coughlinjon

[RELEASE] The Eyes of Luigi

Hmm, I seem to be stuck. I've found Mario's Key, not sure where I found it but it's in my inventory. Anyway, when I equip it and click on the door it just plays the same handle-sound as it plays when I have anything else equipped and click on it. I can't get out of the room!

I was trying to figure out the inventory system, but soon got assaulted by Too Many Ghosts. I'll try again later. I love the vibe of it.

Hmm, I seem to be stuck. I've found Mario's Key, not sure where I found it but it's in my inventory. Anyway, when I equip it and click on the door it just plays the same handle-sound as it plays when I have anything else equipped and click on it. I can't get out of the room!

I hastily added an Application.Quit line a minute before submission and it seems not to have worked. I'll be pushing builds that fix some of those ending bugs in the next couple days. I'm really pleased you were able to get that far and intuit how the exiting is supposed to work, though! for now, you can Alt+F4 unless you'd like to browse the items in the room more ;)

I was trying to figure out the inventory system, but soon got assaulted by Too Many Ghosts. I'll try again later. I love the vibe of it.

haha - pro tip: the ghosts will go back to sleep when the room light is back ON ;) 

This game is hilarious and weird and I love it. The sound and VO work is so funny :) Also nice use of that song. Catchy and well matched to the game.  :)

That is really flattering; thank you! It's definitely a weird thing that is almost entirely targeted at Idle Thumbs listeners.

Heyo! I just pushed a new build:

* restricts the screen to 5:4 (which still doesn't totally hide Luigi's arms, but comes close enough

* Includes Mac version

* Ghosts spawn in random locations (like behind you)

* Application quits when you unlock the door

I laughed when I started listening to the tape, and then I laughed really hard when I read the dialog on the bed while listening to the tape. The ghost legitimately creeped me out.

Fantastic work!

Okay, I beat it this time. So it's pretty much "escape the room" starring Luigi. Mario gets way way too much fan mail. I like the idea of Tall Mario. You should make him the real antagonist.

I really enjoyed this; Luigi's monologues and voiceover, and his singing, are what make it for me. And man, those Boos creep me out!

Thanks for the comments, everyone, and thanks for playing!

FYI, I've uploaded a new build (probably the final major one) with a legitimate credits and thank you section complete with Lord Fluffington's High Court by Akidu :)

Now when you exit the room the game will wrap itself up like a real game ought to :)

THIS GAME IS HILARIOUS. The best. Very nice work everybody on team Eyes of Luigi.

THIS GAME IS HILARIOUS. The best. Very nice work everybody on team Eyes of Luigi.

So glad you enjoyed it!

I've had the hotline bling eshop remix stuck in my head all day. Thanks.

Try two straight weeks

Also, I've gotten a lot of feedback that the key seems to pop up in the inventory without players perceiving it's acquisition. I need to lower the transparency of the ghosts who carry the key to make it more visible :)

Very nice game!

Also, I've gotten a lot of feedback that the key seems to pop up in the inventory without players perceiving it's acquisition. I need to lower the transparency of the ghosts who carry the key to make it more visible :)

I managed to spot a red M for a split second amongst the crowded mass of ghosts a couple of times before I eventually sucked it up, but I'd agree that I didn't realise when it happened. Also, my initially interpretation of what it represented was a little more morbid- that Mario had died and become a ghost.

Itchio Game page

This was hilarious, especially the voice-acting - I cracked up when

Luigi starts singing along badly and also at the credits

. Also looked really nice and the ghosts were fucking terrifying. The inventory system felt a little weird - I was never sure if I was missing out on stuff because I had things equipped or if I was clicking on the wrong button. 

Too good, great writing, great mixtape. Good work getting the community involved.

Thanks, again, to everyone for the kind reviews :)

Spenny streamed the game last night and ended it in a way I didn't know possible. He laughed at all the parts I hoped a player might! I added a fix first thing this morning to make sure future suicidal Luigis still see the credits roll; here's the gif to prove it:

post-35123-0-48891300-1464703056_thumb.gif

I added a fix first thing this morning to make sure future suicidal Luigis still see the credits roll; here's the gif to prove it:

lol, and now I'm kind of worried that nobody is going to find the key to open the door anymore - poor Luigi, what have I done?

Ahaha, that's one way to fix it I guess! How do you even get up there? By jumping on the shelf?

Ahaha, that's one way to fix it I guess! How do you even get up there? By jumping on the shelf?

yep, he did it by jumping on the shelves. they're very thin, and when I created them I didn't think about the fact that they have colliders by default. If I had added a ceiling like I originally planned it would never have been possible, but I kind of like that it is right now :) 

Great walking sim, but it's a shame I suck at adventure games. :wacko:  I had fun looking at what was there, but I didn't manage to figure out how to open the letter or the present. Someone in chat was suggesting I take the tape but I couldn't manage to do that either so I'm sure I was missing something obvious. The moment with the boos was perfect. I knew they were in the game, but it didn't occur to me in that moment. Sorry I didn't give your game a full real test, but we had fun with what we found.

If you want to see the stream of me playing the game, it's here, and all the games are timecoded in the description:

Great walking sim, but it's a shame I suck at adventure games. :wacko:  I had fun looking at what was there, but I didn't manage to figure out how to open the letter or the present. Someone in chat was suggesting I take the tape but I couldn't manage to do that either so I'm sure I was missing something obvious. The moment with the boos was perfect. I knew they were in the game, but it didn't occur to me in that moment. Sorry I didn't give your game a full real test, but we had fun with what we found.

If you want to see the stream of me playing the game, it's here, and all the games are timecoded in the description:

I just watched your stream; thanks for playing! lol, the items are inventories themselves, so when you pull up the letter or the gift inventory you can keep scrolling through them to access the items within. That's how you find the cassette tape and how you find the vacuum to get the ghosts. When you want to keep an item, if allowed, you can click the "Keep Item" button and it'll store in Luigi's personal inventory. It's definitely not clear enough, and the buttons in the UI even overlap a bit so on occasion you'll scroll the wrong direction through the items. I'd change all that if I were making it more than a jam game, but unfortunately the interface I published was all I had time for ;)

Thanks for the kind comments :) It's really fun to watch people play your game and laugh a little!

Hey! I'm late but I would just like to say how much I enjoy everything in this game (especially the VO work!).

Hey! I'm late but I would just like to say how much I enjoy everything in this game (especially the VO work!).

Thank you for the kind comments :) It's fun to know that somebody has found the game this long after the jam.