clyde

Paragon (lane pusher)

I also haven't played in a while, but I might jump back in for a bit now that it's released. It's just a really hard game to be bad at.

Add me on Epic, we should get a game going! I've been playing some PVP with a friend and it's been pretty cool so far. Team fights are pretty damn satisfying.

I'm YoThatLimp

I'll do that. Your friends are gonna be so mad when my Decker initiates an involuntary cage-match.

I just played my first match against A.I. in months. I had a really good time with it, but I think I'll stick to A.I. matches forever. I'm just not good enough at this game to be competitive, but the A.I. matches are really fun for me. I like making my deck and trying to optimize getting harvesters and orbs and ganking A.I. when there isn't much stress to it.

Also I now have a ton of card-packs and there are a bunch of new heroes. I have a code for the master challenges of Iggy and Greystone so if anyone wants those, just ask.

Gosh I forgot how good this game is as a time-killer when I am feeling a bit slow in the motivation department. I could never get into Diablo-style RPGs because of the interface, so I skipped that style of Lords Management. If you are in that position, I recommend playing some team-matches against A.I. It's just kinda satisfying to play with all the heroes, farm bots, and earn cards.

The new characters are super interesting. Greystone is awesome for beginners since his ultimate is a passive resurrect. Fey is fun because her powers stack really well and can stop a gank from happening. Lt.Belica has got some neat ways to discourage use of enemy abilities in an area. Super fun.

Gosh I forgot how good this game is as a time-killer when I am feeling a bit slow in the motivation department. I could never get into Diablo-style RPGs because of the interface, so I skipped that style of Lords Management. If you are in that position, I recommend playing some team-matches against A.I. It's just kinda satisfying to play with all the heroes, farm bots, and earn cards.

The new characters are super interesting. Greystone is awesome for beginners since his ultimate is a passive resurrect. Fey is fun because her powers stack really well and can stop a gank from happening. Lt.Belica has got some neat ways to discourage use of enemy abilities in an area. Super fun.

Yeha, I'm having a pretty good time doing AI matches to learn the characters, still haen't really found my "one" yet!

It continues to baffle me that there isn't a Lords Management in the style of Halo. They could even use the enemies from Halo. They'd have to decrease damage done to other players and figure out how weapons and vehicles are earned. But it just seems like such an obvious thing for that commercial franchise to do.

Yeha, I'm having a pretty good time doing AI matches to learn the characters, still haen't really found my "one" yet!

Are there any of them that you kinda like or hate?

I just tried Khaimera for the first time and I loved him/her. Increasing attack-speed to heal yourself feels awesome.

Narbash didn't go so well though; end game, in a group he was pretty helpful, but I struggled to do anything for the first 3.4 of the match.

I am going to try out Paragon this week. I've been playing a bunch of HOTS recently, and the thought of a couch LOMA sounds great. I'll report back, promise!

Surprised at how much I like the look and feel of this. I'm used to overlooking my distaste for the garish cartoony hodgepodge (hello HOTS) of LOMAs and digging into the mechanics, but this is much more to my liking. Though I should note that a character like Twin Blast is hilarious. The banner image here gives him a Channing Tatum look, but then if you scroll down to see his "skins" photo the travesty unfolds (https://www.epicgames.com/paragon/en-US/heroes/twinblast). So pouty!

Speaking of that link, I love their website. I was worried I'd have to watch copious youtube footage to get an overall scope of the hero pool, but having looping videos for every hero's abilities is huge. Reading that something takes 2.5 seconds of channeling is one thing, but watching it loop gives a much better feel.

The 30 minute matches means I can only get in one match a night, so it's going to be very slow going for me. It took me about 6 months before I felt comfortable doing regular PvP in HOTS, though without text chat, I may jump in sooner since I can't get flamed.

Anyone have any favorite streamers that you'd recommend? A cursory search in youtube didn't bring up any clear results. Also any good resource to learn the basics (cards, what those pools are that make you invisible, etc.)?

The pools are just hiding spots for ganking pretty much.

Here is a card-point explainer. I didn't read it beyond Part 3. Everything that gives you orange orbs gives you card-points. So last-hitting minions, picking up stray orbs, and harvesters.

Here is a map of where the different buffs and harvesters can be found. The spawn times of the harvesters just changed last week I think. Yellow are the towers and Orange are the Inhibitors. Taking down an Inhibitor spawns stronger minions for your team on that lane. You can plant harvesters on any of the blue spots if no one else has by standing on a sigil located there. Having a key from your card-deck will speed the process up. In-game, you will see a purple icon that fills up, standing on the sigil of a friendly harvester empties the harvester and gives card-points to your entire team. You can destroy harvesters enemies have placed.

Xyc8WHw.png

Thanks for posting that stuff, Clyde!

I've played a few more matches over the weekend against AI, and am enjoying myself.

I've been making my way through the Heroes of Agora podcast. I'll leave my criticism at: it's not great and I don't love the viewpoints of the hosts. But, it's been fun hearing how much the game has changed since April, and getting to hear about early strategies and hero tactics as they get released.

Picking up a Lords Management this early on is much less daunting. There's only 3 supports! And only 22 total heroes.

I haven't had enough time on the current map to feel any which way about it, but I'm intrigued about the announcement of a smaller, less foliaged map. The shade of the jungle added so much to the aesthetics, it felt magical in a way, so hopefully we don't lose it entirely.

I am getting so many cards!

I need to start making decks after my games. I jump around on which hero I use (which means that I forget what I will need in my deck) and the pre-made decks always feel exhausted by the end of the match based on how I play.

I have so many cards now that making a deck has become a bit overwhelming. This is always what happens to me with collectable card games.

Whenever I get enough cards to start building decks, I'm just going to use guides a good long while.

Hearthstone deck guides always had handy-dandy replacements, which was helpful. "Here's the rare card we recommend, but this common card would suffice." Hopefully the paragon community gets big enough to support that sort of infrastructure.

Though the card buffs all fall within clear categories and thus easier to find a replacement, it'd just be the active cards that'd be harder to replicate on one's own.

Has the new map dropped yet? I haven't been able to play the past few days.

I haven't seen a new map. I played two A.I. Matches this morning. It's possible that the new map may be competitive only.

I made a Sparrow deck before my second match. I did significantly better. I think the pre-made decks are weighted towards increasing health and armor which isn't very useful for me in A.I. matches since I can typically avoid ganks.

By the way, can I give you this thing that gives you a couple of hero challenges? If so, how do I find you on the Epic thing.

Ahh, did some research, the new map is coming "soon". From the videos I've seen of it, it keeps the aesthetics of the original map but is more compact. I guess there are some long-standing balance issues with game length and this is Epic's way to try and mitigate that (aside from all the tower nerfs and minion buffs in previous patches).

Yeah! My Epic account is:

ariskany_evan

:D

Continuing to really dig Paragon! It's a much more soothing Lords Management than the others I've played. Something about the color palette and current game speed really makes staying in lane and last hitting feel restorative.

The halloween event isn't my favorite (https://www.epicgames.com/paragon/en-US/news/shadows-eve). Not being able to buy the skins now seems like the wrong move. It's Halloween-time now! We should all be jumping around in our costumes for a few weeks in October, not just the last week of the month. The community has figured out that the drop-rates for the "twitch watching/streaming" event is pretty abysmal, so that leaves the majority of the community not celebrating. Though that free Murdock skin is pretty fantastic....

Just bought the essentials edition for PS4 (good deal at $30), so I'll definitely be playing for the next few months.

Bigs changes to Paragon released today. Map is 1/3 smaller and completely redesigned. Movement speed is upped substantially (travel mode is gone). And cool-down timers have been reduced. Cramming everyone is a smaller space with more maneuverability and more access to spells if you can manage your mana. Sounds like more fun on paper...

The buzz-phrase going around is this is essentially what Epic wanted Paragon to be from the get-go, but some design decisions made along the way caused the initial version to be unexpectedly slower. This is a big push to get a regular game to an average of 30 minutes, rather than 40. I’m all about this, since I have limited time each day to play.

If you’re at all curious but have never played, now is a great time to give it a shot. With all of the changes, it’s basically a whole new game for everyone.

I haven’t touched the new update yet, but will hopefully get to it in a day or two. I’ll report back!