Sign in to follow this  
Nelsormensch

Terminal7 51: I Have Thoughts About Vanilla

938__header.jpg

I Have Thoughts About Vanilla

Nels and Jesse have their minds freed by the fifth data pack in the Mumbad Cycle. Paths most noble, chelas most liberated and brains most stormed, The Liberated Mind is perhaps the most wonderfully weird data pack yet. And most importantly, you'll discover things about spices you never knew.

Games Discussed: Android: Netrunner

Figured I'd post here rather than bump an ancient episode. Checked out episode 1 and enjoyed how everything was described as delicious. I'll be working my way through the archive and probably check in from time to time.

Looking forward to find out what flat lining an 8 year-old is all about.

Great podcast! I love listening to you guys because of how excited you are about the game and the possibilities about card interactions rather than just being dismissive of new cards before even trying them out. You guys are so fun to listen to. Yeah puppet master is weird but I totally just put together a SYNC deck that uses it and the new Exchange of Information. It plays kind of like Beale or No Beale. The sweet thing I did with it the other day was I had 2 scored and the guy ran a junebug with one advancement on it. Then, he ran it, got to place 2 more advances on it before the access, bam! 6 net for the flatline! I don't think it's a tier 1 agenda, but I do think it's super fun. 

Figured I'd post here rather than bump an ancient episode. Checked out episode 1 and enjoyed how everything was described as delicious. I'll be working my way through the archive and probably check in from time to time.

Looking forward to find out what flat lining an 8 year-old is all about.

Oh man, heading back to the beginning! I haven't listened to the old episodes ... basically ever. God, what a weird trip that would be. Maybe we'll have to do that sometime.

Great podcast! I love listening to you guys because of how excited you are about the game and the possibilities about card interactions rather than just being dismissive of new cards before even trying them out. You guys are so fun to listen to. Yeah puppet master is weird but I totally just put together a SYNC deck that uses it and the new Exchange of Information. It plays kind of like Beale or No Beale. The sweet thing I did with it the other day was I had 2 scored and the guy ran a junebug with one advancement on it. Then, he ran it, got to place 2 more advances on it before the access, bam! 6 net for the flatline! I don't think it's a tier 1 agenda, but I do think it's super fun. 

Thanks! :D

And one thing neither Jesse nor I realized until we were done the cast was Pupper Master is actually not bad with Media Blitz. So you either score it (ideally with Mushin no Shin) or the Runner steals it and then you hit it up Media Blitz and now you're dropping advancements left and right. But that together with a couple Overwriters, which nobody ever expects out of NBN, and you might just have something there!

Can't wait for the next episode. I've been having so much fun with Exchange of Information in Argus (with Vanity Project), it's unreal. 

And one thing neither Jesse nor I realized until we were done the cast was Pupper Master is actually not bad with Media Blitz.

Ahhhhhhhh now I need to do this with some imported Ice Walls and Fire Walls. It will be called... A Song of Ice and Fire. Send the royalty check to my inbox, I can finally retire. 

An interesting article about the history of vanilla: How vanilla became shorthand for bland.

But the vanilla that wearies us is rarely vanilla at all. Anywhere from 90 percent to 97 percent of vanilla-flavored products are made with vanillin, a substance found in small quantities in natural vanilla but made synthetically for processed commercial foods. Real vanilla contains hundreds of different components that contribute to its nuanced taste and aroma. It is as different from vanillin as sugar is from Equal; vanilla possesses subtlety and depth, while vanillin is loud, brassy, superficial.

Also, Ed Harrison (of T7 music fame) is soundtracking one of the modes in the new Deus Ex! Hopefully he becomes the new go-to cyberpunk/cybernoir/etc composer, because he deserves it.

Also, had two questions for the podcast (and listeners):

First, what are the most exciting cards you've never been able to put into use? Especially given the amazing level of weirdness we're seeing in Liberated Mind (I actually laughed at the ridiculousness of a couple cards when I first opened my pack), there are bound to be a few amazing ones that you've always wanted to work into a deck but have never managed.

Second, what cards have you found yourself going to less and less as other cycles/packs have come out? I've personally found myself moving away from Fetal AI in my Jinteki decks as time has gone on, despite its having been absolutely vital when it first came out.