SuperBiasedMan

Idle Fiction Jam - Rumours and Hearsay

I really like this idea! I am taking a creative writing course this semester and I'm just getting used to sharing my writing for the first time, so this sounds like fun. And less pressure because I won't have to get a grade at the end! 

I think 5000 words sounds like a good maximum for me, but something like 3000 would probably make sure everyone reads everyone's work. Of course, this depends how many people end up submitting. 

I added a poll about word counts. Remember it's a maximum. You can absolutely write less, 15 word haikus are valid entries.

I think it even makes more sense to vote based on being a reader. How long of a text do you think is comfortable and easy to read, especially with multiple stories to read.

This sounds like fun! I want to hang out/lurk and make some sweet word babies too. I have a scourge of gonzo word barfs circling the brim of my mind, yearning for coprolitic expulsion into the idle-verse.

I am a forum baby but I want to write a thing!

Will jams be limited in terms of time?

Each jam will be a month long, to write a maximum of 3-5000 words (voting has not yet finished on that).

There is, however, no age restriction. So forum babies are entirely welcome.

Another forum baby signing up. Is dril tweeting a form of poetry yet? Because if so I've just the format.

as far as i'm concerned that's the only legitimate form of poetry

The first theme begins! We're all going to be writing about Space Boss: The Lord of Space. Looking forward to what people do with this title I did not remember existing at all.

The poll has also closed on a 3000 word limit. If you think that's low, bear in mind that if 10 people were to write stories, that's a difference between a total 30,000 or 50,000 words. In the interest of making it more readable, 30,000 is much more manageable (though I don't expect everyone to hit that maximum of course). Use the extra time to refine what you've written, tighten it up and do extra drafts.

I have edited the first post to include the basic rules and all the diversifiers. I recommend reading all of them now, then going and mulling over your story. When you have a basic idea, reread the diversifiers and see what changes they suggest to you. Diversifiers are good at pulling you out of ruts, or turning a bland feeling idea into something more interesting.

Now get out there and write your Space Boss stories!

Brb writing 50000 words

(IMO we should have a new thread for each new prompt, and maybe if it becomes a permanent fixture we could convince someone to make a dedicated sub forum)

Was racking my brain for something on this and coming up blank.

Off to listen to "Space Boss" by T-Rex.

ok i have an idea, I am calling dibs on it even though I dunno if I will get it done in time plus it is exceedingly unlikely anyone was going for the same thing: it will be a prose poem about Tehching Hsieh's Cage Piece

edit: posting about it increases the chances that I'll actually follow through with it by at least 20%.

http://pastebin.com/QuLLcuJ3 first draft and probably final submission if im being honest with myself. criticism is appreciated regardless. Too short? too long? is the last line a bit obvious? is it shit?

I liked it, it reminds me of the short stories Roald Dahl used to write. I don't get what the text from the print out is supposed to mean, nor do I understand why the last line would be obvious but there is a really good use of the limited number of words to provide a whole load of information.

My only suggestion might be to give a bit more context for Jeremy's exertion at the beginning - he came off as whiny until I full realised how much weight he was carrying in the second part of the story.

I liked it, it reminds me of the short stories Roald Dahl used to write. I don't get what the text from the print out is supposed to mean, nor do I understand why the last line would be obvious but there is a really good use of the limited number of words to provide a whole load of information.

My only suggestion might be to give a bit more context for Jeremy's exertion at the beginning - he came off as whiny until I full realised how much weight he was carrying in the second part of the story.

Sorry, just to clarify 'context at the beginning' - contextualise it during the first half, or provide more context for it later?

I have a word cloud that's extended into some scattered notes. Trying to nail down which ones of my divergent ideas I want to use and how I can fold different thoughts in on each other.

post-34425-0-87258700-1465212832_thumb.jpg

Here's my first draft http://pastebin.com/XdNzwYaV

It's been a while since I wrote anything. But this is kinda close to a style I used to write in so it's nice that I can still do it.
It could probably use a bit of work tense, grammar, and placement wise. But I tend to play around with that. 
I could have done something lighter but I aimed away from sci fi and decided to write drunk at night. Which is the breeding ground for this kind of tone from me.
Anyway critique and enjoy, or not :P

Sorry, just to clarify 'context at the beginning' - contextualise it during the first half, or provide more context for it later?

Contextualise it in the beginning, maybe give 'Jerem' a little bit more time to breathe as your only named character. I found him whiny in the first part and I didn't realise why until the second part (the bag was heavy, the long windy stair case really was long and windy).

You might not need to write much more but it might help to give more of a sense of fatigue, lengthening sentences in which Jeremy has to do anything usually help as it give the reader a sense of the duress he is under.  

I have a word cloud that's extended into some scattered notes. Trying to nail down which ones of my divergent ideas I want to use and how I can fold different thoughts in on each other.

Hhahah, I really like those thought process pages!

I almost went with something about how banal being the Space Boss was - like middle management for justice type thing. Being the Space Boss meant a lot of paper work while the real adventurers were off doing cool stuff. 

Contextualise it in the beginning, maybe give 'Jerem' a little bit more time to breathe as your only named character. I found him whiny in the first part and I didn't realise why until the second part (the bag was heavy, the long windy stair case really was long and windy).

You might not need to write much more but it might help to give more of a sense of fatigue, lengthening sentences in which Jeremy has to do anything usually help as it give the reader a sense of the duress he is under.  

I might try padding out the first section a bit, but I'm wary about making him too sympathetic in the first half. The idea was to get his fatigue across but also in the way that he is fatigued, but in a whiney sort of way.