Sign in to follow this  
Nappi

Where's your head at? Headlander thread

Oh man, Chris's reactions were so genuine and awesome in the stream today.

https://i.imgur.com/X4aBI1j.gif

I just bought this yesterday in anticipation that it will be great, and it truly was when I watched the Thumbs Twitch stream.

Lee Petty is such a great lead dev. The whole DF team deserves big  :tup:  :tup:

i bought this but won't have a chance to have a crack at it until probably tonight. it looks preeettty great tho.

edit: got in about an hour an half maybe. it doesn't disappoint. I like that it's not super difficult, so if that's something you're looking for, maybe that's a caveat. Nothing super strenuous in terms of figuring out where to go or how to get there. Upgrades doled out a reasonable pace. Combat is, well, it's not exactly always easy (though it mostly has been), but the penalty for death is low due to good checkpointing.

I finished it today. It was fun. I enjoyed the animations and the feel of flying the head the most. For how little story there was, I had a hard time following it. I'm still not sure what exactly happened, and why I did it.

Did anyone actually fight using the lasers? I fought every encounter by immediately detaching my head, and sucking off all of the enemies heads, which makes most of the skill upgrades worthless.

I have used lasers so far for some encounters. In some I've sucked the heads off.

Though I'm still quite early in the Pleasure Port station.

I've used the lasers a lot. Actually most of the time, only sucking heads off when I was without a body. I also used the rolling attack quite a bit when I unlocked it.

Explored every room, got all the upgrades, beat the game.

I loved the art style and the atmosphere. I also liked the idea of headlanding, but not always the execution. I wish this game was less of an action game and more of a puzzle game (or more precisely that the action was more puzzle-y), because the combat wasn't very fun in my opinion. In many cases the firefights were too hectic and messy for me to take advantage of any of my cool upgrades, and so I just ended up semi-blind firing until my vessel died and then trying locate my head amid all the bullets and debris before it was too late.

Still enjoyed the game quite a bit though.

(Boo for not properly tagging the mp3s in the soundtrack!)

I agree with Nappi's assessment. I found there's often a real issue with the readability of Headlander. Sometimes you enter a new room, and you don't know where you are, but you've attracted a lot of guards attention and there are lasers flying everywhere and you're not sure where you are either since you're in one of the guard bodies. I also found the controls fairly awkward, it was kind of weird that the primary buttons I was using on a controller were the left bumper, and the right trigger.

Those criticisms aside, I am deeply appreciative of a studio releasing a Metroidvania type game that isn't punishingly difficult, but instead is simply fun to explore.

Also it is kind of crazy that we've gotten two action-adventure type games in the last year that have fully absorbed the aethetics of sci-fi B films from two different eras of sci-fi B films!

Ahh yeah, I probably should have mentioned the name of the game rather than just casually reference it huh?

I was indeed referring to The Deadly Tower of Monsters.