Inphidel

Gibball - looking for help (free project)

Hey thumbs.

I don't post much but having watched many of the recent wizard jam thought I'd see if any fellow thumbs are interested in helping. Eventually I will be releasing a free game on steam. It's s sports arcade game. Like soccer. Some people may be familiar with some influences such as deathball.

Basically the idea is. Physics based you hit a ball into a goal like soccer or hockey. Cept you can't be hit by the ball like dodgeball or you die and respawn etc..

I wouldn't come open like this if I couldn't point out a lot of base work is done. Just having worked solo I can't be the master of everything from ui to animation to sound design etc..

In any case curious if anyone wants to help.

I'm using ue4 I have a background in coding. So this has been 99% blueprint based.

anywho sorry for a post like this but ue4 community is great by they all want to make a leet sniper game etc.. So figured my favorite podcast community might have some ppl curious enough to help :)

Ps Chris Remo.. I used to be a music writer of sorts.. One of my favorite bands is stabbing westward when I first found idle thumbs I though you sounded like the vocalist go figure his name is Chris.

Gg chaps.

This looks super cool! I've been using UE4 as well on solo projects and game jams for about two years now, so I can emphasise wrt having to tackle all the different disciplines by yourself. 

Are you planning on taking this game to Greenlight?

P.S. This thread might get a few more eyeballs on the Game Development subforum.

Yeah I want to green light it mostly just to use the subsystem network player / for server browsing. Being a multiplayer dependent game couldn't imagine being a game ppl pay for.

:)

If you put together a moodboard and shopping list of 3d assets I'll try to bang some out for you, but can make no promises as to delivery speed.

Sorry for the late response. I've been going into testing the multiplayer and have been running into some problems. So kind of on a halt.

Currently if you start hosting a game and someone connects the client who connects, if they disconnect and try and reconnect they get a black screen.

Alternatively. If the host disconnects from their hosted game and try's to start a new game it never loads.

Something with the network subsystem perhapse is not cleaning up.

So been working in a fresh barebones project to make sure I get a handle on this before proceeding as I need the game to work as easy as you host or join and can come and go as you please without these game restarts needed :)

Very new to making games but it's been a good learning experience!

So I have started sharing a private alpha... You'll need to message me your email for a link.

There are some know bugs and much to be added still and fixed.

Note multiplayer is currently just a player hosted server over steam which is laggy depending on player distance and hardware.

Bugs:

1. Team select pops up on all players at join.

2. End game on overtime pops up at goal and post countdown.

3. Sound replication

Implementation to do:

1. Kill HUD

2. Goal HUD

3. Steam toggle

4. Chat box

5. Esc menu

6. Announcer sounds

7. Other sound effects

Suggestions:

1. Slow down ball

2. Boost might not be working all the time

3. Goal sound too loud.

:>

Added vicinity radar

Added chat box

Bugs:

1. Sound replication

2. Name tags showing wrong name

3. Chatbox is not globally "in game" accessible

4. Chatbox can lock controller from gui if talking before a goal or death.

Implementation to do:

1. Steam toggle

2. Proper Esc menu

3. Announcer sounds

4. Other sound effects

5. Change kick on sprint to be active but stop sprint.

6. Rep notify points

7. Ball trails

Suggestions:

1. Slow down ball

2. Goal sound too loud.

3. Volley charge.

4. Slow rolling ball down.

5. Tone down shield effect

Playable over steam with host/client model until things are squared away for a dedicated server build.

Forum for feedback

https://m.reddit.com/r/gibball

Note:

The ue4 package often gives a false positive for AV software. Investigating how to correct this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12007082/Gibball_Alpha/Gibball_Alpha_v0.3.zip

If you put together a moodboard and shopping list of 3d assets I'll try to bang some out for you, but can make no promises as to delivery speed.