ysbreker

Holy Moly, or how valve wants my soul

Valve started the presale of half-life 2 on steam today. and they also came with the european prices:

bronze:

40 euro (ex tax)

silver:

49 euro (ex tax)

and here's the soul stealing part:

110 euro (ex tax!)!!!!!!! o.O

That is for a dvd + some freebies and the ability to play CS:source a few days earlier than the rest...

I find 110 euro rather steep for just another game which yet has to prove itself (I know, I know, everyone who had the chance to play it says it's good, but still 110 euro? That's just insaaane! Insane I tell you)

You do know that package comes with a ton of stuff, right? That doesn't mean it isn't overpriced, but it's not like those 110 euros only get you HL2 and CS: Source.

That 'ton of stuff' isn't exactly a ton of stuff. just a small box full.

But even if it was a 'ton' then it's still damn expensive for a game ;)

Here I go again: I payed 90 euros for the Warcraft 3 collector's edition, and I thought it was fairly priced (this was no small box, more closely resembling a ton indeed). I can't speak for HL2 of course. If I look at the Bronze version, I am pleased though. 40 euros for a new game of this magnitude. Now that's a price that I would deem reasonable for any new game, instead of the usual 60.

That 'ton of stuff' isn't exactly a ton of stuff. just a small box full.

But even if it was a 'ton' then it's still damn expensive for a game ;)

Then don't buy it... You can still buy a regular boxed version from VU that will be priced like a regular game, or you can buy the regular non-boxed Steam version that doesn't cost 110 euro. The "gold" package is clearly for people who are not outraged by it. And it does come with a good amount of stuff that is way beyond anything I've seen offered in any sort of game "collector's edition" before.

I dont quite see how 2 affordably priced packages and 1 expensive collectors edition equates to soul stealing... Lack of broadband is stealing my soul by preventing me from downloading and purchasing the Silver package this very second.

I dont quite see how 2 affordably priced packages and 1 expensive collectors edition equates to soul stealing... Lack of broadband is stealing my soul by preventing me from downloading and purchasing the Silver package this very second.

Do these packages differ in size? And how much will you have to download anyways?

--Erwin

Do these packages differ in size? And how much will you have to download anyways?

--Erwin

Well, yeah, they differ in size in that they come with a different number of games... And if you get the Steam ones, you'll have to download everything since you're getting it over Steam. They'll probably be using their streaming delivery method for certain bits, though, but I don't know which exactly.

Sooo.... will ordering off Steam mean more money for Valve, as opposed to buying it retail and thereby mostly lining the pockets of Vivendi???

In that is the case I'll probably go for the former, and as I like to actually physically own a copy of a game I guess I'll be going for the collector's edition.

Can't I just buy the stupid DVD version? Without the damn t-shirt and naked pictures of Jake Alex?

It's Alyx. And she's probably the hottest woman ever in a computer game. Hmm, maybe that's a discussion worthy of its own thread!

It's Alyx. And she's probably the hottest woman ever in a computer game. Hmm, maybe that's a discussion worthy of its own thread!
I think Yuffie from Final Fantasy VII is the hottest woman in a game ever. And she had, what, 15 polygons?

It's all about Cate Archer from NOLF2.
Oh, yes! She is utterly gorgeous! I love her do!

I bought the silver package earlier today... The screenshots doesn't do CS:Source justice... It looks great, and it's not even pushing the engine that much. Now I'm just waiting for Half-Life 2 to arrive :sombrero:

The European price is a bit lower... but when I try to order it, it shows me the price in $. how did you see the prices in euros?

Man, I really want to trash up the little market stall in the new cs_italy. I also want to see the physics on those chickens.

There's no chickens in the new Italy map sadly :(

The gameplay is not any different, that would sort of defeat the point of the "port" (which is what it is, just a very enhanced port, thats why its called "counterstrike: source" and not "counterstrike 2"), but since the maps have so many little things that go flying around, and the character animations and sort of unfortunately gross dynamic death animations and things like window breaking behaving more realistically it's a bit more immersive and fun than the past CS.

If you get a chance to sit down and check out the game I recommend loading up the Office level right off, as it's the most impressive to me. Papers go flying around if you shoot at or blow up areas with file folders, if you shoot a PC to the point that it falls over the case will come off and you can kick it around until the ram and video cards and power supply fall out, etc. You can knock the handset off of the phones and stuff... It's all pretty trivial stuff but it looks absolutely crazy in the middle of a game, at least in my opinion. I already liked the gameplay of CounterStrike a lot and didn't think it needed changing - CS Source remains just as addictive - so I thought it was a pretty good, familiar, way to bring people into Source. I can't wait for HL2 to move out of the Coming Soon list in Steam :)

Mmm, so now I'm kind of curious to hear how it all runs on a less than cutting edge (ok, shit) computer. Anyone playing it on, just as an example, a 1.3GHz with 512MB RAM and a fairly average graphics card?

I should probably find this out for myself, but hey, you're all a resource waiting to be abused tapped.

There's no chickens in the new Italy map sadly :(
ARGHHHH no they've ruined it. They should have recaptured the spirit of the original. They should have stayed true to the elements we've come to love. They should not have done anything substancially different. They should have listened to the fans!

The chickens would have been such a great showcase for the new facial animation system. ;(

I don't know Counterstrike, but -- facial expressions on chicken? What is this, Hot Shots?!

hehe, I think Marek was being ironical.

Although... I can imagine a chicken giving a nearby sniper the shifty eyes :shifty: