Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Idle Weekend July 16, 2016: Diamonds in the Rough

Idle Weekend July 16, 2016:

963__header.jpg

Diamonds in the Rough
The weekenders discuss the rarest and most magical of gaming experiences - when a game that looks like generic garbage surprises you in the best way. Elsewhere, the Weekenders ponder the mysteries of Pokemon Go, Rob reads about time travelers and jerks in the 1940s, and Danielle listens to bedtime stories about messed-up mermaids.

Discussed: Crush Your Enemies, Infested Planet, Gray Goo, A Boy and His Blob, Candy Box, A Dark Room, Dropsy, Her Story, Pokemon Go, Weapons of Choice (Axis of Time #1), Myths and Legends Podcast

hoo boy, I hope Rob's audio gets back to normal this weekend. What was up with that? He was okay in the previous episode.

Anyway, been meaning to look into Gray Goo; I must admit the name put me off but a lot of people are saying it's a great RTS. I think it's rare that I will play a game that I am pleasantly surprised by, because I'm quite selective with what I play and usually I will have a good idea of how much I will enjoy a game before I buy it. I guess one game that took me by surprise is Crysis, because I am not normally a fan of shooters and I can't even remember why I bought it in the first place, especially since I didn't actually have a powerful computer at the time. It was definitely the height of a generic-looking gruff marine dude shooting a bunch of army dudes but I really had a great time with the first half of the game. The latter half of Crysis is almost a disaster though, the quality really takes a nosedive both from a gameplay and technical perspective (the final level of the game is broken beyond belief for such a high-profile game).

Yeah, this was a really rough episode to listen to because of the audio issues. :-(

Gray Goo is great. Yeah, the name is really unappealing (though it basically is just referencing a really cool sci-fi idea), but it is the best RTS I've played in a long time. My only issue is the minimap drives me kind of crazy. I wish I could set it to the left side of the screen, which is where I'm used to seeing it thanks to DOTA, and I also find it really hard to read. But aside from that the game is basically perfect, and exactly what I want out of a traditional RTS design.

The Shadow of Mordor was quite curious, because when it it first show up, it sounded like the most cliché (dark gritty "realism") and such away from Tolkien (in a bad way), that was really surprising see in the end that it was a very good game.

FF XIII was a game that while I didn´t believe much in the hate that the game got, I wasn´t expecting much, however, I found it to be one of my favorite game, despite some issues. Same with FF Type 0, I had read some not very good reviews and port reports, but in the end, again, I found out to be among my favorite games.