Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 356: Ashes of the Singularity

Three Moves Ahead 356:

931__header.jpg

Ashes of the Singularity
Ashes of the Singularity is hard to pin down. It's not fast, like Starcraft. It doesn't have the same swagger as Grey Goo. The single-player campaign leaves much to be desired. Yet there are still some interesting mechanics that make it a point of interest on the RTS map, a giant ball of string that, while not as much fun as Mount Rushmore, was good for at least one fun picture.

Ashes of the Singularity, Starcraft, Grey Goo, Homeworld

Just listening to the podcaste

I haven't played this, but have been intrigued

one thing I'd like to comment on, you guys acclaimed the army system. Is it like the Rise of Nations system? cause that game did that, and from listening, way way better,  way back in 2004....and didn't even need a army number assigned to it, units just straight up joined the group and started fighting. Cannons stayed in the back, pike units where in front, cavalry skirmished etc, you could shift click attack all of one unit, etc etc etc. and never really had the problem of the "army" getting confused from adding units to the control group (which acted like armies), ofc in RoN you also had a entire Civilization game to focus on as well as the RTS parts.

Just curious, I wish more games took the micro away so you could focus on the macro, but I'm not sure from the sounds of it that this is the best system either...

"Starcrat" sounds like an alternate name for a space 4x. :)

It's a position; one becomes a Starcrat in the Starocracy.

(I fixed it.)

So here's a weird thing: this episode just showed up in my feed as episode 263 of Idle Thumbs. I mean, as part of my Idle Thumbs subscription and not as my 3MA subscription. Has that happened to anyone else?

Can't say anything about the episode as I haven't listened yet, but I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the game since I'm interested in it. I just, uh, guess I expected to hear those thoughts via my 3MA subscription.

There was a slight hiccup with the podcast posting (I messed it up), so for a brief and shining moment this was in the Idle Thumbs feed. It was quickly fixed.

In my defense, I've had a sick 1-year old to tend to for several days so I'm clearly off my game a bit.

While RoN had the units take formations, there really wasnt any automated behavior. There wasn't skirmishing- the cavalry lined up. Unless you put them in braindead mode they will break formation fast.

There was a slight hiccup with the podcast posting (I messed it up), so for a brief and shining moment this was in the Idle Thumbs feed. It was quickly fixed.

In my defense, I've had a sick 1-year old to tend to for several days so I'm clearly off my game a bit.

Well hey, it made me listen to an episode of 3MA I probably would've missed otherwise (I like 3MA, but I only tend to check in when they're discussing a game I'm fairly invested in), so I think you can consider it a service rendered :)

Good episode, too.

Good episode! This episode just made me remember Sorcerer King, the other recent Stardock game no one has seemed to talk about. Has TMA talked about that one at all?

Small request: would you please list the panel members in every episode description? I refer to it when listening sometimes.

Small request: would you please list the panel members in every episode description? I refer to it when listening sometimes.

That sounds like a lovely idea!

Also, how does this game compare to Sins of a Solar Empire?  Obviously, they are fairly completely different games.  Space vs. Ground and RTS vs. Pseudo 4X -- but how does the control compare?  I feel like the control of Sins often goes overlooked (as does the game itself possibly) but it really was well done.  They both had a huge scale and, it seems, similar pacing.  Is that where the similarities end?  Just curious.

Also, also, amazing episode!  Great work -- and -- Mr. Hermes best of luck with sick kiddo!