Sorbicol

Civilisation 6

The RPS write-up made this sound really interesting. I'm kind of burned on Firaxis after Beyond Earth.

The RPS write-up made this sound really interesting. I'm kind of burned on Firaxis after Beyond Earth.

Did you not play Xcom ?

No, I didn't get XCOM 2. I didn't have the time or money when it came out. Anyway, when Beyond Earth came out I thought Firaxis could do no wrong, but after it I have to wait for reviews. 

I hope they fix the AI ability to fight over water...  You want to win a CIV 5 game on deity; play an island map with a strong sea nation.

This game is coming out soon! Has anybody else been following it? I've been watching a bunch of let's plays of the preview build and it seems really, really good. I love what they've done with the unstacked cities and the split tech tree.

I've been having fun playing Civiliation: Beyond Earth. I think I'm into the idea of buying these a year late from now on.

Very much so. So far I've resisted pre-ordering. But it's been a close run thing. Most Civ releases benefit from a patch or two in any case. It does look really good though.

I've been salivating over any media I can get my hands on.

I'm fully bought in to the hype, but on a less emotional level I think it's wise for people to hold off and take a wait and see approach. Stronger than me, though.

My prediction is that anyone who was disappointed in vanilla Civ 5 (which seems like either a majority, or a loud minority) will be at least a little bit cool on Civ 6 at launch. Also anyone whose primary concern is opponent AI. The question is, to what degree.

But the audience for these games is so broad now that even if the two groups above reject it, it will still find a sizable audience to satisfy.

I was really disappointed by Civ5. Until then I bought them all at release since Civ2.

Honestly, every Civ game since Civilization 2 has had a rough launch. Civilization 3 was nearly unplayable and Civilization V was just a bad game before patches and expansions. Civilization 4 got close, but it launched with an AI that couldn't really keep up, so I'm happy in waiting. Worse comes to worst, I get the pleasant surprise that Civilization 6 is playable six months earlier than its predecessors.

I obviously haven't played it myself, but Civ 6 looks way more fully featured than vanilla Civ V. The only big system that isn't coming over from Brave New World is the World Congress: Trade Routes, Tourism and Religion are all there.

My prediction is that anyone who was disappointed in vanilla Civ 5 (which seems like either a majority, or a loud minority) will be at least a little bit cool on Civ 6 at launch. Also anyone whose primary concern is opponent AI. The question is, to what degree.

But the audience for these games is so broad now that even if the two groups above reject it, it will still find a sizable audience to satisfy.

I really wish more developers prioritized AI. That's why I liked Stardock so much, the head guy was an AI programmer so he thought about those things. Shame about Brad Wardell's politics and the general pile of crap that GalCiv 3 ended up being.

Umm... Isn't Brad Wardell the head guy?

Yes, and he wrote great blog posts back in the GalCiv 2 days about AI design and such.

Yes, and he wrote great blog posts back in the GalCiv 2 days about AI design and such.

That's my recollection as well. I haven't followed GalCiv 3 development. Have the policies changed?

It's combo of Wardel's GamerGate leanings, and the abundance of expensive DLC that adds basic functionality to GalCiv3 that was present by default in GalCiv2. They've had several less-than-successful products since GalCiv2, so it feels like they might be under the gun to make profit this time around.

Honestly, I haven't seen anything one way or the other about the AI itself.

I did the classic thing and was up until 3 AM last night playing Civ 6. I like it a lot so far. I'll try to post some coherent thoughts about it when I complete a campaign.

The hunt for exploits I can use to beat my girlfriend in LAN multiplayer has begun. Share yours.

You can sell workers for full gold even if they have used build charges

You can chop down shit outside your city borders to get production boost

Scythia, Aztecs and Sumeria are completely broken

I'm still in the exploratory phase of playing this Civ game. By which I mean: I'm happily playing on Prince difficulty, realizing I've made blatant mistakes 2 or 3 turns after I've made them, but keeping good pace anyway. By the time I want to start challenging myself, I hope most of the cheesy exploits are patched out. High difficulty-level Civ (and multiplayer, I assume) always involves capitalizing on every little mechanical efficiency and exploit, but some of these go way beyond "little".

Anyway, the game definitely has the same psychic attraction as the series always had with me. I suspect I'll be spending much of my work week thinking about coming home to play more of it. But of course, I'm still several thousand turns away from being able to measure it up against its predecessors in any meaningful way.

Yeah I hope they patch out the worker exploits. I definitely feel like that shouldn't be in the game...

Speaking of patches, I don't know what changes they made but all of a sudden this game freezes at launch for me.

7 minutes ago, sclpls said:

Speaking of patches, I don't know what changes they made but all of a sudden this game freezes at launch for me.

It does that if I tab out of it, or click on my second screen. 

Also I timed the first load of a new game yesterday. 3 minutes and 20 seconds, from SSD. Pretty sure it can load the entire game into memory in that time. What is it doing.