Jake

[Dev Log] Build The Nublar

Nice nice nice! It's cool that you're using Playmaker for all of this. Back when I used Unity, Playmaker was a total lifesaver.

I love those tessellated cats.

Yeah pretty classic. It's one of the stock wallpapers from Mac System 7.5!

I always associate tessellations with Macs not just because of the wallpapers but because the Macs at my grade school had a program called Tesselmania which, as a 7 year old who loved MC Escher, was seriously the first thing I ever did on a computer that felt like magic.

That interface is screen perfect, hot damn. So glad you guys joined the fun. May the best nublar win.

Integrating the game with Olly's set. This is going to look absolutely insane. The jeep is coming unattached from the UI scene and drawing at a gigantic size somewhere off in the distance, but once that's fixed the whole thing should more or less be working together.

(Then to fix all the bugs and broken features :\ )

post-5966-0-08200200-1463991525_thumb.jp

Okay what's done is now working inside Olly's level.

Long video version:https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4g1hroj5nzgvko/NublarInWorldTest1.mp4?dl=0

I was really really lazy with how the scene pulls raycast info from the reticule (read: I did nothing -- it's just the default unity first person controller and the default unity in world UI Canvas Raycaster) it all worked well at first in my test scenesbut in practice this seems to have the shitty side effect of only being accurate at certain screen resolutions. Something else I'll have to look into this week I guess :(

But yeah check out that video. It cracks me up.

Lame quick gif:

sO9UsfT.gif

This looks great! The mechanics look like a lot of fun, and it's thematically perfect. And it probably goes without saying, but holy shit Olly's background scene is stunning.

Looking forward to playing it!

This looks great! The mechanics look like a lot of fun, and it's thematically perfect. And it probably goes without saying, but holy shit Olly's background scene is stunning.

Looking forward to playing it!

Thanks! :)

It's coming in hot and pretty unfinished (though I've learned a TON!). I hope to flesh it out more this week.

This is already the best. First prediction: Campo Santo makes a deal with whoever owns the Jurassic Park license and makes official game. :eyebrow:  Second prediction: A fully 3D scanned Jeff Goldblum makes cameo in said game but voice is only stiched together by audio clippings from previous performances.

We're going to miss the Wizard Jam submission deadline by more than a few hours I think. I'm going to have to call it and go to sleep... but this will get released in the very near future.

We're going to miss the Wizard Jam submission deadline by more than a few hours I think. I'm going to have to call it and go to sleep... but this will get released in the very near future.

At the end of the day it's the game that matters, I'm definitely going to keep working on mine. :)

Yeah, at the end of the day it's not a competition. Just work on it until you're satisfied with the result.

Just work on it until you're satisfied with the result.

"Firewatch developer Campo Santo announces next project: Build The Nublar"

That looks incredible. I am such a fan of good scoping in jams, and I think that scope of this is just perfect!

Plus Olly's droolworthy art! I was hoping for a sun-drenched Goldblum resting on a gurney in the background.

The scope of this is so perfect that its not done a week later........ It could have gotten done but I didn't give it the time it deserved. Fortunately I have learned approximately an infinite amount of new stuff on this project.

The scope of this is so perfect that its not done a week later........ It could have gotten done but I didn't give it the time it deserved. Fortunately I have learned approximately an infinite amount of new stuff on this project.

I think that is totally fine though. Pick a goal that is doable, learn something new, that's all I want from jams. :)