CrowbarSka

[Game Release] Switch 'N' Shoot

Hi! I've been a reader for what, about 4 years now?

In the last year or so I've made this game. Today I'm very happy to release it on Steam Early Access.

It's also in beta on Google Play and itch.io.

It's an arcade shmup with a twist: you only have one button which turns your ship and fires your lasers at the same time.

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't influenced by Chris' musings on the granular intricacies of Spelunky and Downwell.

Some other junk:

Check it out! I'd love to know what you all think. I value the views of a Thumbsian mind highly.

ss_59c7ae8b36f9d3a17f5f64f0c3c14c67e0def

ss_afb559741e33e3e6a5c7a91c679524d6526e2

ss_32e079e83a1416bf1c66d5471554585ff76df

Wow, I love this! Simple in exactly the right way. Only quibble I have it that it feels like a bit of a cop-out to have the max power upgrade always be shooting because it removes a core game mechanic somewhat.

Whoever did the sound also gets massive kudos btw. Very crunchy.

Thanks! I appreciate it.  :)

The laser was too enjoyable to remove! So that's why I added the big red hazard strips at the sides when you get it. It becomes particularly challenging when you face the boss... Also if you miss the next powerup you lose the laser but the hazard strips stay up, so the stakes are raised at that point.

The music was actually from the Unity Asset Store, by MoppySound. I created all the other sound effects with Bfxr.

I had a quick game and I am baaaad. I got about 15 points in on my best go, but it was a lot of fun. I agree on the soundtrack being great.

Since I didn't get far I don't have much feedback, but two minor things.

1) I played on my phone, where it defaulted to being a widescreen view with the cabinet pictures either side. It should really default to locked portrait on a phone, and just have the switching option in the menu.

2) The power ups looked a bit to me like they were some form of health or shield (despite the fact that it's a one hit kill game). I don't know if you can change the picture much to mitigate that but I figured I'd bring it up anyway.

Definitely fun, are there other enemy types I can find if I manage to last long enough?

I'm glad you liked it despite feeling like you were bad at it. :) That was actually a goal of mine!

Regarding your feedback:

1) The game should default to your device's current orientation. If you turn it, the game should rotate to reflect that. Was this not working? There is also a 'screen lock' setting in the Options menu (the cog icon).

2) Any suggestions for that? Perhaps a bullet or an 'up' arrow? Those icons have actually gone through a tonne of iteration... I thought I'd hit on something that worked!

There is a shield-dropper enemy type which is evasive, and also a boss. I'll say no more than that as I'd love for you to discover these things yourself. :)

Well you nailed it.  :tup: I also meant to say I think it's better this way, than if it was an easy start that ramped up. Makes me feel like I've earned the points I get.

1) Hmm, I double checked and my phone setting is set to always be portrait. I may have been holding it in a landscape angle when starting the game. If you need more details on OS version, model etc. I can pass those on to you.

2) I'm not sure really! To be clear, I think what you have now is good and does make a lot of sense. I just read them wrong the first time, and wanted to say that. An arrow would read as less health-like anyway, the main thing that made me presume it was health was the plus shape being like the classic 'med pack' look.

Sounds good! I'll try to discover new enemies then.  :P

Oh one other thing, does connecting to Google Play's Game service thing help with data for beta testing at all? I usually just ignore that on games I play and skip it, but if it provides anything useful for you I could sign in on your game.

Right! That's exactly what I was going for! Actually I always cite Flappy Bird as an influence because I feel Dong Nguyen really got that right too.

1) Ahh yeah that makes sense. I also lock my phone to portrait but the game will override that. It's a Unity thing and unfortunately my coding skills are fairly limited (I actually use uScript, a visual scripting tool).

2) OK. I'll have a poke around if I get some free time and try out an arrow style icon. The reason for the plus icon was to indicate that it adds to your weapon power, but I get that at first glance it has a strong association with med pack iconography!

Re: Google Play Games... I don't do any data tracking or anything like that. It just means you're able to upload scores to the GPG leaderboards and unlock achievements. It's totally cool to stay offline if that's what you prefer. :)

Wow what an awesome little game! I've managed to get about 25 points so far. Itreminds me of Skullpogo, but with Intellivision Astrosmash graphics.

Thanks, pal! But you can DEFINITELY do better.