mikemariano

Quadrilateral Cowboy: Dad Baud

So yeah, just continuing into the next job fixed it.

Then I did this:

post-8476-0-80432700-1469587873_thumb.png

Putting the insertion & extraction points on the bridge makes it so that if you reset, the bridge retracts and puts the points underneath the entryway. You spawn already inside the building, but can't touch the extraction point in any way. Easy to fix with noclip mode, but unexpected.

I'm also encountering some weird bugs for the Bergamot Tower levels. Trying to use the deck causes me to crash through the floor and die. When I restart the level I can't use any equipment, and also can't even exit the game without alt tabbing out and shutting it down.

I'm like two missions in, but i had so much fun just looking at everything in my friend's bedroom.

I beat the game and it was really good.

QC reminds me of Portal 1, as a game that explores both a really novel puzzle mechanic and a story told in really small bursts. I honestly wish this game were longer, because you only get a few chances to showcase everything you've internalized into one sequence. I had a lot of trouble on the last sky elevator level, and tried it at least a dozen times. By the end I was basically speedrunning it.

Super excited to create some levels.

As with 30 Flights of Loving and Gravity Bone, some of the background details are my favorite parts of this game so far, like this book: 

vTQyAuS.jpg

6Y85pHb.jpg

It is now my goal in life to write something that causes someone to describe me as an "explosion of a human being who will stop at nothing to shock and titillate you."

Tanu recently posted about a mini-game collection called Everybody's Stress Buster in the recently completed games thread

- "The games might be set for people with OCD since one of the mini-games is just... organizing books... which I found SO SATISFYING!"

Are the books also rearrangeable in Quad Cow? ("4 Cow"? "Tucows 2"?)

They're definitely rearrangeable in the sense that you can pick them up and move them, but they don't auto-align, as far as I know, so it would be a huge pain in the ass.

Both the J. Allard book from Firewatch and the book written by the dad in Gone Home are also in that bookshelf. 

Awwww maaaan.

It ended just as it was getting good! Maaaaaan!

I mean, sure, it was good before that as well. 1 minute into the game, right after the intro, I had to alt-tab out to go rave about it on another forum. With all the previews focusing on the hacking I'd forgotten that this was gonna be another super-cinematic Brendon Chung production. But all the missions, tho fun, mostly felt like tutorials. It wasn't until the Abby Yoyo Space Elevator, when I realized I was going to have to use the Weever like that, that I felt like the training wheels were finally coming off. And it was super tense, going through this long complicated mission, knowing it'd be back to square one if I messed up. After a few attempts I finally beat it, and then... it was over. Man.

I hope the modding scene for this takes off.

So has anyone dipped a toe into making levels? It doesn't look too tough if you're at all familiar with things like Valve's Hammer editor. Brendan has a nice intro here. He mentioned in another thread that he's working on a more advanced guide soon, but you can open up the existing level files to see how he made them in the meantime.

There's a "batch" command: if you enter batch [newcommandname] [chain of commands], you can then use newcommandname.bat to execute the saved chain of commands.

Whaaaaaaaat

That's amazing.

Can you execute multiple batch commands at once? Like "command1.bat;wait(10);command2.bat"?

Yes, I followed that guide and managed to compile a simple level. It was pretty straight forward.

How do you open the existing levels tho? Edit: Nevermind I found the answer here you just unzip "pak0004.pk4".

Edit2: I made a door, it's the best door.

post-34178-0-20031700-1470248498_thumb.jpg

The Deluxe Edition comes with some printable extras. One is a game box, so:

post-8476-0-14895400-1470435120_thumb.jpg

And what sort of game box would it be without some nifty things inside?

post-8476-0-10404800-1470435124_thumb.jpg

There's a small poster, and the game's Reference Manual, turned into a handy folded reference card, great for propping up in front of your keyboard.

post-8476-0-15972100-1470435127_thumb.jpg

I wasn't sure if I wanted to put the papercraft models in, because they would have to be folded to fit in the box, but then I figured that it's the exact sort of thing that would happen: a designer puts a bunch of work into the feelies, and then someone in the assembly process just crams it all in the box when they don't fit quite right.

post-8476-0-01845200-1470435130_thumb.jpg

And of course you need the game:

post-8476-0-93732600-1470435132_thumb.jpg

I recreated the tape label from the in-game texture, and the game files are all on a fold-out USB drive.

post-8476-0-04884600-1470435136_thumb.jpg

I finally finished the game. I love love love the atmosphere and storytelling in Blendo games. The three main characters were absolutely fascinating.

I liked the gameplay a lot too. My only minor issue was that having to deploy and adjust the aimbot etc. after each failed attempt got a bit tedious after a while. On the other hand, adjusting angles using console commands can also be surprisingly satisfying.

Korax, that is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!

Thanks! When I saw the game box layout in the extras, I just had to make sure it could sit on a shelf with some of my other game collectibles.

Congratulations to Brendon on winning the Seumas McNally Grand Prize at the IGF Awards!

I whipped up a quick award sticker to slap on the box:

IMG_0215.thumb.JPG.515f1020479a4d5954613fd9663ab0f4.JPG