Sorbicol

Civilisation 6

Nearly everything I want to play comes out this year. All the other years can go home now.

I am stoked that Ed Beach is leading the effort for this game. I have full faith in his abilities as a designer.

He was the lead for the Gods & Kings Civ 5 expansion, and was also heavily involved with the 2nd expansion. More importantly though, he designed the excellent Here I Stand board game that brilliantly captures the political struggles taking place in Europe during the Protestant Reformation.

How do y'all feel about the graphics/art direction? It seems to be controversial to say the least.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the cartoony, ridiculous saturation.While ultimately mechanics matter most to me, graphics absolutely set the tone for the game I'm playing and having graphics like this in something like civ feels... disjointed to me to say the least.

I'm really not a fan of the art. I don't mind the saturated colors, it's more the proportions of the characters and buildings that bother me. I understand that they're going for readability, which is awesome, but I think this feels a bit too cartoony. It reminds me of a mobile city builder. I bet it looks better in motion, though.

I recently played Civ V again, despite saying I was done with it. I was playing the whole time thinking "this is dumb, I don't like this" but sunk 2 hours into it without noticing. 

It's really difficult for me understand why I don't like it. I just feel like all I'm doing is clicking make this thing, research that thing, oh someone's attacking me? Make this different thing to defend. 

There's no intrigue, no pitting two factions against each other without committing myself to a defensive pact. Even if I am dragged into the war to help a partner, there's no real punishment to just not helping.

Then there's the fact that if you build military units, you fall behind in tech. It's obviously a balance thing, but in reality military funding often leads to better tech. 

Yet clicking through the turns is weirdly satisfying. I just wish Crusader Kings 2 was as accessible as civ for babies like me.

How do y'all feel about the graphics/art direction? It seems to be controversial to say the least.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the cartoony, ridiculous saturation.While ultimately mechanics matter most to me, graphics absolutely set the tone for the game I'm playing and having graphics like this in something like civ feels... disjointed to me to say the least.

It reminds me of Civ Rev, which I liked a lot.

I feel like we're hearing the same arguments about the graphics (off two screenshots, mind you) as we did about Wind Waker... at least that's the tone I'm reading on all the reddit posts about it.

Not to mention that if 6 is as mod-able as 5, then there's going to be shaders and texture mods that can be applied, right?

I'm more interested in seeing the UI than the graphics, which I agree remind me of Civ Rev

Agreed. I think one of the best UI mods isn't even on steam at the moment, but that's probably far more integral to the civ experience than any of this graphics discussion is.  

Yeah, it does look like Civ V, however, the mountains, plains look better, the river that appear in the screenshot still much like in Civ 5. However, the trees do stand out, they keep me reminding of Warcraft III for some reason.  I liked the colorful tone. But as other said, I am curious to see how the UI and Leader will look like.

There's definitely a bit of a Warcraft 3 vibe going on in some of those screenshots. Since the best games ever are derived from Warcraft 3, this is clearly a good thing!

There's definitely a bit of a Warcraft 3 vibe going on in some of those screenshots. Since the best games ever are derived from Warcraft 3, this is clearly a good thing!

lol

Yeah, it does look like Civ V, however, the mountains, plains look better, the river that appear in the screenshot still much like in Civ 5. However, the trees do stand out, they keep me reminding of Warcraft III for some reason.  I liked the colorful tone. But as other said, I am curious to see how the UI and Leader will look like.

I'm hoping for cIV style leaders cause those were WAY more charming and fun than CiV's. 

I recently played Civ V again, despite saying I was done with it. I was playing the whole time thinking "this is dumb, I don't like this" but sunk 2 hours into it without noticing.

It's really difficult for me understand why I don't like it. I just feel like all I'm doing is clicking make this thing, research that thing, oh someone's attacking me? Make this different thing to defend.

There's no intrigue, no pitting two factions against each other without committing myself to a defensive pact. Even if I am dragged into the war to help a partner, there's no real punishment to just not helping.

Then there's the fact that if you build military units, you fall behind in tech. It's obviously a balance thing, but in reality military funding often leads to better tech.

Yet clicking through the turns is weirdly satisfying. I just wish Crusader Kings 2 was as accessible as civ for babies like me.

Im curious, is this something unique to Civ V or do have the same view for other games? Did you like Civ IV better?

Interesting but the graphics do seem to detract from the game. Very WoW-like and cartoony.

It makes me fear that Civ VI is being developed primarily with mobile devices in mind.

It makes me fear that Civ VI is being developed primarily with mobile devices in mind.

This was my fear as soon as I saw it. I hope it's just a weird and unexpected art direction. 

I know some people have liked it/compared it to CivRev... I personally thought CivRev was horridly ugly as well. It's not a good thing to me, I think, and at least a portion of the playerbase.

All that said, if the gameplay is good and at least somewhat fresh... I can download a couple of shader mods no problem. :)

Here is a brief description of how United States will be in Civ 6 - the leader will be Roosevelt

http://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/civ-6-america-units

The leader graphic appear slight more cartoony, but not too much, however is hard to tell, without seeing the animations.

Here is another article, this one have a video with gameplay:

http://www.pcgamer.com/new-looks-and-classic-gameplay-60-turns-of-civilization-6/

Here is a brief description of how United States will be in Civ 6 - the leader will be Roosevelt

http://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/civ-6-america-units

The leader graphic appear slight more cartoony, but not too much, however is hard to tell, without seeing the animations.

Here is another article, this one have a video with gameplay:

http://www.pcgamer.com/new-looks-and-classic-gameplay-60-turns-of-civilization-6/

I wonder if they will try to balance the time spent in different eras more. I feel like there were large parts of the unit roster I never really used because you would burn through it so fast. As a result I never used many special units because they don't exist in the end game.

Also does anyone leave ingame music on in grad strategy games? I usually disable it right away so I can listen to my own, less annoying stuff.

I usually leave the music on in these games, I find it's generally relaxing and goes well with the game play.

I'm really liking the art style of this new Civ and everything I'm hearing about the game play changes so far has me very interested.

I wonder if they will try to balance the time spent in different eras more. I feel like there were large parts of the unit roster I never really used because you would burn through it so fast. As a result I never used many special units because they don't exist in the end game.

Also does anyone leave ingame music on in grad strategy games? I usually disable it right away so I can listen to my own, less annoying stuff.

I leave the music in the first days or sessions playing, but specially on civ I often turn off to listen to podcast while playing.

That is a good question, because given the way often you need to play civ where you can´t afford to stay too much in same era or you might fall behind everyone (specially, since civ does not have much ways for you to catch up once you are behind), so yeah, often you will never use much your early stuff.

There is a new interview - http://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/civilization-6s-new-world-order-hes-always-a-dick-but-now-he-might-be-a-dick-somewhere-else

They explain a little better about those hidden agendas - from what I could get, each civ might have a couple of them, which are triggered by your actions (or what is going on around them), some might be historical while other not.

Also wonders might be tied to specific hexes, such you can only build Pyramid in desert hexes.