This seems like an obvious choice of title but once I had the idea(s) in my head, I couldn’t get them out.

RICH UNCLE, COOL UNCLE

The Rich Uncle*

• 1 oz cognac (I’ve used Courvoisier, but any decent brandy would be fine)
  • 1/2 oz Cointreau
  • Prosecco or champagne.

Combine the cognac and liqueur in a champagne flute or wine glass. Top up with the sparkling wine. Don’t stir it; you want to keep it a little boozy around the bottom (much like your Rich Uncle).

The Cool Uncle** 

• 2oz Canadian Club (or bourbon)
  • 1oz Red vermouth 
  • Root beer (probably an artisanal variety)
  • Dash of orange bitters (or a wedge of orange, squeezed a little then stuffed in the glass)

Combine everything with ice in a tumbler glass. Your Cool Uncle would probably stir it with a cinnamon stick or something. 

* - I have tried this more often than I would like to admit in polite society. 

** - I have only tried this without the root beer (which is not that easy to find in London!). But it’s basically a combination of all the things I love so it’s probably good.

A Chill Hell

built from the bottom up in a highball glass:

• ice
  • 2 oz demerara rum
  • couple dashes of cayenne
  • 5 oz ginger ale
  • 1 oz Pimms, floated
  • cucumber spear

Osama's Dog

8 oz grapefruit juice

Salt the rim of the glass.

There's no alcohol allowed under Sharia law, so this is a Salty Dog minus the vodka.

As someone with a poorly stocked bar cabinet (currently hosting a single bottle of non-acoholic mulled wine) what are good starting ingredients for cocktails and the like? For reference, I'm way into the darkest of rums and G&T's. Will appreciate the occasional lager. I suspect my cohabitant is more into fruity or sweet drinks... An appletini man if I've ever met one.

Noteworthy: I've plenty kitchen experience and have access to a garden stocked with fruit, berries and herbs.
Also noteworthy: I am so poor.

As for those of you mad enough to be swigging malort, maybe try gammeldansk as well! From what I've heard it's like a spiced malort... I've never had malort though, so I can't offer any opinions.

As someone with a poorly stocked bar cabinet (currently hosting a single bottle of non-acoholic mulled wine) what are good starting ingredients for cocktails and the like? For reference, I'm way into the darkest of rums and G&T's. Will appreciate the occasional lager. I suspect my cohabitant is more into fruity or sweet drinks... An appletini man if I've ever met one.

Noteworthy: I've plenty kitchen experience and have access to a garden stocked with fruit, berries and herbs.

As for those of you mad enough to be swigging malort, maybe try gammeldansk as well! From what I've heard it's like a spiced malort... I've never had malort though, so I can't offer any opinions.

Get decent bottles of: gin, vodka, whiskey/bourbon and rum. From there simple things like soda water and garnish can be used to make a pretty wide variety of drinks.

Get decent bottles of: gin, vodka, whiskey/bourbon and rum. From there simple things like soda water and garnish can be used to make a pretty wide variety of drinks.

It is also true that building a bar is more costly than maintaining a bar. Things are likely not all going to run out at the same time, you'll find preferences, etc. I say this as a person who has the barest of bar shelves. I like a Dark and Stormy as a mixed drink for dark rum, if you've not had it. Counter to not going for the labels, I also like Kraken black rum.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/bartender-best-cheaper-substitutes-for-expensive-spirits.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/dont-be-fooled-4-alcohol-scams-2013-10

The word "cheap" means different things to different people but there are some reasonable suggestions in this article. Definitely true that you don't need a super fancy label if you're mixing drinks. Now I want to check out Plantation Vodka if I can find it.

As for mixers, I generally like to have tonic, soda, sweet & sour, bitters, vermouth, Coke, 7up, grenadine, lime, Red Bull, orange juice, and one other type of juice laying around. Obviously a couple of items on that list are because I love Manhattans and G&T's, but that gives you a pretty good cross section of different drinks you can make. Some of those things keep longer than others, but a good variety of mixers can make a single bottle of alcohol provide a lot more variety.

Ambitious Ambivalence

Has been tested as "drinkable" (Please read full instructions)

• 3 oz Bulleit Rye
  • .5 oz Grenadine
  • Dash bitters
  • 12 oz. bottle non-alcoholic Ginger Beer
  • .5 oz Squid Ink
  • 24K gold flakes, floated

Instructions:

Start by lining up all bottles on your counter and taking a good look at what you're about to do. Next, hesitate when deciding where you should start. Now is when the dread of realization about how much money you spent on those damn gold flakes for what amounts to as a one post joke on a forum sets in. Briefly stifle this dread as you tell yourself how awesome it's going to be when this drink is done. Waffle on which glass it should be put in. Realize you have no idea what you're doing. Pour Rye into whiskey glass. Serve as is.

Based on the cocktail I attempt to make at every party I've ever thrown. Rye can be substituted with Bourbon, Scotch, Irish Whiskey or just about any other alcohol.

Squid ink makes a killer mixer in Absinthe. 

Edit: I'm in a weird mood, I just ordered some. I guess that means that cocktails with it are no longer vegan.

A Chill Hell

2 thin slices of a crisp, tart apple
La-yu chili oil
A splash of absinthe or akvavit
2½ ounces of rye whisky
½ ounce of apple brandy
Ginger beer (or a stronger ginger ale like Vernors)
Curry bitters
Crushed ice
Dried chili pepper (for garnish)

Put a few drops of chili oil on both sides of the apple slices and fry in a very hot pan or on a grill until just beginning to char.

Dropped the fried apple slices in a rocks glass and muddle with the splash of absinthe or akvavit. Fill the glass about one half to two thirds full of crushed ice, then add the whisky and brandy and stir. Top up with ginger beer and float 10–20 drops of curry bitters, plus a few drops more of chili oil, and garnish with the dried chili.

This cocktail is a more piquant version of my Apple Curry cocktail and is totally drinkable, if you're okay with spice.

Edit: I posted a photo of the cocktail on my Twitter: https://twitter.com/sjontofa/status/738897085014106112

This is a drink I've made for myself for years, but I never came up with a satisfactory name for it.

Ya Gotta Have Spice

2 oz Pepper vodka (I use Crater Lake Pepper Vodka)

6 oz ********* juice

Drinkable, or at least I drink it a lot.

Edit: Okay, so apparently piña is automatically censored on this forum? I guess?

Also, I've got some ideas for a Disable Enemies to Reveal Enemies drink that I may need to try this weekend.

Also, I've got some ideas for a Disable Enemies to Reveal Enemies drink that I may need to try this weekend.

It clearly needs to be a pretty strong drink, at the very least.

The first few installments of this:

http://scoutmagazine.ca/2014/03/28/drinker-building-an-excellent-home-bar-5-bottles-and-1-quality-cocktail-at-a-time/

may be of interest as they cover the "essentials" first and branch outwards from there.

edit: oh on mobile at least that first one doesn't appear to link to the others, but this 9th one links to previous ones: http://scoutmagazine.ca/2016/06/03/drinker-how-to-build-a-strong-home-bar-one-drink-and-five-bottles-at-a-time-part-9/

I made a variation on the dill gin and tonic served at Carthat Circle in Disneyland

2oz gin

3oz tonic

1/2 dill pickle brine

dash of celery bitters

Serve over ice with dill sprig garnish.

Blondie, Freckles, and Glasses

1oz fresh squeezed lemon juice

1oz citrus vodka

2oz fresh squeezed orange juice (I use cara cara)

2oz Aperol

Shake and strain into a highball glass over ice with a mint leaf garnish

Quite drinkable.

Late to the party here, just heard the latest episode and saw the thread.  12 Bottle Bar is a great blog that attempts to create a large variety of great drinks using a very limited selection of spirits.  Of their 12 bottles, they offer great advice on budget options vs premium, and picking things from their list means being able to access the various super-solid recipes they publish.  Their book is excellent too, exploring way more than just a recipe list. 

http://12bottlebar.com/bottles/

I'm a bartender, cocktail nerd and longtime thumbs fan so if anyone has questions about how to make their ideas into real, delicious stuff I'll keep an eye on the thread :D

Here's the birth of the cocktail-in-ice-ball, at The Aviary here in Chicago:

And here's someone breaking into the thing in actual service, complete with cool slingshot glass attachment:

It should be noted that this is super cute but a properly mixed cocktail with fresh clear ice will ALWAYS deliver superior results.  The crushed ice ball dilutes super quickly because it has a ton of surface area and air bubbles (see how cloudy!) so you end up with a pretty watered-down warm drink much faster than a traditional decent preparation. 

I got the promised squid ink in the mail, but I've been sick, so I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet.

I made a variation on the dill gin and tonic served at Carthat Circle in Disneyland

2oz gin

3oz tonic

1/2 dill pickle brine

dash of celery bitters

Serve over ice with dill sprig garnish.

Ahem:

The rules are similar to Wizard Jam's parameters - submit a recipe that uses an Idle Thumbs episode title or otherwise references Idle Thumbs.

As an aside, I can confirm that this is a good drink!

Late to the party here, just heard the latest episode and saw the thread.  12 Bottle Bar is a great blog that attempts to create a large variety of great drinks using a very limited selection of spirits.  Of their 12 bottles, they offer great advice on budget options vs premium, and picking things from their list means being able to access the various super-solid recipes they publish.  Their book is excellent too, exploring way more than just a recipe list. 

http://12bottlebar.com/bottles/

I'm a bartender, cocktail nerd and longtime thumbs fan so if anyone has questions about how to make their ideas into real, delicious stuff I'll keep an eye on the thread :D

Awesome, cheers!

Business Guys On Planes

1 nip (~50ml) Jack Daniels

Half can of diet coke

Serve on the rocks in a disposable plastic cup.

I had a Business Guys On Planes today while flying to Seattle

rQGDiaQ.jpg?2

I had the proportions slightly off, I only fit about 1/3 of the can in that tiny cup.

Ahem:As an aside, I can confirm that this is a good drink!

Fine, it's called The Great Gatling Gunsby

TGIF, Finally

2 oz bourbon

1.5 oz Pok Pok Som tamarind drinking vinegar

Juice of 1 lime

A few dashes of Peychaud's bitters

Shake with ice until the shaker is frosty, then strain into a small rocks glass with a few fresh cubes of ice.

The inspiration for this comes not only from the fact that it's a nice tart drink with which to celebrate the weekend, but also from Danielle's move to Brooklyn (where Pok Pok NY is located, and where I had a whisky sour similar to this when I visited earlier this year). It is most definitely drinkable.

Photo posted on my Twitter: https://twitter.com/sjontofa/status/742161432314142722