of the Xbox One version. There is not physical copy for the PC version. The Microsoft Store page search only finds the physical copy of the Xbox One version (none of the downloadable versions). If you manually go to Games > PC Games or Games > Windows Games (which lead you to the same page) you can find the banner for Forza Horizon 3 Ultimate Edition. Through that page you can switch to the Standard Edition, which costs as much as the physical copy in Microsoft Store (and 10 euros more than in many other stores). This version works with Windows 10 Anniversary Edition. According to the site, the minimum and recommended system requirements are Windows 10 and Windows 10, respectively.

Microsoft has really managed to streamline this shit.

It used to say it requires the Anniversary update on the store page, I assume that's still the case, and the upgrade process isn't trivial. You might want to update early if you haven't already. Also, the store app in Win10 refuses to detect my memory, so it initially wouldn't let me buy it because I didn't have the 4gb minimum requirement. I assume that's why the requirements just say Win10 now with no other details.

Edit: While I have played a lot of Forza games, this will be my first Forza horizon. I was really into Test Drive Unlimited, sp I'm looking forward to it, and I'm hoping the fact that I can play it either on my TV or Monitor will help me not drop it after a few days like Forza 6.

If you guys do play, let me know what club you join as me and a friend on Xbox One can join that Maybe create an IDT/IDL(Idle thumbs) club for everyone?

I'd be fine with making a Thumbs club or joining one. My internet is a slow though so who knows when I'll be able to actually play given that it's 50 gigs.

Also I looked it up and the multiplayer is crossplatform with both versions which is both great and means my Xbox One is even more useless then I expected. :P

EDIT: I can't tell if I own the PC version? I have the xbox one digital version but I can't find any info on how to get it on PC. I just have the standard edition so maybe I just need to wait a little longer to get it.

EDIT: I can't tell if I own the PC version? I have the xbox one digital version but I can't find any info on how to get it on PC. I just have the standard edition so maybe I just need to wait a little longer to get it.

You should be able to preload it now. Go into the Windows Store on your PC and make sure you're logged in to your XBL account and it should show up under your purchases.

I only see 1 listing on My Library as well, but there was a down arrow on it for download and I hit that to get it to load.  I don't actually see a separate listing for an Xbox version.

So I did a bad and bought the ultimate edition of this mostly because my wife is going to be out of town for the weekend and I wanted a big stupid video game to distract myself with. Seems really cool so far and it's running well on my good not great PC (i5, 970). It hasn't quite lived up to the promise of The Verge's review that said it was the Fast and Furious video game I've always wanted, but that could just be because I'm in the first few hours.

My experience hasn't been as good. I have a i5-2500K and GTX 1070 and even at low to medium settings, the framerate occasionally drops to about 40 FPS (more often in the city area) making handling temporarily very difficult. Then again, the framerate wasn't that much worse on high presets. For comparison, I am able to run The Witcher 3 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided at close to highest settings just fine.

I wonder if this game is more CPU intensive than those games. I wouldn't like to upgrade my CPU and motherboard just for this game. Of course, the game isn't even released yet, so I'll wait a couple of weeks for performance patches before making any decisions.

Other than that, I'm liking this game quite a bit so far, although I'm still confused by all the systems that are in place.

Ok, I turned everything to high and capped the framerate to 30 (something no PC player should ever be forced to do) and the game runs fine now, i.e. no more gameplay-ruining stuttering. People are suspecting that the issues are related to poor implementation of multithreading (one CPU core is at 100% while the other cores and the GPU have free resources). Hopefully, this is something that can be patched later.

This game is really good! Practically every design decision is geared towards making this a fun, "relaxed" experience. Definitely scratching my Burnout Paradise itch.

Now that I'm starting to understand how this game works, my plan is to buy a 1968 Abarth 595, customize the hell out of it, and just drive around gorgeous Australia.

By the way, I found this in a barn:

Forza_reliant.jpg

Triple post: I created Idle Car Club. You can join it when you have progressed enough in the game (it will be obvious when). I made it invite only for the moment, because I don't know what happens to open clubs in Forza Horizon games. This can be changed if necessary.

I don't exactly know how to invite people either but add me as a friend (gamertag: knappi22) or give me your username and I will figure it out.

My experience hasn't been as good. I have a i5-2500K and GTX 1070 and even at low to medium settings, the framerate occasionally drops to about 40 FPS (more often in the city area) making handling temporarily very difficult. Then again, the framerate wasn't that much worse on high presets. For comparison, I am able to run The Witcher 3 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided at close to highest settings just fine.

I wonder if this game is more CPU intensive than those games. I wouldn't like to upgrade my CPU and motherboard just for this game. Of course, the game isn't even released yet, so I'll wait a couple of weeks for performance patches before making any decisions.

Other than that, I'm liking this game quite a bit so far, although I'm still confused by all the systems that are in place.

It's been running fine for me with the exception of the occasional framerate dip when there's a lot going on (usually it just feels like the game pauses for about a second and then catches up). My CPU an i5-6600K, so maybe that's what's making my experience a bit smoother than yours. 

I haven't gotten to a point when I can join a club, but I'd be up for it when I do. Stupidly the Microsoft account that I used for my Windows install is different than the one from my 360, so rather than "PrettyUnsmart" my gamertag is some gibberish randomly generated thing (I looked it up, it's FootsoreCrib394...what?). 

It's been running fine for me with the exception of the occasional framerate dip when there's a lot going on (usually it just feels like the game pauses for about a second and then catches up). My CPU an i5-6600K, so maybe that's what's making my experience a bit smoother than yours. 

I haven't gotten to a point when I can join a club, but I'd be up for it when I do. Stupidly the Microsoft account that I used for my Windows install is different than the one from my 360, so rather than "PrettyUnsmart" my gamertag is some gibberish randomly generated thing (I looked it up, it's FootsoreCrib394...what?). 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure now that the CPU is the bottleneck, so it makes sense that your experience is smoother. I'm interested to see if they manage to reduce or CPU load or distribute it better among different cores. Fortunately, the game doesn't drop frames when I lock it to 30 FPS, so the gameplay is not affected.

You can change the gamertag in the Xbox app (once for free, I think). You can also log out and log in with a different account, that would probably fuck things up with Forza Horizon 3 purchase and/or progress.

Glad I went for one of the better CPUs when I upgraded last two years ago then. Though if you put a gun to my head I couldn't tell you which one it was. An I 49758675309 maybe?

So, I'm seeing the performance issues on PC now too.

I think the reason I didn't see them sooner was because when I got my choice for the second festival site, I picked the Outback.  I noticed it showed me that only like 25% of people take the Outback first.  When I'm out there, my i5-4590 and GTX 970 were holding basically a steady 60fps with the High dynamic setting.  That was surprising, considering what I've been hearing of people with beefier cards not being able to do High.

When I picked Surfer's Paradise and started driving over towards it, that's where the game stopped being able to hold at 60.

Yeah, there is a significant performance drop in Surfer's Paradise.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure now that the CPU is the bottleneck, so it makes sense that your experience is smoother. I'm interested to see if they manage to reduce or CPU load or distribute it better among different cores. Fortunately, the game doesn't drop frames when I lock it to 30 FPS, so the gameplay is not affected.

You can change the gamertag in the Xbox app (once for free, I think). You can also log out and log in with a different account, that would probably fuck things up with Forza Horizon 3 purchase and/or progress.

When Danny O'Dwyer was streaming it he noticed that the CPU was being hit pretty hard to the point that streaming software was choking. I remember hearing somewhere that there's a patch in the works to help out the CPU, but I don't remember where.