ahuttoftea

[Release] Now You're Let's Playing With Power

Hey so I've been listening to the Podcast for about six months now and when it was announced that a new Wizard Jam was coming up I decided to rope someone who can program into making a game with me. That would be my friend Lewis (username: Lewcart) who will also post in this thread. Another friend of ours, who I don't think has a forum account is going to help us with some art assets.

Title: Now You're Let's Playing With Power

Genre: First Person Shooterish?

Platform: THE VIVE (because we don't actually want anyone to play the game)

Description: You play as a valiant Let's Player attempting to make his way through a series of classic Dintendo ("The Big D") games remade for virtual reality. Each mini game is, essentially, a mini first person shooter with aesthetic nods and gameplay references to classic Nintendo games.

Your guide in this world is the handy JOB the JOBOT, who guides you from level to level with a bedside manner that can only be described as GLaDOS-esque. Will the AI's wit be a match for you, the Let's Player, and your engaging and definitely not scripted content?

The four mini-games featured within Now You're Let's Playing With Power are:

• Shot The Duck Up (Duck Hunt)
  • The Maria Sisters (Mario Bros)
  • Mootroid (Metroids)
  • The Legendary Zoldo (Legend of Zelda)

The idea we are hopefully going for is that actions in the game will trigger commentary by our 'Lets Player' who will provide amusing quips about what's going on at the time. We'll see how that goes.

Update 21/5/16:

It's complete!

Hey all! So we (by which I mostly mean our wonderful programmer Lewcart) finished the game! We didn't get everything done (sadly the Let's Player's voiceover was not meant to be), but pretty much everything else made it through in some form or another.

The itch.io page can be found here.

And because we know most of you don't have a Vive, a gameplay video can be found

Man, you are making me both want to purchase some expensive equipment, and for us to do the WizVRd Jam. Hope it goes well!

So i've got kind of what the main area will look like going on. It's very Tron. We were trying to go for the 80s feel that the "Now your playing with power" ad gives off. I'm hoping I can figure out how to add some lightening into the mix.

On the table in the picture (forgive me, its tough getting a screenshot in the Vive when you are the only person in the room) is what will become game cartridges and a NES. You can put the cartridge in the NES to load a level (very simply done right now... we will see if I can have it ACTUALLY slot into the NES but lets not count on that...).

The duck hunt Shoot the Duck Up level is basically done sans art and sound. You'll have to shoot 10 birds that increase in speed with only 3 bullets per bird. Right now the higher speeds are basically impossible but i'll fix that. Maybe.

Now that one level is done it should be easier to set up the rest. Each level is just a variant of the same thing with a twist based on whichever game we are theming it after. Birds fly around you, but goombas come straight at you etc etc.

I'm hoping I can get all the level gameplay done so that I can focus on having ROB JOB and the Let's player's stuff scripted and neat. Plus, there is a (spoilers) boss battle to make...

post-35871-0-54841100-1462877470_thumb.png

Oh hello again! Thought i'd give an update, and videos are always nice.

things look a lot closer when you are playing :).

Heres the 'Shot the Duck Up' level mostly working. Still need to get a 3D model of the NES Zapper, and make the duck rotate to face the direction its going, but its close to done!

I'm currently adding pictures and sounds to the rest of the levels, and then i'll need to finalize the boss battle (as in currently it never ends) and get ROBs audio working nicely.

Hey all!  So we (by which I mostly mean our wonderful programmer Lewcart) finished the game!  We didn't get everything done (sadly the Let's Player's voiceover was not meant to be), but pretty much everything else made it through in some form or another.

The itch.io page can be found here

And because we know most of you don't have a Vive, a gameplay video can be found

Below are some photos:

post-35870-0-69635300-1463816060.png

post-35870-0-93156600-1463816062.png

post-35870-0-86359900-1463816066.png

post-35870-0-85163400-1463816064.png

This looks really good! I don't have a Vive, so I can't try it out, but I really like the visuals.

Well sad, I couldn't play as I do not have a Vive. Looked real cool.

I played it, really solidly made. I am a fan of the moving backgrounds, especially in the tron stage.

the final boss is actually pretty hard, took me a while to get the last gold dradle? reflected back at him.