Sign in to follow this  
Lokno

[Dev Log] Yet Another Build the Nublar

Hello! My friends and I are working on our own nublar. You have likely seen some other nublars in the works (here and here), but we plan to totally disrupt the growing nublar market. We are deconstructing the nublar to its very core. It's like Uber, but for Nublar.

In our game you play as John Hammond, sitting alone sadly eating ice cream, daydreaming about what could have been as your best intentions crumble around you. Your greatest dream is to build the nublar, and while this attempt is looking rather grim, NEXT time you'll have control. For the time being, you're talking control of your life by sampling as much premium ice cream (spared no expense) as possible before it melts. The game is over when Ellie Sattler enters to extinguish your last dim hopes of success.

Devs: Jonathan Decker, Ben Stryker, and Katie Stryker

nublar_dev_1.png

Progress! We've got some assets together and we're working on logic. When we first imported John Hammond into Unity (J-Hams as we're calling him internally) he appeared blue. Turns out this was a compression issue and we needed to use true color, but also helped us brainstorm a mechanic where if you eat too fast you get an ice cream headache. 

nublar_dev_2.png

Lots more assets and UI. It's a balance game where you have to maintain a rate of consumption between not missing out on ice cream before it melts and not eating so fast you get an ice cream headache. You know just like in the movie.

Oh mannn I am very glad to see the official canonical JP UI in two jam games. Two Nublars no less.

Oh mannn I am very glad to see the official canonical JP UI in two jam games. Two Nublars no less.

Oh my gosh yes, I was so stoked to see your team's progress, it's amazing.

Welp, unfortunately we don't have build we can submit in time so I guess we're out unless there is an extension. We'll keep working on it tonight and post the result tho. I didn't realize the deadline was 7pm EST. ^^;

Update: Unfortunately, "Build The Nublar : John Hammond's Ice Cream Panic" is officially canceled. After the deadline, life happened and we were unable to find the time to adequately finish it. And to be perfectly honest I feel like we lost the plot, both literally and figuratively. 

We did however create a game for last year's Winter Wizard Jam, please enjoy:

Looking forward to the jam stream, and future jams! Thanks so much to the Idle Thumbs community organizers.