Getting me to actually follow through on an idea for once, the Idle Thumbs Community presents:

Mouth Feel: The Summer Wizard Cocktail Jam

Inspired by Thumbs Tiki Drink Streams and a reader sending in a homemade recipe called the Similar Face, this is a place for people who may not be aspiring game developers but want to drink like devs do.

The rules are similar to Wizard Jam's parameters - submit a recipe that uses an Idle Thumbs episode title or otherwise references Idle Thumbs. An abbreviated list of Thumbs titles (about the first 200) can be found here.

One important additional rule:

For a matter of (literal) taste, please note whether you have made and consumed your cocktail, or at least have created it with the intention of humans doing so. We want to encourage silly jokes like The Fanboy's Lament being 99 bananas and angostura bitters served at room temperature, but the opportunity to share legitimate drinks with silly names and maybe (per Chris) have them featured as drinks on a stream sometimes means we also want to tag appropriately.

Submit your cocktail recipes here! If you prepare and document the creation and consumption of a beverage, even better!

Please feel free to submit as many recipes as you'd like. If we get to a point where we go through all the suggestions and need to narrow it down, we'll cross that bridge then.

Silly starter example:

Cool Uncle - a New Belgium Fat Tire, submitted by applecider

Go forth and drink!

I'm hyped and ready for this!

The Serious Ma'am

Inspired by a few cocktails including the The Sour Lady but with the flavor profile shifted a bit, some preparations due to change.

• .25 oz. hibiscus absinthe (key because it provides the pink/red color)
  • 1 oz. vodka
  • 2-3 oz rose champagne
  • few drops of peynaud's bitters
  • 1 oz basil infused simple syrup
Muddle 1 strawberry with .5 oz of the basil infused simple syrup until well mixed. Dump into glass unceremoniously. In clean shaker, pour .25 oz of the hibiscus absinthe,

1 oz vodka, .5 oz basil syrup, and then 2-3 oz of the rose, whatever your preference. Shake well with ice until very cold. Pour over strawberry syrup muddle. Add 4-5 drops of

bitters. Garnish with 2 strawberry slices.

Edit: So right now the recipe has been modified and we're looking to sample some different methods of preparation. Basically we've decided on muddling the strawberries

as well as going to try what the final drink looks like shaken vs. stirred. I'm thinking stirred, my friend thinks shaken.

Edit 2: FINAL FORM POSTED.

This is seriously a very fruity but slightly herby cocktail that is refreshing and not too heavy on the tongue. Be careful though, this goes down quick and gets you drunker'n fuck.

This cocktail is subject to change as I actually make it, rather than modify preexisting recipes on the back of an envelope while at work.

The Death of Nick Breckon

Inspired by Hemingway's "Death in the Afternoon" but without baby alcohol like champagne ruining it.

1 oz. absinthe

2 oz. white rum

2 oz. heavy cream or 1 egg white

Crushed ice

A dash of lemon juice

In a cocktail shaker, combine absinthe, rum, cream, and egg white. Add ice and shake vigorously for twenty seconds, at least until frothy, then strain into a chilled highball glass, sprinkle with lemon juice, and serve.

EDIT: Tested and drinkable, although I have no idea why I made a cocktail with absinthe when absinthe makes me gag.

I love cocktails but am bad at coming up with new ones so here are some episode titles/title fragments to hopefully jump-start someone else:

A Farewell to Junior Mints (creme de menthe?)

Spector's Oil

A Refined Baby

[The Curious Case of] The Rhode Island Reader

Cyberpunk Cop-Killer

Please don't:

Poopwater [New Mexico]

I love cocktails but am bad at coming up with new ones so here are some episode titles/title fragments to hopefully jump-start someone else:

Spector's Oil

I have a desire to make something for Spector's Oil, but I'm waiting to see if my first one is actually drinkable.

EDIT: Okay, I can't resist some guesswork here, either.

Spector's Oil

Inspired by flavors that make me think of blackness, plus simple syrup so you don't die from drinking it

2 oz. bourbon

1 oz. creme de cassis

1/2 oz. simple syrup

1/4 oz. Angostura bitters

An orange slice

A dash of cinnamon

Shake the bourbon, creme de cassis, syrup, and bitters with ice, then strain over more ice in an old-fashioned glass. Rub the rim with the orange slice, then sprinkle the cinnamon on it. Garnish the drink with the same slice, if desired.

Tested and drinkable, although I had to substitute a sweet red for creme de cassis. The cinnamon works especially well.

Poopwater New Mexico

2.5 oz Godiva Chocolate Liquor

1.5 oz pepper infused vodka

a few chocolate chunks (or chips)

a dash of chili powder

Oh mannnn. This is so great. Good job everyone.

This is great. It would also be super cool if these were the drinks the Thumbs made when streaming Wizard Jam games.

The Bear's Black Heart

• 2 oz. vodka
  • 1/2 oz. simple syrup
  • 1/2 oz. lime juice
  • 2 oz. blackberries

Muddle blackberries, combine other ingredients. Fill glass 2/3rds full with crushed ice. Swizzle. Fill with crushed ice. Garnish with cherry. I haven't drank this cocktail because I don't really use vodka for cocktails, but I've drank something nearly identical using white rum instead (and no cherry garnish) so I'm confident in pronouncing this drink fit for human consumption.

I'm sorry. DON'T ACTUALLY MAKE/DRINK THESE, I've never made them and am just making shit up based on the title:

charge guy, tree guy, ice guy, bendy guy

2 oz vodka

2 oz red bull

1/2 oz rosemary syrup

crushed ice

twizzler, for use as a straw

also for Life Finds a Way: some regular ass drink, but then toss some sea monkeys in it

more undrinkableness:

Kobe's Last Shot

1/2oz wagyu beef consomme

1/2oz 190 proof everclear

I think one thing we should do in this thread is explicitly state whether a given drink has been actually constructed and consumed by a human, and whether it's basically palatable or not. That way there's still room for people to just make jokes, but also room to use this as a legitimate cocktail jam, so we can drink them on a stream some time—and so other readers can make them too! (I don't mind drinking some total disasters also but I think it would be tough to sustain after a few super-gross concoctions.)

I think one thing we should do in this thread is explicitly state whether a given drink has been actually constructed and consumed by a human, and whether it's basically palatable or not. That way there's still room for people to just make jokes, but also room to use this as a legitimate cocktail jam, so we can drink them on a stream some time—and so other readers can make them too! (I don't mind drinking some total disasters also but I think it would be tough to sustain after a few super-gross concoctions.)

Good idea! I've updated the first post to reflect the sentiment.

Workshopping this cocktail. I'm very interested in something that fits Spector's Oil.

I feel like it should either (at least) be very dark, maybe a black rum, or it should have a licorice/anise flavor. It would also make sense to me to have a layered cocktail with something floating on top, but I don't think that necessarily tracks at least with rum.

Checking ouzo cocktail recipes, there's one called the TKO which is tequila, kahlua and ouzo. That might be a good starting point. Maybe take out the tequila and float creme de cacao on top?

Yeah, this is why mine doesn't precisely have a working set of instructions yet - this is getting mixed and tested this weekend on my very own guinea pig. For science! 

Not the Greatest, but the Best

• 3 parts [bonded Bourbon or rye whiskey]
  • 2 part apple brandy
  • 1 part thyme simple syrup
  • Orange slice

Pour everything over a single ice cube and stir. Squeeze orange slice and drop in the glass. Serve.

Osama's Dog

• 1 part gin
  • 1 part sparking wine
  • 1 part Vimto

Pour into cocktail glass in order, garnish with lemon. Serve.

Ragnar Calls it Quits

• 2oz Malort
  • dash of spring water
  • salt

This just tastes like defeat and tears. And melted tires.

Scoops Horn

2 oz whipped cream or vanilla vodka

1.5 oz Chambord

1 oz lemon juice

Stir and garnish with a scoop of raspberries.

Untested, except that this is basically just a French Horn with flavored vodka, and those are pretty good.

Not the Greatest, but the Best

• 3 parts [bonded Bourbon or rye whiskey]
  • 2 part apple brandy
  • 1 part thyme simple syrup
  • Orange slice

Pour everything over a single ice cube and stir. Squeeze orange slice and drop in the glass. Serve.

Osama's Dog

• 1 part gin
  • 1 part sparking wine
  • 1 part Vimto

Pour into cocktail glass in order, garnish with lemon. Serve.

Ragnar Calls it Quits

• 2oz Malort
  • dash of spring water
  • salt

This just tastes like defeat and tears. And melted tires.

OMG Malort. When I lived in Chicago people would buy people shots of this for people's birthdays as like a practical joke.

Can we try to replicate a cocktail we've had at a bar? Because I'd love to make a dill gin and tonic.

Also, I am overseas, but wanna participate in this. So I will, but late.

EDIT: getting my idea down:

EDITED AGAIN ON 8/8/2016 with final, tested recipe

A Refined Baby

2 oz neutral shochu (I imagine you can safely substitute Vodka)

1 oz calpis concentrate

0.25oz creme de cassis

Mix with ice in collins glass, top with soda water.

Obviously based on (uhhh almost identical to) a calpis chuhai, with another typical J ingredient basically chosen for color. Initially titled "A Refined Baby", and then switched to "Video Game Baby" because I didn't think it was particularly "refined", but then switched back again to "A Refined Baby" because damnit it's so much better of a name.

I have not made this yet, but it's so similar to an established drink that I know it will at least be palatable. I have it's good.