Sign in to follow this  
Twig

Solitaire: The Lonely Hearts Club

I don't have friends to play card games with so I play them by myself.

That's not true! I play them by myself because they're a lot of fun!!!

I've recently come to learn I love the hell out of card games and even games that employ cards/deck-building as a mechanic. Here's how it happened...

So I played Card City Nights one evening on a whim. Was bored and it caught my eye, being from the same dev as Ittle Dew (or at least having the same art style and references to it). Turns out it's like the Pokemon TCG game on game boy color! Start with a basic deck, and earn cards by beating NPCs or buying them or trading, etc. Fun!

I beat that and played Fairie Solitaire. It's fairie straightforward, a basic "go up or down" mechanic with some abilities and minor mechanics introduced through the levels. Fun!

Capped that off and moved on to Hand of Fate. Kind of a dungeon-crawling game where the dungeon is built out of the cards in your deck, plus the cards the dealer adds for specific challenges. Goal is to beat all his stuff. Cards are laid out on the table face down and you move a little figure around to explore the "floor". Each card is an event that can be a store or choose your own adventure or a battle. Battles are third person action thingies and are fun enough, if rather simple. Game is GREAT. I think a long ago episode of the cast prime talked about it. Maybe. Fun!

Uh so yeah. I want more games like this. Recommend them please!!!

Have you played Card Crawl yet?

Aka one of my fav mobile games in years. Excited about the follow up

Oooh I'll check out card crawl right now

Card hunter defo on my list, and pocket card jockey I have a 3ds but totally forgot about!!!

THREAD PAYING OFF

Pocket Card Jockey may secretly be my game of 2016. I bought it in May and have been playing it pretty much daily since. It's so damn good.

I had a blast with Culdcept Saga for the 360 -- it was essentially Monopoly with a deck-building CCG on top. Sadly the series hasn't gotten much love since then, especially outside of Japan. Although I just discovered that a 3DS Culdcept game just came out in Japan, so fingers crossed that it does well enough for a worldwide release.

Also, I haven't played it but I've heard good things about Regency Solitaire.

I totally forgot about Culdcept Saga I played that demo over and over for a while. It had a really distinct feel.

I've got Regency Solitaire on my list already, I too have heard good things!

I wanna say I played Culdcept Saga on wii u?? But I think I uninstalled it immediately because I was repelled by the idea of a free to play game on my console. I... can't be sure that's the same game, though.

Card Crawl has been fun! It's rather simple - no deck building? ): - but fun. Working my way slowly toward unlocking whatever delve mode is!

Still haven't checked out jockey, but I fully intend to eventually.

Culdcept Saga was for the X360. It combines some card collecting with a Monopoly-ish board game. I used to work with someone who was in love with the game, but I could never get into it.

There's also Runespell: Overture. It's a bit like Puzzle Quest, but instead of fighting with a match-3 game, you try to build poker hands out of a card tableau.

Yeah I've been playing Runespell in between stressful Hand of Fate games (doing achievement hunting now, getting 300 ore at once with the iron eater guy is HARD). It's working for me! the story stuff I could honestly probably do without, haha. Please make it more linear!!

EDIT: Also just looked it up and I was thinking of Lucidian Chronicles. They sound nothing alike, but CS being on 3DS made me think it was possible it was also on Wii U. Whatever!

I've been achievement hunting in Hand of Fate, and one of the achievements (for DLC, which I boguht, because I love the game) is "have 300 ore at once with the iron hunger fate" which IS NOT EASY. I should stop and move onto another game! Or at least a different acheivement...

Also I downloaded Card Wars, a mobile Adventure Time card game? I only did the tutorial. Seems like it could be fun, but it's one of those dumb mobile games that requires connection to internet which I am fundamentally opposed to, so I haven't put more time into it yet.

After reading through this thread I also picked up Card Crawl and have been enjoying it.  Good job internet forum

I've been playing Churchill Solitaire (it was mentioned on a Thumbs episode a long time ago) and it's killing my brain. I managed to beat the tutorial levels, beat the first deal in the "campaign", and now I'm stuck on the second one.

I finished Regency Solitaire last night after picking it up in the most recent Humble Bundle. It was a lot of fun! I'm gonna check out some of these other games too. I've played a little bit of the demo of Pocket Card Jockey, and it seems like one of the most bizarre combinations of themes and mechanics. Watching videos of people trying to explain the game are highly entertaining.

After several dozen random deals of Churchill Solitaire... I FINALLY WON ANOTHER GAME! So that makes three total, including the first tutorial level, the first campaign level, and this one random deal.

GAME IS HARD AS HELL.

Are you interested in physical games as well? There are a bunch of good solitaire card games in the physical space, but they do require a bit of setup and a playing surface (which can be a pain).

On that front, I do have a few recommendations. They're all cooperative games with solo options, which can be nice. Once you learn the game on your own, it's easy to teach others if you find yourself in a social situation!

-If you like the alien from Alien, there's Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game, which is fun with 1-4 players. It has scenarios based on all four movies during which you have to build your deck while doom steadily approaches. It's fun, and they did a pretty excellent job of incorporating the theme. With multiple people, there's an optional traitor mechanic, where you can end up with a company shill in the group, and players who are eliminated by chest-birthing an alien can come back as an adversary.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146652/legendary-encounters-alien-deck-building-game

-If you like WarHams, there's Space Hulk: Death Angel, which boils down the Space Hulk experience to cards in a clever way. It's another one with kind of an impending doom element. A recurring theme in solo/coop games is failure, which can be a bummer, but you don't want a solo game to feel like it's been "solved" too quickly, because without living opponents to do unexpected things, it can get old.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/71721/space-hulk-death-angel-card-game

-If you like elves, lots of people enjoy The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, which is a deck-construction kinda thing with a zillion expansions. I've never played it, but it seems cool.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/77423/lord-rings-card-game

-If you like abstracting the horrors of modern war to a ridiculous degree, check out Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game. It involves equipping the individual members of a squad and sending them into a variety of missions against terrorists and drug cartels (and vaguely Eastern European military forces via expansion). It's not exactly packed with intriguing strategic decisions, but it's fun. There was recently a Kickstarter for a World War II version.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/149951/warfighter-tactical-special-forces-card-game

Now, if you want to expand the conversation to solitaire board games, that's a huge conversation. If you're interested in solo wargames, I'd defer to Bruce Geryk's top 10, which can be found in his Wild Weasel podcast, episodes 4 and 5.

Because of this thread I crave Culdcept Saga every once in a while. I thought about hooking my Xbox 360 back up to see if that demo is still up. The game is like $25 used... and I'm like "I can believe there isn't a PC version.

Typing it into Steam took me to some early-access game that got its purchase option removed for legal reason; looks kinda hawt though (and similar to Culdcept Saga).

Physical games are something I don't really do singleplayer. not because I think they're objectively bad - I just don't want to put together the time of setting up a game just to play by myself. I love board gaming, but only really in a social setting.

I tried out Talisman last night, there's a Steam version of it. There's also a "prologue" which is a singleplayer version. Seemed all right enough, although kinda visually meh. But hey I'll get a few hours out of it maybe.

Physical games are something I don't really do singleplayer. not because I think they're objectively bad - I just don't want to put together the time of setting up a game just to play by myself. I love board gaming, but only really in a social setting.

I tried out Talisman last night, there's a Steam version of it. There's also a "prologue" which is a singleplayer version. Seemed all right enough, although kinda visually meh. But hey I'll get a few hours out of it maybe.

Heh, I think the last physical board game I played with anyone was when we played Ticket to Ride at PAX a number of years ago.

I used to have Talisman on my phone (it is/was free on Amazon Underground) and I ended up playing it far too long as a number of things eventually combined to annoy the crap out of me.  I can see it being better in real life though.