Sign in to follow this  
z_bill

[Release] Twenty Year Old Weird House

RELEASE!  TWENTY YEAR OLD WEIRD HOUSE IS HERE!

Download here on itch.io!

I'm just gonna put up some teaser art I whipped up real quick to let it be known: 

TWENTY YEAR OLD WEIRD HOUSE IS COMING.

2pFi8CQ.png

The "Meets Meets Meets" is Samorost Meets Katamari Meets Limbo.

A point & click sorta deal that transforms to a physics platformer starring A Weird House.

QCM3To8.png

I am super grateful for #wizardjam for being the thing that motivated me to finally get started with gamedev last year. And I think I might follow along again with Tom Francis's Gamemaker tutorials like I did then to see what all I've learned. The main things I want to nail down for this one, stuff I haven't learned yet, is a lite physics system and dealing with swapping rooms/making a 2d world.

Video Games!

Thanks fellas.

Well the game can't do much yet. Just getting some junk into the game proper, but here's this:

QfHIAnx.png

Sounds like a neat idea, and Game Maker is such a great tool when you're starting out in gamedev!

I am currently failing at making progress at this.

The physics stuff is....too dang hard. I'm trying to get the debris to all react and bounce off each other.

Here's a gif:

vzKKYrV.gif

Going to chip away at it, but I'm afraid this game may just be a few cool gifs by the end and that's all. 

Help me, #wizardjam. You're my only hope!

I don't know anything about Gamemaker or I'd help you out for sure, this is looking really neat! I love the concept, and the artwork is pretty cool. Good luck in the second week!

Definitely reach out to the Slack if you haven't already.

I'm not gamemaker fluent enough to help solve physics systems misbehaving, but I've totally got your back insofar as development experience from a design perspective...

The giant salt lick to take my advice with is thus; I don't have a clear mental picture of the design you're attempting to implement... So I'm going to go VERY broad in an attempt to be encouraging or useful, and the second you find what I'm saying the opposite of either of those things, disregard the whole shebang and do what feels right!

Alright? Advice time!

Consider branching your project at this juncture:

• Keep this version of your progress separate so you can return to it after the jam or even at the tail end if the current blockers evaporate.
  • That new copy of the project is a sandbox you can use to potentially design around the current physics issues, should they prove impassable within the time frame.

Find the fun (the doable/achievable fun):

• Instead of tunneling on what isn't functioning the way you expect, think about and test the boundaries of what IS working.
  • Try to design around the limitations of the problematic mechanic; If maximum chaos isn't in the cards, is there a more controlled gameplay pattern that would also be fun?
  • Maybe the order you have to suck things in needs to be dictated by some sort of logic; Objects could become physics reactive in response to things on top of them being stripped away perhaps...
  • Maybe by dragging one type of target object through other, softer ones the player can break them or something...

I'm just tossing random stuff out there, bad ideas that hopefully could spark better ones for you. Ideally someone manages to help you stay true to your original design vision, but be flexible and prepared to limbo your way to alternate goals if need be.

Most importantly, prioritize shipping SOMETHING interactive over all else given the schedule!

Hey, I've been using physics in gamemaker, maybe I can help? Can you tell us more about how you're using the gamemaker physics? Getting in slack would also definitely help.

Thanks for the comments and advice, thumbsmen!

Essentially I was trying to get the debris (pieces of building, people being sucked in, etc) to react, bounce off, stack, with each other. But I've decided: forget that! I've rethought some things and am gonna make it waaaay more simple. Since essentially the radius of "suckage" is super close to the house, all that in-depth collision stuff would be a waste of time. You'd never see it really. Plus, all the colliding trash would get in your way when you start moving around (spoiler).

Also (more spoilers) I'm paring down the "leveling system." When you eat junk a meter fills, you gain a level, and evolve into a new form. There were gonna be 5 levels: 1) immobile, 2) snail (move across ground), 3) feet (gain jumping), 4) elevator (infinite vertical movement), and 5) flying. But I'm axeing jumping and flying. It's just a 4 room game ffs!

Thanks again. Hopefully my pace will be better since I curbed my ambition.

Great to hear that you're "designing around" the issues, it's totally a cool martial-arts-like skill we have to hone. It's tempting to build your weird house out of big sturdy bricks of carved stone for strength and stability, but you've discovered the secret of the weird igloo and have begun freezing your own custom bricks of ice that are way easier to make and can be melted away as needed!

That's right, I can torture this metaphor all day... what?

Just letting you guys know this is still going okay and I intend to work like crazy this weekend to get something pretty cool out!

Not much new in terms of art though, but, why not, here's the Help screen!

uE707Us.png

Pretty good progress.

There's an intro cutscene and the "gamefeel" feels like a game...or something.

H4sSdpF.png

I got it done! Let me know if you run into any bugs so I can ninja-fix it maybe...

RELEASE!  TWENTY YEAR OLD WEIRD HOUSE IS HERE!

Download here on itch.io!

Here's what I wrote on itchi.io:

Use Your Mouse to EAT EVERYTHING!

The original pitch was Samorost meets Katamari meets Limbo...something like that.

All you need to use is your mouse to play. Well, and the escape key...which will bring up a help screen (and also quit). The game does have an ending! And a secret or two.

This was created for Wizard Jam 2016. Special thanks to Idle Thumbs podcast & community!

It's great how the strangeness is not only a surface level thing (unusual look and sound) in your games, but that the mechanics and progression feel peculiar too.

From the beginning I was very curious how the "20 year old" part of the title would be incorporated into the game, so when the text just abruptly declared: 20 years later (with the house staying the same), for some reason I found it really funny.

Just played through almost all of this one, I really found it quite charming (like atte, when the '20 years later' came up I grinned like an idiot).

It felt strange, but quite calming sucking up all the bits and pieces. And I really like how you designed around the problem of physics, that's a pain in the arse in GameMaker. Well done on the release!

It felt strange, but quite calming sucking up all the bits and pieces.

I played this after losing a game of Paragon(which was quite stressful) and just cleaning up all the stuff was a pleasant way to reach a more relaxed state.

Has anyone used the term "Lynchian" to describe this yet? If not, allow me. LYNCHIAN!

It was weird and fascinating and I didn't get the ending.

To those that have "won" the game (aka got the credits splash image):

Did anyone get the "joke reference" of the endgame. I'm thinking it's too obscure, haha.

It's great how the strangeness is not only a surface level thing (unusual look and sound) in your games, but that the mechanics and progression feel peculiar too.

From the beginning I was very curious how the "20 year old" part of the title would be incorporated into the game, so when the text just abruptly declared: 20 years later (with the house staying the same), for some reason I found it really funny.

Thanks! You remember my old game? haha, awesome. It's definitely "of a piece" with Pause Screen From Battletoads. I did some design things here that, in my mind, make it a quasi-successor. Weirdness comes naturally to me, and that's how I knew this was the episode title for me!

I nearly ditched "Twenty Year Old" early on and just was gonna use it as an excuse to have a weird house main character. But a story idea hit me, so I kept it and am glad I did!

Just played through almost all of this one, I really found it quite charming (like atte, when the '20 years later' came up I grinned like an idiot).

It felt strange, but quite calming sucking up all the bits and pieces. And I really like how you designed around the problem of physics, that's a pain in the arse in GameMaker. Well done on the release!

I was a little worried that the sucking up would get boring. But then thought of Viscera Cleanup Detail. It's a meditative thing!

I dodged the physics thing really. This made me realize I've got a ways to go with Gamemaker. Thanks, man!

I played this after losing a game of Paragon(which was quite stressful) and just cleaning up all the stuff was a pleasant way to reach a more relaxed state.

Yes! That rules. I love that I made a stress-free game!

Has anyone used the term "Lynchian" to describe this yet? If not, allow me. LYNCHIAN!

It was weird and fascinating and I didn't get the ending.

That's one vote for "didn't get the ending." Well, the ending makes no sense really (my friend described it as "da-da"). But didn't get the reference I mean.

Hint on reference:

the crying and the Sonic game over sound are not the reference. And you may have to refer to the podcast episode itself.

Uh, don't look too hard. It's not that cool.

Edit: Also, thanks for the Lynchian comparison! It's cool to be Lynch.

As with your previous Wizard Jam game, I loved the surreal atmosphere and gameplay progression on display. The way you have strange mechanics open up over the course of a playthrough is really quite masterful.

I don't think I found any secrets, unless one of them is:

eating the moon

As with your previous Wizard Jam game, I loved the surreal atmosphere and gameplay progression on display. The way you have strange mechanics open up over the course of a playthrough is really quite masterful.

I don't think I found any secrets, unless one of them is:

eating the moon

Wow! I really appreciate the nice words! I'm happy you guys like some of my design decisions, because I've convinced myself I'm not great with gameplay. The whole concept of "how to I make this fun?" escapes me...and I just make a thing, haha.

I think I oversold the "secrets," and mainly wrote that to trick people into keep playing to the end! What a jerk I am!

Here are the references:

-The moon reveal is sort of a secret to me. And a nod to Thumb's obsession with the moon.

-"Power Up" sound is from Altered Beast.

-The transition from night to day in the left room is from my memory of Super Mario 3.

-The sound at the bottom of the well is the Sonic game over tune (just thought it was funny).

And the big (in my mind) secret (That I am hoping Jake will get):

The podcast "Twenty Year Old Weird House" gets its name from Jake describing Valve. The knobs at the end, which some think are ship's wheels, are supposed to look like Valve's logo...or, you know, the image of the guy with a valve/knob in his neck.

Lame secrets....I'll get legit ones in next time!

That was a really weird fun game. Nice rollout of the different house powers. The opening building montage sort of reminded my of Money by pink floyd. The house eating sound got a little grating after a while, but otherwise was enjoyable. I also ate what I think was the moon? Fun! :)