Jake

Idle Thumbs 267: Real Slyboots

Sly Bootles

Idle Thumbs 267:

948__header.jpg

Real Slyboots

It's E3 time again. This is a weird E3, landing in a transitional time when everyone might have preferred to not come but felt the obligation all the same. We untangle our own understanding of Sony and Microsoft's announcements, get stoked about Zelda, and visit the world's largest bag of Doritos.

Discussed: Xbox Scorpio, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Overland, Itch Refinery, The Haunted Mansion: Ghost Post

That intro part was unexpected and good! 

Agreed! I like secret games and Chris is apparently all about them. First the bear, now this...

Have not listened to the episode past the intro yet but I'm already excited by Chris's dumb (genius) game. 

At 23:48 Jake says "It's the first Zelda game with a jump button"... *pushes glasses up and waves a Zelda II cartridge*

I wish I actually had a a Zelda II cartridge.

Link's awakening also had a jump button via the Roc's Feather item.

Also, as far as the depiction of technology in Zelda goes, if you make it far enough into Twilight Princess it starts to be heavily hinted at that the magic used by the Twili (the race Midna and Zant are) is probably technology. It's not as blatant as what's been shown in Breath of the Wild. It's actually cool in the sense that it's sort of depicted in such a way medieval people would depict technology they didn't understand. Stuff that you would find on an old tapestry and then some History Channel motherfucker would point at it and go "This is obviously alien technology."

How many Slyboots were said? I lost count

Stay tuned for the YouTube version tonight.

I haven't listened yet but why is the title Sly Boots but no mention of Anachronox? The greatest JRPG using the Quake2 engine from Ion Storm. The only game that lets you recruit a whole planet into your party.

Sly Boots is the trench coat detective.

Link's awakening also had a jump button via the Roc's Feather item.

Also, as far as the depiction of technology in Zelda goes, if you make it far enough into Twilight Princess it starts to be heavily hinted at that the magic used by the Twili (the race Midna and Zant are) is probably technology. It's not as blatant as what's been shown in Breath of the Wild. It's actually cool in the sense that it's sort of depicted in such a way medieval people would depict technology they didn't understand. Stuff that you would find on an old tapestry and then some History Channel motherfucker would point at it and go "This is obviously alien technology."

Oh man yes that stuff! I meant to bring up the twilight princess glitch pixel neon aesthetic, as that seems really really related to the technology elements in the new game, but we talked about so many Zelda Things that I didn't have time, or the conversation steered away.

Whoops, there were a bunch of typos and I had to re-export the video. It'll have to be Friday morning.

The slyboots game is a great example of why Idle Thumbs is great. Every handful of episodes someone throws some sort of knuckleball into the mix to shake things up. I just wish it was a less ostentatious word, so Chris could have pushed it further.

As soon as I saw that Zelda in-game tablet I immediately assumed the same thing as the Thumbs, that this was classic Nintendo highlighting a specific hardware thing and that this meant NX had to be have a similar controller. But apparently, Aonuma said Zelda won't have any GamePad functionality at all, aside from off-TV gameplay. The E3 demo had a map on the gamepad but they said this won't be in the final version.

As soon as I saw that Zelda in-game tablet I immediately assumed the same thing as the Thumbs, that this was classic Nintendo highlighting a specific hardware thing and that this meant NX had to be have a similar controller. But apparently, Aonuma said Zelda won't have any GamePad functionality at all, aside from off-TV gameplay. The E3 demo had a map on the gamepad but they said this won't be in the final version.

If the NX is a portable that can also be used on a TV (almost the Wii U in reverse?), then they wouldn't want to design anything around the idea that you will be using two screens.

The SlyBoots game was a delightful little change of pace, genius use of hidden information, Chris!

Getting really excited for The Legend of FarCry: Breadth of the Wild Hunt, and your discussion might inspire some reader mail later today. I may wind up on Zelda media blackout from here on out, I've certainly seen everything I need to be hype incarnate; the only remaining question is if I'll be playing it on the NX or not given it's confirmed as a launch title.

The Wizard Jam stream was so choice, and I really hope you guys manage to get to the remaining games, (and maybe some of the past jam games too if there's time) we really need to see you tackle Rolling With the Pope and multiple dung beetle entries!

I seriously lost it when Chris announced this sly(boots) caper. :tup:

Jake seems to have been playing his own secret word game of seeing how many times he could say "one piece" when talking about Zelda.

i remember that you could disarm and take enemies' weapons in Wind Waker as well. it's interesting to note how Nintendo has already applied a lot of the changes people seem to be excited for in small ways across various games, but never committed to them in the same way they seem to be doing with Breath of the Wild.

regarding those subscription boxes that aren't about food: in my least charitable mood, they're this weird excess that's about having so much disposable income you're willing to give it away in some weird lottery for a chance at some trinkets you may or may not enjoy. i also realize though that it's closer to people signing up to being surprised, which while may not be a thing i find joy in, i can understand is some sort of relief in this capitalist hellscape.

✌

i remember that you could disarm and take enemies' weapons in Wind Waker as well. it's interesting to note how Nintendo has already applied a lot of the changes people seem to be excited for in small ways across various games, but never committed to them in the same way they seem to be doing with Breath of the Wild.

regarding those subscription boxes that aren't about food: in my least charitable mood, they're this weird excess that's about having so much disposable income you're willing to give it away in some weird lottery for a chance at some trinkets you may or may not enjoy. i also realize though that it's closer to people signing up to being surprised, which while may not be a thing i find joy in, i can understand is some sort of relief in this capitalist hellscape.

I am pretty skeptical of them generally as well, in large part because the stuff in them seems so cheap and disposable. But the Ghost Post has been a legitimately clever and well made series of puzzles, essentially. And even the trinkets are pretty cool--porcelain teacup and saucer, miniature wooden player piano, etc. It feels like a significant step above "put a bunch of stuff in a box." Of course, it's only at its most effective for those who love the Haunted Mansion, but we do, so that part was covered.

I lived with someone who got a loot crate every month. Our flat filled up with useless junk and he couldn't pay bills on time because all his money went towards a monthly subscription of inflatable superhero merchandise and retro video game tshirts. I'm with SgtWhistlebotom; a box of expensive crap showing up at your house every month sounds like a horrible nightmare.