brendonsmall

[Released] Cruisin' for a Word that Rhymes With Cruisin'

I love love love that this pretty full-featured 3D driving game is literally what the nonsensical episode title describes.

+ Great audio and use of Thumbs voice samples.

Hey thanks, atte! :) I had SO much fun making this.

I am so excited to play this once I've had some sleep. You've done a really great job here.

Yay, glad to hear it! Thanks :) Spoiler: It's REALLY REALLY FUN to play*

I hope you've got an XBox controller, as it's most fun with that analog joystick as the steering control.

*according to me

FYI y'all, I've dropped a hotfixed v1.1 on the itchio page. v1.1 has the following fixes:

FIXED - When in Just Cruisin' mode, you still get time bonus!
FIXED - Sometimes jump length display sticks until next jump
FIXED - Taxi stand sign typo (read "Somehwat" instead of "Somewhat")
FIXED - sometimes game menu or game over sounds were really high pitched
FIXED - A few or the Baysien ramps had disorienting camera angles
ADDED - Ghost Cabs for easier re-orientation during a car reset

Ghost Cab shows you not only where you were when you reset, but how your poor taxi died (e.g. if you spun out and flipped, your ghost is also upside down, twirling and fading into the heavens with a sweet transparent Ghost Taxi material). It's mostly there as a further re-orientation reference so as to not confuse the player when the reset after a wipe out. :)

Taking a break for real now (and by taking a break I mean I am going to keep playing this game because I love it dearly) 

Maaaaan this looks good. I'll start digging into all these Wizard Jam games tonight after work, starting with this one. :)

Maaaaan this looks good. I'll start digging into all these Wizard Jam games tonight after work, starting with this one. :)

Excellent, I hope you like it! Either way, I am interested in your thoughts. I hope it's fun!

Also, just posted a quick hotfix #2 (There was an unobtainable Word Book, which made Time Attack unbeatable. Now fixed in v1.2)

HusZvbM.jpg

Game on, people! This is the score to beat in Time Attack mode. It's 20 words long and takes a while. Maybe I should add a "quick cruise" mode that is just 1 or 2 random words long :)

Woohooo! Eventually managed to reverse off the roof but I thought I was gonna be stuck like this forever. Cool game!

ueE1MGT.png

Welp, not gonna beat brendon's highscore, but I got 28987 in the Time Attack.

Awesome game. Love the slidey handbrake turns and the cinematic slow-mo cam on the jumps. :)

I played it with a Dualshock 4 btw, still worked fine, tho the buttons were in different places than on a 360.

Woohooo! Eventually managed to reverse off the roof but I thought I was gonna be stuck like this forever. Cool game!

ueE1MGT.png

Hah, wow nice jump! You can also lean on that reset button (press R). The "bottom out detector" was giving me some buggy trouble late in the game, and this is the exact scenario it was supposed to detect. Looks like I've got a backlog item :)

Welp, not gonna beat brendon's highscore, but I got 28987 in the Time Attack.

Awesome game. Love the slidey handbrake turns and the cinematic slow-mo cam on the jumps. :)

I played it with a Dualshock 4 btw, still worked fine, tho the buttons were in different places than on a 360.

Impressive score! I think I should add a timer to Time Attack too, to embrace some speed running competition!

Thanks for playing, I'm glad you liked it :)

Nice to know the dual shock works as well, thanks for letting me know.

FYI eRonin, I've updated to v1.2.1 to add a reset button to the XBox controller config and help screens (back button).

Yeah, this was loads of sandboxy fun! Driving over ramps and up walls feels great because of the ridiculous floaty physics, and I really like all of the Idle Thumbs references in the audio and scattered across the various buildings. Amazing work for two weeks!

I don't know if you were aware of this, but a Romanian YouTuber did a Let's Play of Cruisin': For Somethin'. She seems to enjoy it!

The level of polish in the systems of this game is crazy good!

This is the most fun I've had playing a game jam game yet. Those quarter pipe walls are so insanely fun.

Thanks! :)

Yeah, this was loads of sandboxy fun! Driving over ramps and up walls feels great because of the ridiculous floaty physics, and I really like all of the Idle Thumbs references in the audio and scattered across the various buildings. Amazing work for two weeks!

Thanks! :)

I don't know if you were aware of this, but a Romanian YouTuber did a Let's Play of Cruisin': For Somethin'. She seems to enjoy it!

Woah, that is so cool! I've never really had other people play my games to such length, let alone from different parts of the world. Neat! :)

My boss saw me playing this on my lunch break and took over until ten minutes after the break was over. I had time to play an awesome game, eat lunch AND check twitter thanks to you!

My boss saw me playing this on my lunch break and took over until ten minutes after the break was over. I had time to play an awesome game, eat lunch AND check twitter thanks to you!

Haha, this is great! :) I'm glad you liked it (and your boss too, presumably:))

This is great! Simple addictive mechanic and funny concept, lots of detail and nice touches. Love all the in-jokes and audio clips! I had a bit of trouble pulling off the handbrake turns, though - it seems to kill your momentum dead so you can't Tokyo Drift...

This is great! Simple addictive mechanic and funny concept, lots of detail and nice touches. Love all the in-jokes and audio clips! I had a bit of trouble pulling off the handbrake turns, though - it seems to kill your momentum dead so you can't Tokyo Drift...

Thanks for playing! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I really had a hard time balancing the "realism" and "arcade feels" in the driving. I added some brake assistance for foot and hand brake turns, but didn't leave enough time to really tweak them. It basically fudges the turning torque on the car physics if you're moving a certain speed, turning a certain amount, and apply the handbrake. It'll kind of whip the car around under the right conditions (or at least was meant to! haha)