dibs

[RELEASE] - Rolling with the Pope

My game is to be:

Rolling with the Pope

RELEASE: https://itch.io/jam/wizard-jam-2016/rate/68393

Update: 18/05/16

So, my game is in the style of a sort of endless runner, but not endless. Can you survive 90 seconds of slowly escalating peril? Play as three randomly selected of history's greatest popes, leap over swiss guard and dash past (shudder) auditors, stop Benedict from snaffling all the prayers. It all happens in the swirling gyre that is the Vatican.

Features will include

• 3 popes and an anti pope - Everyone's favourite super villain, Emperor Benedict
  • 3 papal infal-abilities to activate, and 3 dastartly anti-papal abilities. For every pope mobile, there cometh a poopmobile.
  • Other stuff

Work to date:

• Basic game is up and running
  • Pope movement in
  • Generation and collection of cash and prayers
  • Art created
  • Coded in obstacles
  • Coded in difficulty escalation

The basic game is you are the pope trapped inside the circular vatican, you have to collect prayers to stay alive and collect cash to activate abilities. If the cash gets to benidict, he activates an ability to counter you.

To do:

• Finish importing art
  • Code in last two abilities
  • Music
  • Sound effects

x0RYQdW.jpg

07-05-16 Work to date:

Tech demo. This is early. I now have the pope jumping, as well as customaisable obstacles which he can bounce off or get killed by.

And some art i'm starting off. The idea is to have the outside of the level be multiple Vatican scenes spinning around one another. Here are some vatican buildings.

Update to try out moving backgrounds around. I have jumping and controls in there too.

(Just imagine the art is a bit prettier)

Digging the inverted Dyson Sphere layout of the thing already, nice!

Something about your prototypes is reminding me of Ace Team games like Rock of Ages...

Updated. Didn't get much time during the week, but i've been blasting through it today!

I love that you did concept art.

Also, If I ever find out that the Vatican doesn't really operate this way I'll be devastated.

Also, If I ever find out that the Vatican doesn't really operate this way I'll be devastated.

You will learn all there is to know about the vatican from my game, rest assured.

And some music i'm trying out to see what sticks.

Getting there. My flooring didn't work out at all, and the sky is obvs a placeholder.

Getting these strong Messhof vibes... It's confusing and surreal and I love it

I haven't survived through a whole game yet, but I think part of that is because I am just staring at how cool it looks!

Dunno how many prayers I got but I managed to get the green pope hat 3 times. How about including the score in the game over screen?

I never even thought to do that!

And thanks dr Nick!

I updated to make it a bit more difficult at the start and a lot easier right at the end. My last difficulty level was a bit brutal! I didn a mario maker test and passed it myself this time:P

That's a lot better! I failed my first attempt, but won the second and third times. I started to get the hang of the weird mechanics, too! Slowing down/speeding up so that you're in the right place to collect Euros is pretty much crucial. I enjoyed it!

I'm curious about the Papal Infailabilities, JP2's is obviously the Popemobile, but the first pope's appears to be a huge fleshy PacMan, and Pious' is like... a bearded man? I don't know much about popes.

Haha. Francis' is his cape billowing out to collect everything (Google will find that quick!). His anti Pope is Bouncless Bouncer, as he was a bouncer in a former life.

Pius' is vlad the impailer, who used to work for him. Nice guy. His antipope is Vatican 5-0, a crossover with cancelled content John XXII who oversaw Vatican 2.

Collecting euros is really important! I was going to mention it above, but I didn't want to lead you too much:P

​Really liked the audio on this, very funny! ​Also the watercolours look great (although some of the sprites are a bit small/fiddly).

Thanks Ben! I always enjoy making my sounds^^

I agree on some of the sprites. A few got a bit muddy in the last rush. They are better if drawn to scale (roughly) so the lines and strokes stay similar i think, but i didn't decide on my scalings until everything was in. My floor is a bit overpowering too!