Mythalore

[Updated] [V/4 Feedback Request] Rogue Robot Rogues or Disable Enemies to Reveal Enemies

Rogue robotic ninjas from a rival company are trying to steal the data on your company's mainframe.
You are the mainframe's automated defence system, and its last hope...

I had my last exam for the year on Monday and after that I didn't really feel like continuing with my first wizard jam game.
However, after seeing the title for yesterday's Idle Thumbs, I had this idea and now I can't stop thinking about it so I'm going to see what I can get done.

In the game you play as a turret fighting off robotic ninjas armed with cloaking devices, which renders them completely invisible, so you have to use an EMP to disable them in order to reveal their locations.

I started development yesterday, so far I've got the turret in along with bullets and the EMP wave, next I'm going to work on the enemies.

Update1.gif

Cheers!

Shouldn't be too bad, I've still got more time than an average Ludum Dare.

Update 2 - Enemies:

I had to update Unity to 5.3 in order to use a plugin for pathfinding so I've spent most of this evening doing that but I've managed to get enemies in now.

They're still visible and the EMP doesn't do anything yet but they're there, if a little suicidal.

Update2_Enemies.gif

Update 3 - Pathfinding and Reload:

I've added barriers in for the enemies to help funnel them towards the player.

I've also added a reload animation for the bullets and a light to the enemies.

Next I'm going to get the EMP functional.

Update2_PathingAndReload.gif

Update 4 - EMP functional

Got the EMP in and working so it now reveals enemies for you to shoot.

Need to get the main objective in next which is the data cell you need to defend.

Update3_EMP.gif

Update 5 - Objective and Colour Scheme Change

I've made a good start on the objective system, although enemies just get destroyed when they reach their objective, now to have them steal it.

I've also altered the colour scheme somewhat to make the active elements stand out more.

Update3_Objective.gif

Update 6 - Objective Complete

The enemies now steal their assigned objective and try to escape with it, this renders them unaffected by the EMP (which is apparently colour sensitive :P).

This also causes all other enemies with the stolen objective to get new ones.

Objectives basically act as a health system and if lost will result in a game over, they can only be reclaimed by shooting an escaping enemy.

Update4_Rogues_2.gif

Thanks, I'm really glad you like it.  ^_^

This is the first game I've been able to make in ages due to being far too busy with uni work (I'm studying games tech, ironically) but it's turning out to be one of the best.

Update 7 - Explode, Reload

I've added an enemy death explosion and a reload meter for the EMP.

The game is now feature complete, just UI and audio stuff left.

Update7_ReloadExplode.gif

Congrats, Mythalore, I look forward to playing this in a few days time!

To change your thread title, edit the original post and click the Full Editor button.

Thanks, I'm going to keep working on the game, there's still quite a bit of polish I want to do but I'll keep the Jam version up as well.

To change your thread title, edit the original post and click the Full Editor button.

Cheers, I must of been too tired to think of that at the time.

Post Jam Update 1, Version 2

I've mainly been focusing on balancing the game and adding more variation to the gameplay.

There's now a second enemy type which can be seen but is immune to the EMP until shot.

The game gets steadily harder as you lose data cells, that now spin slowly around you which should help fix some of the pathfinding issues.

I've also made a few minor fixes, locked the resolution to 16:9 for better support, cleaned up the menu and removed the dependency on frame rate for some things.

You can play the updated version here: https://mythalore.itch.io/rogue-robot-rogues

UpdateR1_NewEnemy-Balance.gif

I like this game quite a bit. I found a strategy which got me to about 500, and then I stopped losing health. I was still going strong at this point.

p5GE8sr.png?1

Great mechanic, really fun to see a blue data running away from you and then blasting an invisible dude.

I was on board till the rotters tried to steal my babies and then i had to emp that shit.

Aweseome pewpew sound effects.

This game gave me really good flashbacks to my first video game experiences on an Atari 800XL computer my uncle gave us. It made me want to find an old clunky, clicky, plastic joystick!

I like the mechanics here, especially with the chance to recover your errant data cells, and the presentation is nice and clean. Good stuff!

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm really glad you all seem to like the main mechanic of the game.

I really like how it reminds me of the way ominous blips always seem to appear on radars in old WWII movies, scary stuff that.

Post Jam Update 2, Version 3

I've been playing the game quite a bit myself and I feel that version 2 is still a bit to stale.

Since the difficulty curve in version 2 is based on the amount of health you have left, if you never lose any health the game never gets harder which can get pretty boring after awhile.

I've updated the game to try and combat this, I've changed the difficulty so it increases over time and I've made it so the game area shrinks as you lose health making it easier for the robots to escape.

I've also limited the bullets to a burst of three before needing to reload, I feel this makes the experience on the whole a lot more tense as the game progresses, although it's still possible to survive for awhile (I've gotten to 516) it's now more difficult then simply holding the mouse down.

This update also pulls the game much closer to how it was originally envisioned as I had the fading of the light in from the get go but I had to cut it for the jam due to time constraints.

UpdateR2_DifficultyAndGameSphere.gif

Link: https://mythalore.itch.io/rogue-robot-rogues

Hi all,

I've been working on updating my Wizard Jam game, Rogue Robot Rogues.

The plan is to get it to a somewhat final version ready for exhibiting at EGX in September, so as part of this I'm going to be releasing the odd update building up to the conference.

Starting with a playable build for the leftfield collection submission at the end of the month, any feedback on this new version is very welcome as I've made a number of changes that I hope improve the pace and playability of the game.

Rogue Robot Rogues, Version 4 - Power Ups and Polish

The main focus of this new version is a power up system. The power ups have a chance of being dropped by shielded enemies, after which they need to be shot and then they will activate an effect. Currently there are three power ups, a green health drop which gives back one data orb when collected, a yellow pick up which grants super fast EMP cooldown and a purple power up which removes the need to reload. Both the yellow and purple power ups last for a limited time. The idea with this system is to add longevity to each run of the game, so it's not just entirely downhill from the first loss of an orb.

Update-4.6.gif

The secondary aim of this update has been to improve the overall player experience and increase replayability. As part of this I have added in a death sequence to the end of each run which allows a couple of seconds to actually comprehend each loss, as well as working much better narratively. I've also added a local highscore system which keeps track of your highest score as you play providing a constant target to aim for. Along with this I've fixed a large number of bugs with earlier versions and polished up a number of features to make them more intuitive/functional/less-buggy-in-general.

Below is a link to the game's itch.io page and a current playable build of the game, any and all feedback is greatly appreciated especially with the submission deadline approaching.

It's an Itch.io link: https://mythalore.itch.io/rogue-robot-rogues