Sign in to follow this  
dibs

Attack boars on fire off the shoulder of a potato field - Rimworld seeded start

I had a quick 15-min to kill before going to work, so I decided to start on this. 

Day 1 - I just want to build a room with some beds to spend the first night.

cGFiKR8.jpg

Lunchtime nap inside an incomplete room? Sure, why not?

yuX8Ism.jpg

We did it! Our colonists will spend their first night under a roof in the ugliest room in the world. (yes, Goldblum is still asleep 9 hours later.)

Q9b0Zjv.jpg

These people go into a bezerker rage at the drop of a bloody hat!

Just looking through the menus, it seems you can change the difficulty (and narrator) during the game. This might allow those of us differing skills to pitch the same scenario more to our level!

I for one couldn't believe how fast the raid were coming against me! Much harder than 1 step easier. 

I like the idea of everyone playing the same scenario, though! Maybe we can just drop down the difficulty a bit for the next one to allow for longer stories.

I finally came back to playing this, and it was a journey. This was only me second Rimworld game, so I was woefully unprepared to survive and I think it showed. This time, I wanted to tunnel into the mountain for my settlement (a decision which Rich, Cool and Goldblum weren't happy with, as they spent most of their stay unhappy with the surroundings). So here's the beginnings of the settlement ZUNE:

post-34425-0-71625400-1471084096_thumb.jpg

You'll notice that at the front, I took the game's advice and set up traps for invaders. I was worried that people wouldn't be able to walk through that space, but it seemed that they were able to carefully sidestep the traps.

...though not always.

post-34425-0-00456600-1471084177_thumb.jpg

RIP Goldblum, you just weren't paying attention that day. Goldblum's loss was tragic, I set up a grave and sent her to rest. This left a mark that Cool never forgot, and really this became her story. I did not remove the traps, as they helped us repel invaders more than once. But I did get a little less over eager to reset the traps each time. Soon after, trouble arrived. Phaedrus, an ex-lover of Cool, turned up. He was a valuable addition, even if he couldn't resist attempting to rekindle things with a woman grieving over the loss of her friend.

We had a minor electrical fire, which confused me at first when I thought the steel table had spontaneously combusted. Little did I know, this would be the first of a bajillion electrical fires. Next time my people will just be amish.

Soon after, we lost Rich to raiders. That wasn't that big a deal though, as Cool didn't particularly care for him. It did mean she was alone with her over eager ex lover, but thankfull they were soon joined by Cool's brother and ZUNE was finally able to amass decent food supplies. We had a fridge going, and tables set up for production. It was all going good.

Then we received a distress call from Cool and her brother's grandmother. She was being chased by pirates, and badly needed shelter. How could anyone say no? What would be the worst that could happen...

post-34425-0-76447200-1471084641_thumb.jpg

Her grandmother was killed very quickly, panicking as she tried to get in she tripped one of our traps. We did repel the invaders afterwards, but suffered bad injuries. Phaedrus started going berserk, broken down mentally. I tried to get Cool to whisk away the bodies, but she took one look at her deceased grandmother and went into her own berserk rage. She finally confronted Phaedrus over... everything, but he beat her down and carried on his restructive roaming. Her brother managed to get Cool to bed, and Phaedrus too shortly after. But with gunshot wounds, severe bleeding and no doctor, both were in dire straights. They got infected and died in the medical beds. Cool's brother was left all alone.

post-34425-0-28410500-1471084869_thumb.jpg

With no idea what else to do, he did try to maintain the settlement. Shouldering every burden, he restored some of what ZUNE once was, but his fate was inevitable. Raiders attacked, they were repelled but he did not escape unscathed. He lay bleeding out, as a caravan arrived outside, wondering what all this stuff was. And what happened to the people who set it all up.

post-34425-0-23844900-1471085020_thumb.jpg

This was a lot of fun! I'm gonna read other people's posts again now, but are we thinking of doing another save?

Deffo do another one. I'll let someone else make the save this time. So much pressure!

I rolled up a new save, I went with better characters who weren't incapable of anything (but apparently have awful stats) but this time in a Boreal forest. The map looks pretty different, so that should be fun.

The file is here, hope it generates some good stories.

Nice, I think I'm more prepared this time. hopefully i'll be able to whip up a story that's worthy of screenshots. 

My bad! I only paid attention to their traits and incapabilities, I didn't actually make sure people were good at all things. So uh, maybe drop the difficulty?

I already played and died, so I'll post up my story soon.

What's the default difficulty on this save again? My current game is running Classic - Base Builder and I'm doing pretty dang well. Certainly ready to jump up in difficulty, but I might want to practice a bit first.

So the saga of my colony was pretty short lived. We struggled badly with nature, in constant need of food. And mentally these people were weak.

TheWizard, Phaedrus Puffins and their dog Matilda all began their first day together by half building a shelter and then lieing under the stars to sleep at night. It's a lot less romantic than it sounds.

post-34425-0-54583100-1471285008_thumb.jpg

But in spite of their poor construction skills, they all plowed on. We soon had a new wanderer join us. She was Sparkles, a depressive that ended up being much more trouble than she was worth. But we let her in for now, Puffins even gave Sparkles her own clothes, since Puffins wanted to be a nudist anyway.

post-34425-0-84257000-1471285021_thumb.jpg

However there was some problems when we tried to recruit prisoners. We successfully got Ian to join our cause, but another prisoner turned on Puffins, nearly killing her. Puffin's father Phaedrus was cowering in a corner until Ian swooped in to attack the rogue prisoner, so Phaedrus could drag Puffins away.

post-34425-0-33033800-1471285330_thumb.jpg

However with 5 mouths to feed we started running into food troubles. I realised just how bad it was when Puffins sat down at the dinner table to feast on a recently killed raider. I then made sure to focus harder on sustainable foods to last us longer. I built up a potato corn and strawberry farm, and it was going well. Things were even quiet enough that TheWizard finally wooed Puffins, and they became lovers. Sharing a room together.

post-34425-0-17456600-1471285463_thumb.jpg

Though the hunting definitely left a mark on mother nature

post-34425-0-55512200-1471285523_thumb.jpg

But then, the seasons were against us. Weather started getting colder, we still had only a bare electrical system. No heaters, just shoddy clothes. Even worse, all that food we had prepared froze solid. I had nothing but raw corn for food, since every time meals were prepared, they'd be frozen before anyone would eat them. Ian and TheWizard fell ill with hypothermia. Low on medecine, all Puffins could do was desperately feed her husband raw corn in the hope that she could nurse him back to health.

It was not enough.

post-34425-0-01439700-1471285759_thumb.jpg

With even more colonists dropping off, Phaedrus was starting to lose his cool. In a berserk rage, he attacked Matilda the wonder dog. She was such a wonder dog, she literally knocked him out and then dragged him to bed to get better. I feel so bad for this dog.

post-34425-0-48299400-1471285855.jpgpost-34425-0-64440800-1471285863.jpg

However Puffins too began going berserk. The settlement was falling apart, her lover was dead and everything kept getting worse. Her and Phaedrus eventally killed each other in their rages, even wounding Matilda bad enough that she bled out alone. :unsure: It was an unsustainable place, at their best they managed to house stray lost souls, but at their worst there was blood from four different creatures on the dining table.

post-34425-0-11920800-1471286044.jpg

started up the new save and played the first season,  you can find my pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/MjafW

i was wondering why the game was going so smoothly, and then realized it was default set to cassandra rough. I usually play on cass challenge, and the difference was really noticeable. shots hit way more frequently and raiders die way faster. i have yet to have a single colonist injured. I didn't change it to challenge because i assumed everyone was playing on the same difficulty.

Yeah, i think the intention is for everyone to play at the same difficulty, though if you don't die like the rest of us, it might be worth cranking it up until you fail spectacularly. :)

I don't think anyone would be begrudged for adjusting to something more their level. I think part of the idea is to die early so that your game doesn't drag on long though.

played through all of fall in the colony, nothing big until a warg pack invaded! http://imgur.com/a/BPFr8

still not feeling as devastated as i usually am in my other colony attempts, but ill see what happens with these wargs tomorrow or something. if i make it out ok, i'll probably ramp up to cassandra superhard or even randy superhard

any other suggestions on what i should do?

Downloading the seed now.

Edit: Woof, always felt like there's one more thing than I can get done with my colonists, and that one thing I can't get done was a disaster every time. I don't know if playing on higher difficulties is for me. The constant mood breaks if you don't build these huge rooms, but then the amount of time and resources it takes to build them or dig them. This is one problem I never had with dwarf fortress.