ke51n

[Release] Zombie Train Beyond Earth Episode 1

Edit: Game is uploaded. There are bugs and sounds are not right. Will fix in next week probably. Let me know if you find any more bugs.

https://kevin888.itch.io/zombie-train-beyond-earth-episode-i

Edit 2: Bugs are fixed. Version 2.0.1 is out. (post jam)

Oddjumper's more 3 dimensional Zombie Train.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/10861-dev-log-zombie-train-beyond-earth/#entry403597

You wake up in a luggage room of a train. You see that the door is locked. You find a crowbar and smash the door open. You go to the next car and see some zombies. You smash them until they are dead. You move on. You see Nick Breckon.

A 2D adventure game inspired by The Walking Dead: The Game, the Blackwell series, and the Idle Thumbs podcast network.

Images and GIFs will be coming when I get a screen recorder thing.

So far I have two pixel zombies that you can smash with the crowbar.

GIF? post-35825-0-34735700-1462840850_thumb.gif

It might not be working. I don't know. Also sorry for the weird border.

Sounds like a zombie smashing good time. (Will the poor Nick Breckon be smashable?)

Can't tell you, it would be a spoiler.

That title screen is so evocative. Interested to see what this turns into.

Thou hast impressed the lord of title screens?!

(The quickest way to a 051's heart is through your title screen)

Is there a lore-bible? I'm curious about where the train has departed from, its final stop, and if there are any stops in between.

Write your own lore bible. I'm don't get paid enough to think of backstory.

Some working GIFs?

I have completed some of the most important animations and some of the systems, I'm working on building the story content soon. I may have over estimated my skills, but its ok, I can just make everything go dark and put a "Next time on Zombie Train Beyond Earth" at any time.

post-35825-0-71299600-1463020986.gif

post-35825-0-38111400-1463021004.gif

I love that some of the "most important animations" contain swinging a crowbar at a zombie and firing a shotgun.

The "Next time on Zombie Train Beyond Earth" title could be an interesting procedural diversifier. Perhaps based on a random number of zombies killed or a random region in the world entered.

I feel like that first, non-Nick sprite could be me with the correct amount of squint on.

It was supposed to be a girl, but it turned out more open to interpretation. Could be anyone. Probably is you.

Game update: Its done, more or less. Have a GIF. Also, go play the game if you want.

post-35825-0-93692700-1463948639_thumb.gif

Are you supposed to be able to walk past the zombies in the final car? I got them all bunched up on the door and then just walked under them. Then I opened the door and walked into space forever. It was a pretty cool ending.

Yeah, that's not the real ending. (It is cool though) That whole car is broken, I'm working on fixing it. The zombies don't aggro correctly, and it is too easy to get by them. I also will add a secret ending if you end up walking into space.

I plan to add a few more cars full of zombies and even more warnings to not go that way. But of course that will be the only way people will go.

This is really cool! The beginning is very cinematic and the animations feel really satisfying. I like how the music makes it seem like everyone is dancing. Or maybe they are.  B)

Updated finally.

- bug fixes

- sound effects

- art changes

- internalization meter

- extra ending

- heard a space monk named Jake is in it now

I experienced my own undeath in version 1.0.1. V2 was definitely a more complete experience. Great work all around.

This is really good! Great storytelling, humour, visuals and sound, all using minimal details. I'm just disappointed you can't

leave that Nick guy behind. Was hoping to Doug him

Thanks, except I feel like I had a lot of extra details. Max details probably. Like that one ticket on the ground that didn't do anything. And the suitcase that wouldn't open. Did you notice the suitcase? That took a while to get just right.

Sorry, I misphrased - I meant lots of small details. Like, you did a lot within the lo-fi trappings of the game. I loved

E is for Eaten for example - simply changing the usual prompt text a bit got a huge laugh out of me and also added to the tone.