Jake

Idle Thumbs 261: Unsubscribe

hahah, that's so good! I especially love the held note during the speed-ramped leap near the end.

I'm glad you liked it!

There were maybe five or six places where I really wanted things to hit right: that bit at the end, and the spot where Garrett elbows the guard in the face were probably the scenes I tweaked the most. My favorite is the part, about 50 seconds in, where the music syncs up with the shots of the city. It fell that way naturally when I was testing out the idea on one of the online youtube mashup sites, and I actually had to shift some stuff at the beginning because after I took out the ESRB notification at the start it didn't work anymore. If Wizard Jam wasn't about to start I might have taken the time to tighten up the whole thing (particularly when Garrett is stealing the guards purses and there's the two stings just before), but I'm reasonably happy with this version. Maybe after WJ is over I can work on T:CE - Reformed Edition

It is kind of mind bending how many good games have already been released this year, and we still have things to look forward to like new Dishonored and new Deus Ex!

For as disappointing as I found the holiday season last year, this year has been crazy good.

So, after the discussion of a Thief trailer, I thought "Hey! My favorite YouTube Cellists, 2Cellos (sorry, ThePianoGuys), definitely did a version of Smooth Criminal!" So I mashed it up with one of the trailers for Thief from 2014, and after a little futzing with timing and adding in some more clips from a different Thief trailer to pad out the bits where I cut out Garrett sinking particularly far into the uncanny valley, I think it's pretty good (for less than an hour's work).

Uhhhhhhh this super works and I would've bought the game if this is what they did

I honestly don't think I would have realized that wasn't a real trailer if I had't been told otherwise.

Thief: Criminal Element

Amazing! Thanks for making my dream of seeing all the "Wouldn't it be silly/cool/disgusting" tangents Jake comes up with and then get uplifted by the rest of the Thumbs implemented, one tiny bit more real!

I forget if this is the episode where they talked about the call of duty space oddity cover, but I just watched that trailer again and I've decided I really like it.  Like, it's just the same song but simpler and harder and kind of more mournful?  It's more of a blunt instrument, but I feel like that's what that trailer needed.  it seems like a very simple and maybe well-realized premise for some intense and emotional space-fighting, and when done well I'm totally into that.

watching that new battlefield trailer and this infinite warfare one reminded me that sometimes call of duty is far less embarrassing in its tone and treating of its subject matter than most action video games are.  Who would have thought that the crazy future war game trailer would have a lingering shot of a soldier walking past a memorial of fallen comrades, while the World War 1 game trailer would just be nonstop 'badass' action.

MO:ULa is free and can be downloaded from www.mystonline.com. The installation on Windows 10 required some troubleshooting: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=28177 The real pain is getting the account, as there doesn't seem to be any automated system for creating the accounts. Instead you must create a forum account (or resurrect your 9 years old account, depending on your circumstances), apply for PM rights on the forum and then request an account via PM.

Yeah, I checked it out a couple of years ago when it was free and it was a pretty odd experience. Since most of the people playing it had already beaten everything in the game a long time ago, it is now basically a chatroom for the Myst community and there were a surprisingly high amount of people playing what was a MMO that didn't have any new content made for it a few years. 

The engine for Uru was eventually used by Cyan to make a game for the chain of hotels Great Wolf Lodge called MagiQuest Online. I guess it's the video game version of some playground thing they have at the hotels? 

This was the only game footage I could find

Cyan has had a really weird history.

I have a pretty specific memory of having an opinion based on something I heard and then completely changing my mind on it. When I was a college sophomore, I was listening to the Giant Bombcast and they were discussing Demon's Souls, mostly focusing on how bad and impenetrable it was. Later, I was at a friend's house and he had demon's souls, I mentioned that "oh that game is terrible" because I had formed that opinion based on what I thought of at the time as an authoritative voice on video games. I ended up playing it anyway, as like "haha ill play this bad game let's see how bad it is" and fell in love, it is still one of my absolute favorite games, and I've been a fan of every souls game since.

I have a pretty specific memory of having an opinion based on something I heard and then completely changing my mind on it. When I was a college sophomore, I was listening to the Giant Bombcast and they were discussing Demon's Souls, mostly focusing on how bad and impenetrable it was. Later, I was at a friend's house and he had demon's souls, I mentioned that "oh that game is terrible" because I had formed that opinion based on what I thought of at the time as an authoritative voice on video games. I ended up playing it anyway, as like "haha ill play this bad game let's see how bad it is" and fell in love, it is still one of my absolute favorite games, and I've been a fan of every souls game since.

I have the same sort of experience. All throughout high school I was completely sure of the fact that Giant Bomb stood as The Last Word on all games, and based all my opinions on what they said on their podcasts and reviews, which led to me often being a jerk to my friends about games they liked that I'd never even played.  It took multiple examples of the Bombcast thoroughly ripping into games I loved before I realized that my tastes were diverging from theirs, to the point that now I have extremely different opinions than them about basically everything. 

I don't think I remember the main beats of this discussion but I love how certain games cross train you for others. I think that say alien movement in Natural Selection (2) makes me better at evasive movement in other shooters or first person pvp games like Chivalry. Or how playing as a melee based creature in a multiplayer game made it far more natural to use cqc mechanics in other pvp games without panicking.

NS2 and CS:GO are both made for older formulas but they too still have people forming 3 high poles where they all try to crouch/jump at once so one guy can get into a vent or a good flanking/sniping position.

Also I'm cosigning Spenny's post about delicious Jank. Chivalry is an amazing game because of the dragging. It's also interesting that within the same game a large portion of the player base capital H Hates anyone attempting to use a feint attack (an attack that is cancelled during it's wind up animation that can trick an opponent into whiffing their own attack animation, leaving them open) despite it being a) part of the tutorial and B) part of the intended game design (I think). But wielding a 2 handed Warhammer and doing a 360 death spin is OK despite that it is only made possible by mastering the dragging mechanic. Dragging actually allows you to extend your animation swing as well as speed it up. Sometimes a player wielding say, a Zweihander will do this to ensure that the opponent is tricked into thinking the danger is over but really they're about to die to a swing that lasts seconds longer than they expect it to.

A few other games have even included the mechanic for themselves. Warhammer: End Times: Vermintide (horrible name) did so and Dirty Bomb included it too. Although Dirty Bomb's devs decided to nerf dragging by hard capping a melee animation's swing speed at one point after an only melee character with a shield, invisibility, and a Katana was found to be too broken.

P.s someone from a forum for gay teens once had his comments and thoughts from when he was a dumb teen used against him in a right wing attack article after he pissed off a website editor while trying to become a right wing political commentator. The story and fall out was as horrible and cringe worthy as you can imagine.

I do want to play Quake 3 Arena forever.

Always excited when Myth comes up in a podcast!

Jake was basically right about Myth III-- when Microsoft bought Bungie, Take Two got the Myth (and Oni!) IP, and they hired Mumbo Jumbo to make Myth III, which as far as I know literally nobody liked. I checked out as soon as I played the demo and realized the mission briefings weren't read by Geoffrey Charlton-Perrin, since why even play Myth if you don't start every level by reading an old man's diary about the hardships of war or whatever.

I guess afterwards Take-Two just gave up on Myth and according to Wikipedia the whole Mumbo Jumbo Myth team was laid off. :(

edit: why on earth did these forums parse a frown face emoticon as some kind of chomping tomato

I did once hear one guy say that he liked it. Agreed about the narration though, that added so much to those games.

The last 15 minutes was probably one of my favourite things.

Also don't forget to thumbs up all the Youtube videos.

I forget if this is the episode where they talked about the call of duty space oddity cover, but I just watched that trailer again and I've decided I really like it.  Like, it's just the same song but simpler and harder and kind of more mournful?  It's more of a blunt instrument, but I feel like that's what that trailer needed.  it seems like a very simple and maybe well-realized premise for some intense and emotional space-fighting, and when done well I'm totally into that.

watching that new battlefield trailer and this infinite warfare one reminded me that sometimes call of duty is far less embarrassing in its tone and treating of its subject matter than most action video games are.  Who would have thought that the crazy future war game trailer would have a lingering shot of a soldier walking past a memorial of fallen comrades, while the World War 1 game trailer would just be nonstop 'badass' action.

Once upon a time, Call of Duty was the game that nuked you, made you suffer and die, and it wasn't crass or a cash-in, it just felt horrific.

Once upon a time, Call of Duty was the game that nuked you, made you suffer and die, and it wasn't crass or a cash-in, it just felt horrific.

Yeah.  It's been long enough since I played one of those games that I feel like this one could be good for me, if it's aiming for anything along those lines.  I also like the idea of a more multinational cast, since this is Earth versus a space colony.  (Which someone pointed out is basically the plot of Gundam)

I was much, MUCH more interested in the CoD 4 remaster than in Infinite Warfare. The Battlefield 1 trailer was very weird, because it was all planes flying through ravines and what looked like deserts (yes there were major engagements in Gallipoli and Palestine), when my enduring first mental image encapsulating the conflict is Ypres https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Passchendaele.

On a very different note, the last 15 minutes of this episode is everything I love about Idle Thumbs.

You have no idea how bummed I was to see TF2 in the list and then how relieved and happy I was that for once it wasn't about the hat economy or Jake's disappointment with the current state of the game.

It IS still a good game! I even like it more now than ever. The only thing keeping me from playing it the way I used to is that I have no good server community to play with. ):

Uhhhhhhh this super works and I would've bought the game if this is what they did

I'm glad you like it, and also glad no one made one like this so you didn't waste your money on that (at best) mediocre game.

Amazing! Thanks for making my dream of seeing all the "Wouldn't it be silly/cool/disgusting" tangents Jake comes up with and then get uplifted by the rest of the Thumbs implemented, one tiny bit more real!

Sure thing. I used to be part of the Night Attack Chatrealm (still <> for life, but I'm busy on Tuesday nights now) so quickly churning out photoshops and audio clips based on the "Wouldn't it be silly/cool/disgusting" things people say in podcasts became a bit of a hobby. Video is a new medium for me though, I just learned Premiere this year. 

Onedollarwilliam - I just sent this to some people who worked on that project - I imagine that, despite of the emotionally draining experience of the project, they are going to like the video as much as I did.