Sign in to follow this  
Cordeos

Total Warhammer

About to beat the long campaign on very hard as Dwarf (Chaos invasion is over and there is nothing on the map that can make a dent to any of my armies) and because of lack of mounts I guess Dwarf heroes are least exciting to level up.  Helicopters are funny but pistols are little lackluster?  Like I rather have more crossbow than mixing it up with guns.  Flamethrower seems nice but definitely require more micro than I can bother mustering most of the time (most probably cause it just doesn't fit the type of army I'm running).  Late game artillery are like something between Shogun 2's and FotS, but there are lot of avenue to squeeze out extra power from those so I suppose I haven't quite experienced fully maxed out ones yet.  Plus it's on very hard where I'm basically running with huge handicap vs AI's super units so maybe on normal all these stuff can really kick ass.

I'm going to teak the ini file later to double body count and run normal on battle to get full taste of battle.  Maybe give campaign side more buffs if such can be managed on ini settings alone cause mid to late game AI just... doesn't do anything even on very hard.  Like they run completely out of gas.  It's certainly lot less infuriating than watching full stacks of Samurais materializing before your eyes in Shogun 2 but I'm going to see if I can find something between the two.

I wonder what the level cap is on heroes?

Update: finished, grudge book is cool but predictably can get very annoying when dealing with stuff you don't like (like assassinations).  Also level cap is 30.

I'm only about 3 hours into the campaign so far, and while I'm liking it generally I'm running into a lot of frustration with some of the mechanics.  I think the new focus on hero units is interesting, but practically it's creating a lot of really frustrating situations.  I've noticed in particular that a single high level lord or hero unit can tip the balance of power so severely in the favor of that army such that they are really the only target worth attacking.  Also, and I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I've got one army tied down in the middle of the map completely unable to move due to one hero unit doing something to it, and am unable to attack it.  This has lead to a really goofy situation where I've basically got a train of assassins heading to that hero trying to assassinate it while other enemy armies just kind of roam around my terrain sacking towns as they like.  I feel like every time I'm getting into the game like I have with past Total Wars, I butt up against some oddity like not being able to attack while in the marching stance or not being able to take out the enemy on my flank because my faction isn't allowed to take their settlement.

Razing settlements you can't take is actually pretty huge deal because it will take a while before AI reclaim it, but I believe there are mods that let you take whatever.

Also... giants or giant spider?

Figured out why the Chaos campaign is listed as hard. I had just finished clearing out the dwarves in the north and was about to sweep down upon the realms of man when

tzeentch decided to send a level 30 avatar with two full stack armies of the best chaos troops against me. I had two armies of the second level of troops and got absolutely demolished. Maybe I should have tried fleeing all the way to the south of the map. Guess I will start an ork game.

I would say Ork is the easiest for sure.  But do be careful on how tunneling works cause AI neighbors will use that a lot so you need to understand that mountain borders are not as secure as they would be for others.

Actually most places are listing Greenskins as the hardest campaign due to how fightiness works! Dwarves are supposedly the easiest to get to grips with as a new player because their units are very solid and require little micromanagement.

I found fightiness to be the easiest resource to manage to the point where I think it can effectively be ignored (which in fact I did on my first time playing as them to victory).

So you take attrition when it gets really low but here is the kicker, at that point game gives you this button to raise fightiness so at worst you take 1 turn of attrition which can be healed up in a single turn in a town.

Or just put standing armies in raiding stance to constantly raise fightiness.

Dwarves are way harder IMO, their armies are slow and you are surrounded by Orks that will hit you twice as hard as any other factions cause of the Whaaaagggghhh free army mechanics.

Actually most places are listing Greenskins as the hardest campaign due to how fightiness works! Dwarves are supposedly the easiest to get to grips with as a new player because their units are very solid and require little micromanagement.

Dwarves are easy to use but their strategic situation is tricky. And their grudge mechanic has the possibility of a death spiral.

Empire seems like possibly the best start - and maybe the best campaign?

I'm trying Empire on Legendary and it's a whole different game than what I dealt with as Orks because I can't reliably get my back against end of the world the way Orks can early on... and not getting free army every now and then is another.  So I'm just pinballing around in my 2 province holding fending off endless aggression from everyone including this one dwarf faction.  And I got grand total of 1 faction to trade with me :x

I think dominant strategy in legendary is going to be intentionally spawning rebels and farming them.  Because if you are prepared (and it's not too hard to be ready to stomp rebel stacks since they have fixed spawn points), it's probably the best source of EXP, income, items and even some advanced siege weapons (if the rebel spawn is same tech/faction group).

Update: Yep, by raiding your own province you can pretty much guarantee a rebel spawn and it's just easy farming from there.

I am really liking the Vampire Counts. Their monster units are so much fun to use. Who needs archers when you have what amounts to flying trolls?

I played a bunch of Medieval and Rome (loved them), played very little of Empire (did not like it), and a bit more of Shogun 2 (liked it, I think, but for some reason felt like I was done after one campaign). I get bored with the real time combat after a few battles, and only play the strategic layer of the campaign after that. The problem is, the autoresolve was pretty brutal at least in some of the previous iterations. How is the autoresolve in this one? Is the turn-based strategy part enjoyable in itself or has it been streamlined too much? Is the combat more exciting now?

I played a bunch of Medieval and Rome (loved them), played very little of Empire (did not like it), and a bit more of Shogun 2 (liked it, I think, but for some reason felt like I was done after one campaign). I get bored with the real time combat after a few battles, and only play the strategic layer of the campaign after that. The problem is, the autoresolve was pretty brutal at least in some of the previous iterations. How is the autoresolve in this one? Is the turn-based strategy part enjoyable in itself or has it been streamlined too much? Is the combat more exciting now?

Autoresolve seems ok as long as you are not using giant single units, they seem to die pretty fast. I think combat is a lot more exciting with the addition of monster and hero units. Its fun watching powerful units smash into infantry lines or pulling a spell off at a time that turns your fortunes around.

Autoresolve is, minus the single/few unit problem that Cordeos talks about, considered by the community and myself to be borderline exploitative on higher difficulty.

I think combat is better for the most part.  Lot of average unit micros (like shield wall or diamond formation for cavalry) are gone but those have been moved to heroes as spell.  There is also bit of item collecting going on to boost generals' stats.

City management is... definitely not as 'impressive' as it was in Medieval 2.  It functions well as a game but nothing like transforming a small castle into 3 layers of ultra fort with bustling town inside of it.  But then again, you only got that sense of improvement from battlefield and actual fighting is just really good here IMO.

Overall strategy layer is streamlined but that's comparing it to the mess that was Rome 2.  Compare to say, Shogun 2, I think there is way more to do management wise (diplomacy is still whacked out on harder difficulties).  Then again, Shogun 2's management aspect was super streamlined for me because I read up on someone's math that it was actually the best to never improve your castles so that they consume less rice for better overall growth.

First expansion announced: Beastmen

“With a uniquely aggressive horde-style campaign game, the Beastmen are masters of unconventional warfare both on and off the battlefield. They feature an array of unique gameplay mechanics, including the ability to travel through overgrown Beastpaths to outmanoeuvre unsuspecting foes and, through a dark bond with Morrslieb, the Chaos Moon, perform twisted acts of faith to gain its favour.”

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/14/total-warhammer-beastmen-expansion-announced/

Uh so this is maybe a dumb question but...I'm pretty far into a Dwarf campaign, have killed all the orcs and chaos (I believe, there might be another army running around in the fog of war to the north), but I don't know how to win? I can't find any listing of victory conditions anywhere, online or in-game. I own the vast majority of the holds I can capture, and have no more quests to do...what am I missing here?

edit: also to make this post current or relevant or whatever....Wood Elves are out? I haven't played them but coworkers have been saying their units are too weak compared to the other races.

double edit: ok I think the only piece I was missing was I needed to clear out the Book of Grudges. But I didn't figure that out until I'd completely annihilated every other faction, so this ended up being an extremely exhausting ~15 hour, 400 turn campaign.

On 12/17/2016 at 10:26 AM, Dinosaursssssss said:

Uh so this is maybe a dumb question but...I'm pretty far into a Dwarf campaign, have killed all the orcs and chaos (I believe, there might be another army running around in the fog of war to the north), but I don't know how to win? I can't find any listing of victory conditions anywhere, online or in-game. I own the vast majority of the holds I can capture, and have no more quests to do...what am I missing here?

edit: also to make this post current or relevant or whatever....Wood Elves are out? I haven't played them but coworkers have been saying their units are too weak compared to the other races.

double edit: ok I think the only piece I was missing was I needed to clear out the Book of Grudges. But I didn't figure that out until I'd completely annihilated every other faction, so this ended up being an extremely exhausting ~15 hour, 400 turn campaign.

my understanding of the wood elves is that they are weak in melee so require a lot of micromanagement to keep alive. They are sort of glass cannons

Yeah wood elves are a pain in the arse to play but their units are so damn cool. As for victory conditions, there actually is a button for it in the campaign just above the end turn button. I believe the keyboard shortcut is <9>.

Hmm, apparently this is part of the Humble Monthly Bundle, making it cost $12. It's tempting....

LIZARDMEN!
Also High Elves, Dark Elves and maybe Skaven?

My understanding of Total Warhammer 2 is that it will be a stand alone that can be tied into the first game. I am really excited by the idea of a massive campaign map with all the races after the 3rd game comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=IMigA-7oudA

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/31/total-war-warhammer-2-announced/

Yeah it looks like Skaven to me. Looking forward to it! I always thought Lizardmen were cool as hell. I wonder whether they'll have the floating undead toad wizard mummy, Lord Kroak. :hypnotoad:

3 hours ago, riadsala said:

Any idea what the 3rd game might be?

Based on previous statements by the team it will add Chaos Dwarves, Tomb Kings and Ogre Kingdoms as well as splitting Chaos into 4 sub factions for the 4 chaos gods. Might also have some more human sub factions. Sounds like the 2nd game will have sub factions of the previous races as well.

On 07/04/2017 at 5:13 PM, Cordeos said:

Based on previous statements by the team it will add Chaos Dwarves, Tomb Kings and Ogre Kingdoms as well as splitting Chaos into 4 sub factions for the 4 chaos gods. Might also have some more human sub factions. Sounds like the 2nd game will have sub factions of the previous races as well.

That's surely going to make for a weird stand alone map? Although maybe the lore has changed enough since i played in the 90s that there's a sensible chunk of map that they can use.

1 hour ago, riadsala said:

That's surely going to make for a weird stand alone map? Although maybe the lore has changed enough since i played in the 90s that there's a sensible chunk of map that they can use.

The standalone map may include races from the first two games as unplayable. I know they plan on making a world map at some point with every race on it.