Sign in to follow this  
Badfinger

DOOM

I saw some games journo tweet that they weren't worried about the lack of advance copies as Bethesda did the same with Wolfenstein and some other releases...

I've upgraded to the latest nVidia drivers and I'm having a pile of problems since. :( Constant frame rate drops which sometimes require a restart, other times they just go away and now it's crashing a lot. Bah.

Has anyone checked out SnapMap yet? There's some really interesting stuff in there. On top of tutorials, the way they teach you about the tools is through puzzles where you can only edit certain objects and have to meet a specific condition. The maps also seem pretty elaborate, there's a Little Big Planet feel to the things people are making.

There's a great video from polygon where it looks like the person playing it has never touched an FPS game before. Quite amusing.

And don't the gamergate suppporters love the shit out of that video.

To me it looks like the person has never played FPS with a controller. Which is a crime against game culture anyways and shouldn't be done under any circumstances whatsoever. :P

Yeah, watching it just makes me flash back to the first (and only) time I played Goldeneye on the N64 around a friends'. I was moderately good at competitive FPS at the time, on PCs with a mouse and a keyboard ... I don't think I ever managed to get my muscle memory to work with the dual-stick controller setup, and spent most of the time being painfully unable to aim in any direction without explicit conscious thought and painstaking effort.

So, I actually have a lot of sympathy for the person playing in that video [although you do wonder why they put it up, given that they're obviously out of their comfort zone...]

(I've never really been confident with controllers for anything other than scrolling shooters or fighting games, though, and I still don't use them enough to actually have any kind of useful muscle memory with them.)

^^ You can be forgiven for Goldeneye. It was revolutionary, but it wasn't actually a good control scheme. It's warped your brain so much you've forgotten it was only ONE analog stick and a d-pad.

The shit Polygon got was horrid. Who cares who plays games or how good you are. We all know game journalists are really bad at games, except when they're really good at games. With that said, I think it was a bad video. I don't think websites have a duty to show a game in its best light, but I do think they should strive to be representative of a typical game experience.

Has anyone checked out SnapMap yet? There's some really interesting stuff in there. On top of tutorials, the way they teach you about the tools is through puzzles where you can only edit certain objects and have to meet a specific condition. The maps also seem pretty elaborate, there's a Little Big Planet feel to the things people are making.

Yes. It's a cool feature but somewhat limited. The tutorial seems very cool. There's scripting, but it isn't (and can't be because it's idtech) a truly moddable environment and not a complete level editor.

With that said, I'm starting to see some neat stuff pop up on there that isn't made by the snapmap people themselves.

Play Harvest Doom, it's fun.

I said this looked really drab, but it sure doesn't when moving. The Giant Bomb quick look sold me on this being an excellent Doom game, although I don't really have any need for a Doom game.

I played around a bit with Snapmap (snapmap!) last night. It seems okay, but it is a bit limited. You can only use the preset rooms, which means that if your layout needs say a large room with three exits arranged in a certain way there's nothing you can do except rearrange everything you've made up until that point. It's only a few minutes work, granted, but it's frustrating that you know what you want to put in place but can't. I suppose I feel this way because I have some experience making maps for TF2, which uses a proper full feature level editor.

I'm just hoping that Snapmap (snapmap!) doesn't stop id from releasing a proper set of mod tools including a level editor and the ability to add custom content. Part of the legacy of Doom is in user created maps and mods, and I feel that would give the game a lot more legs than the multiplayer.

I caved and bought DOOM over the weekend without seeing a single bit of video for it (beyond some random multiplayer which I have no interest in).  I was convinced entirely by word of mouth and I'm amazed at how true it all is.  This game has finally solved a problem I've been having since playing the first Halo: melee combat in an FPS.  I've always disliked melee combat in shooters because it felt so unnatural to me but DOOM encourages it in a clever way.  It's extremely fun to pinball between enemies as you pop them open and gather up the goodies inside.  I also really like the weapon mod system.  It adds that tactical element that I love but does it without cumbersome menus or pausing that breaks the flow of combat.  There's nothing like using a shotgun grenade to take out a small group then switching to the rapid fire mod to quickly put down a large enemy as he's charging toward you, all in real time.

I played a bunch of this (with a controller) yesterday at a friend's house. It's really good. I wanna get it, but I'm not sure if I want to drop the $60 on it. From what I've heard, they really banked on the multiplayer, and with Overwatch coming out that stuff just doesn't matter to me at all. Will probably keep this in my wish list until it goes on sale. In the meanwhile, re-downloading Wolfenstein again because I never beat it.

Also caved, the buzz and chatter has been overwhelming!

Was totally prepared to trigger a Steam refund since my computer is getting long in the tooth, but by god it scales magnificently... I'm just above min spec and it's still managing to look gorgeous with the settings turned down a hair.

Really liking just about everything about the campaign so far, but it's triggering the heck out of my collectivitis; Spending way more time combing for secrets than killing demons, heh.

I picked up Doom on the good word of mouth it was receiving, and - wow - I was delighted and surprised by what I got.

In my mind, I was expecting a big fast corridor shooter. Throw in some guns, some monsters, some level design loops, and there ya go -- a fun old-school FPS romp.

What I ended up getting -- and what I wasn't expecting at all -- was a single-player arena shooter. You're thrown into a combat zone, all the doors shut, and I almost expect to hear an announcer announce "round 1, fight." The one thing it most reminded me most was Quake 1 deathmatch. Wild player speed + a shocking amount of verticality + "gamey" powerups/pickups + always, always, always moving. What I associate with Quake is how its speed was always cranked to 11 -- way too fast for your brain to really parse what's happening, so your hands just go to this instinctual auto-pilot zen zone. I guess "flow state" is what some people call it, and Doom 2016 completely laser-focused on that for me.

Is this game crashing a lot for anyone else on PC?  I'm finding it to be fairly inconsistent but on average about once a level the game will just suddenly close.  It's particularly annoying when I've spent time combing the level for the collectables only to lose them in an instant.

Yeah it crashes a lot for me and sometimes the frame rate tanks and the only solution is to restart the game. From a technical stand point as good as it looks I'm not impressed with how well it actually works.

A nice hidden surprise in the soundtrack:

Is this game crashing a lot for anyone else on PC?  I'm finding it to be fairly inconsistent but on average about once a level the game will just suddenly close.  It's particularly annoying when I've spent time combing the level for the collectables only to lose them in an instant.

What kind of crash are you experiencing?  Does the game just close without any error message?  If so, I would try two things, 1. deleting Nvidia experience if you are Nvidia user and has that and 2. turn off cloud sync for Doom.

A nice hidden surprise in the soundtrack:

[the devil's work]

Mick Gordon did an excellent job on the soundtrack.

There are some neat little videos on his youtube channel about his work on the game.

GameStop lowered the price to $40, which I found surprising. With my credits it was only $5

The demo is downloadable as a timed release apparently. Only during the week of E3. I got it yesterday and I'm planning to test it on my PC tomorrow.

It seems to include the first level from the SP campaign.

Mick Gordon did an excellent job on the soundtrack.

There are some neat little videos on his youtube channel about his work on the game.

Holy shit that's a fun soundtrack. Looks like I've found a new training play list. Super interesting videos too.

I agree those videos were awesome I've watched them a few times now and I'm not even a metal head.

Mick Gordon also did the soundtrack for the recent Wolfenstein games and is doing the music for Arkane's Prey. He seems to have a good relationship with Bethesda so he might pop up in Quake too?