Sign in to follow this  
ysbreker

New system shock in the makes?

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6109881/index.html

You may find it hard to believe that the offices of Irrational Games, which are quietly nestled in a small corner of Boston, Massachusetts, gave rise to such highly acclaimed games as Tribes: Vengeance and Freedom Force. The developer itself isn't really all that small, considering that it has two full studios (one in Boston and one in Canberra, Australia). But things weren't always this way. According to general manager Ken Levine, the studio began its life in his living room in 1997, when he and fellow employees Jonathan Chey and Rob Fermier of now-defunct Looking Glass Entertainment decided to leave their employer to form their own company, which would go on to develop a game called System Shock 2--a game we'll take a retrospective look at in anticipation of Irrational's next project, which we'll reveal to you exclusively tomorrow. (Here's a hint: it will likely please fans of System Shock 2.)

I'm really curious with what irrational games will come up with. I can only hope it will be something as good as systemshock 2 :)

I really need to finish systemshock 2 for once : /

I'm interested to see what Irrational have done with Tribes Vengeance's single player. It's supposed to be rather good, but I dunno.

Oh yeah, I heard about the demo just being an arena type thing. The rest of it is supposed to be far more cinematic and plot-driven though, so I remain optimistic.

Doesn't come out here for a week or so though. :shifty:

Hmm, looks like it could be good. I'll be keeping tabs on this one methinks.

ooh baby, a new system shock game would be Jurrasic Park

If it is then I hope they include co-op. Something that alot of fps games are missing now days.

:woohoo:

Best gaming news I've heard in ages!* Good interview with Levine. Core SS2 team intact, refusal to rehash an existing property, and committed to pushing the "genre" forward... (Must be referring to the "no other game like it" genre.) :grin:

* Aside from the whole Psychonauts on PC thing.

I think it counts as an "FPS RPG".

There's a few others around, like Deus Ex, obviously, and the upcoming Vampire Masqurade: Bloodlines (which looks ver nice too!).

But SS2 is still the scariest game ever.

But SS2 is still the scariest game ever.

Maybe for a hippie :grin: OK - I never really played SS2.. or SS1 for that matter. I really should get around to it one of these days.

Alien Resurrection on the Playstation, however, scared the /piss/ out of me; the game opens with you waking up in a dank cell, unarmed, and having to go explore a netherworld of dripping corridors, flickering fluorescent lights, and ominous creaking noises.

Savepoints are sparse, and by the time I actually saw my first Alien (it jumped across a corridor opening, clung to a vertical wall about six feet off the ground, then turned, hissed, and came /straight for me/) I was about ready to hit the standby button on the tv and hide under the sofa..

A PS1 FPS, you can probably dig it out of a bargain bin near you for not much cash at all... although I hear the PS1 mouse is a good idea, if you don't want this game to drive you mental :)