mikemariano

Quadrilateral Cowboy: Dad Baud

The long-in-development heist/hacking game Quadrilateral Cowboy finally has a release date: two weeks from now on Monday, July 25th!

The basics of this game have been known for a while, but I'm excited to see how it plays out in a full game.  I also have no idea how easy it will be to chain commands and time everything perfectly while getting through a level—I'm terrible at thinking ahead!

We'll find out soon!

Sadly, I will not find out soon: the Mac and Linux versions are still two months away.  That's how I missed out on Big Blum Mode!

I rarely get excited for games, but i have been excited for this for so long! Weeeeeeeeeeeeee. :sombrero:

It's out! :D http://blendogames.com/qc/

I got to make the trailer with Jake over the past week. He did the concept for the intro, the transition to the gameplay, and graphics for the end completely with degaussing distortion effects. Chris wrote the script for the voiceover which is performed by Erin Yvette. I did the capture for the gameplay and edited that section.

The game very quickly makes typing in commands to get stuff done a lot of fun, it also helps get you into the mode if you have a mechanical keyboard ^_^.

The coolest thing about this project is that for certain shots I got to use the in-game commands to queue up several actions so that it would be timed precisely to what I wanted and also give me time to switch to noclip mode to reposition the camera after entering commands into the deck.

I hope lots of people play it and also make their own levels!

Fuuuuuuck, this game is peak Blendo. I'm ten minutes in and there's already so much amazing stuff happening. The storytelling is so good!

I bought the game and while it was downloading watched a bit of the Giantbomb Quick Look. This seems to be exactly what I was hoping for the next Blendo game to be, i.e. same style as Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights of Loving but with actual cool heist gameplay. Can't wait to play this tomorrow.

That trailer is amazing. Kudos to Chris for the great 90's TV news magazine writing, and kudos to Erin for the great 90's TV news magazine delivery.

Loving this so far. Like an awful lot. I'm only on the second job though. Something about that level made me want to post here, the Idle Thumbs forum specifically... can't put my finger on it.

That trailer is just great, so great. :) Oh man this is one hell of a crazy year for awesome games.

Please please someone make a thread for Headlander as well, I don't want to make one with a lazy thread title.

Only halfway through the game, the toolset keeps on expanding with cool things. Quadrilateral Hitman as sequel?

One weird design choice in this game is if you use the portable record player during one of the missions it will keep playing even after the mission is over, but at that point there's no way to turn the music off until you start the next mission, and meanwhile it is clashing with other music playing.

That aside though, this game is so amazing.

One weird design choice in this game is if you use the portable record player during one of the missions it will keep playing even after the mission is over

Yup, this a bug. The Vinylman music is supposed to stop playing. I'll be including this fix in the first content update.

Am I just too sensitive to this or did Chris write in "Far Cry" to the trailer script?

Game looks great! When I am back home and not only equipped with a tablet I intend to dive in.

I finished it \o/

The last mission was a though one. Almost completed it properly, but I fell to my death twice :/

And there's one mission I wasn't able to complete without setting off the alarm, I'm not sure if it's possible. I see no other way then moving even faster, I'm short about 1.5 seconds for the 10 second time window.

One thing I noticed is there are plenty of commands I never even used throughout the game.

I still have to dive into some of the commands. Jake suggested on twitter using the beep command after every wait command, so you get an audible cue when the next step occurs.

Here's a very minor nitpick: command line history persists between mission attempts, which I GREATLY appreciate, but batch files do not. The result of this is that I never use batch commands because it's so much more convenient to just queue up command chains in the history buffer.

But yeah, I'm gonna say this on every post I make here: the game is amazing.

There's a "batch" command: if you enter batch [newcommandname] [chain of commands], you can then use newcommandname.bat to execute the saved chain of commands.

So I somehow broke the deck.

A few minutes into Bergamot Towers, the deck started automatically executing previous commands when I used the arrow keys to bring them up. After a few commands, it stopped scrolling the screen's text correctly, requiring me to use page up/down to see my input. It also seemed to screw up leaderboard updating, because it showed me at something like 1:30 for each of the 3 sections, even though I took longer than that to complete them. I finished the job, and when testing the new equipment, I still had the same problems, but the deck's text started updating above the previous text instead of below it. Saving and reloading didn't help. Saving, quitting, and reloading didn't help. I selected the job from the career menu, and it seemed to work then. I also just left the equipment test room, played through the next character vignette, and loaded the next job, and that seemed to straighten it out (at least at the outset, haven't tried playing through the job yet).

The only possible cause I can think of is that in the black market before Bergamot, I tried to put down a sticky note with an ASCII face in it, but after putting a bunch of spaces in it, it stopped working and then placed the note anyway when I hit ESC to cancel.