Chris

Idle Thumbs 268: Cheatin' Hitman

Yes Adam Baldwin somehow found out about the crazy ex-boyfriend's manifesto and labelled it GamerGate in a single tweet, which they used for a while for the more obviously evil acts until they tried to be "discrete" after the term "GamerGate" was banned from some websites. They switched to using the 5 Guys restaurant chain as code, although it was never not obvious to anyone paying attention. Meanwhile "GamerGate" became a smokescreen for recruiting more shitheads, but also some people who were truly ignorant.

It's pretty easy to dismiss GG people as fools, but they've actually been pretty clever (well, at least early on) about disguising what it was actually about - especially when directed at people who aren't necessarily in the know about everything. The only thing worse than a stupid asshole is a smart one.

When the Polytron site was hacked, which was GG outbreak week one I'm pretty sure, it was hacked with a Five Guys reference, so all that stuff was happening basically on top of itself.

Yeah the exact sequence of events is sorta... difficult to discern. A lot happened pretty quickly pretty early on. Suffice it to say, it was all bad. \:

Yeah the exact sequence of events is sorta... difficult to discern. A lot happened pretty quickly pretty early on. Suffice it to say, it was all bad. \:

As a historian, the ways that people have consciously and unconsciously structured the actions of various parties into a single narrative here is really a fascinating example of "hot" topics in history like memory and the agency of memory. It'll be a great dissertation for someone, a few decades from now...

Knowing how history(sometimes yesterday)-challenged members of that group are, some people have maintained a really great timeline of events.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On a less unfortunate topic, changing instances of "sneak" and "stealth" to "slyboots" with Word Replacer is great:

2YmduR.png

Don't want to derail this conversation even further into Nintendo + GamerGate talk, but I feel like it's sorta important to link to what Nintendo's response was, because learning about it on the podcast first made we wonder what the heck happened to 'don't be controversial' Nintendo.

“As many have observed, when viewed in its entirety the Nintendo Treehouse: Live segment for Paper Mario: Color Splash from E3 includes two jokes separated by commentary and gameplay that have no relation to each other. One joke has to do with Watergate, while the other is a nod to the Fungi Fun Guys from Mario Party 8. It was brought to our attention today that these two jokes have been spliced together and misconstrued as a crude reference to an online hate campaign. While we typically do not speak on localization matters, we feel the need to confirm that these jokes are not linked in the game and were never intended to be linked. Nintendo firmly rejects the harassment of individuals in any way and was surprised to learn that its gameplay was misinterpreted in this manner.

While it doesn't apologize or excuse the poorly-chosen localization, but seeing Nintendo actively call GamerGate an "online hate campaign" gives me some hope. Specifically considering Nintendo's sensitive PR and hesitation to wade into anything that could be considered political, it makes me think it's a genuine fuck up.

Nick should keep talking about Total War: Warhammer, because nothing is better than Chris murmuring, "Ah, [faction name]," every time Nick says a Warhammer term.

Also, I think the Dwarves are Byzantium? Norsca is definitely the Vikings.

I only know the map from the boardgame, Chaos in the Old World

maxresdefault.jpg

We always thought it was pretty much 1:1 Europe. Norsca being Scandinavia, Kislev/Troll Country the baltics/russia, The Empire being Poland or Germany from some time period, Brettonia France, Estalia Spain, Tilea is Italy and the Border Princes/The Badlands being the Balkan, probably not Greece.

I have no memory of Norsca. I wonder when it was introduced.