Sign in to follow this  
Stack Smashing

[Release] I'll Kill The Last Alien

So all I have yet are the randomly chosen title and diversifier: I'll Kill The Last Alien with Tone Control: "The audio in your game is reactive and directly manipulated by the player’s inputs and actions."

No idea what to make of this though. We'll see.

The whole thing will be done in Phaser.

So here's my status after the first day:

status_1st_day.gif?dl=1

It might very well be obvious from this GIF that I still have no clue what exactly I'm trying to accomplish. (What might not be obvious is that the alien has a glorious 2-frame walking animation, and a long, ant-lion like tongue.)

The first thing I did was to install Tiled to generate the tile maps. And then I went down the rabbit hole that is sprite editors. I considered and installed most of them, but settled on the node-webkit version of Piskel in the end. It's nature as a packaged web app leads to some weirdness, but it does almost everything I want and does it pretty well actually. The only thing I'm missing is the ability to move selection contents. But maybe that's possible and I simply can't figure out how. Then it would simply be an intuitive interface that I'm missing.

And then I went down the rabbit hole that is sprite editors.

There are so many damn sprite editors. I can highly recommend Aseprite, but if you've found something that works for you that's the important part. Keep going, I want to see what ant-lion-tongue gets up to! :D

So I ended up having less time (and motivation) than I anticipated. But it was very important to me to at least get to a remotely playable state. Just as a prototype. And I did it! Most of the work was done the first and third day as well as today. So don't expect too much (anything). But get together with a friend, try to play it, and laugh at how clunky this thing is: https://jonasmerlin.itch.io/ill-kill-the-last-alien

Maybe I'll work on it some more in the future. Some of the ideas I had I actually would like to see and play. But for the moment, I'm mostly glad I finished something in time. (My first "game". :))

Thanks for organizing this jam btw. Even if I did end up doing so little, it was a lot of fun and all he projects being released are an inspiration. There is amazing talent and creativity on display in every one of them, it's really quite something. Especially for such a short period of time.

Hey! My partner and I had a go at this and it was a fun little ditty! Eventually my character did get stuck in a wall, but we had a laugh. :D

Congrats on the game, and keep making them! If you ever need help with GM:S let me know, I've got a couple of years experience working with it.

Oh man, it makes me so happy that you both had fun. (And you even got the canonical ending!) So thank you for your post and thank you for the offer as well! :) I'll have to see if I do something in GM next or keep on exploring the tools I currently use, but I'll keep that in mind.

Should have read more, i tired playing it on my own^^

I love your little monster things and the aiming is sweet. Maybe if you got controller support in there you could make it auto launch after a short while to put the pressure on.

​Great effort, definitely more to be explored here. I love local multiplayer.