Nick Breckon

Idle Thumbs Streams

Chris, you should know that your streams have resulted in at least on copy of RimWorld being sold.  I bought it last night and spent nearly 30 minutes comparing the colonist's stats before starting.  This is the start of something very dangerous for me, I'm sure.  Looking forward to the next stream.

I watched the first few Rimworld streams, decided to buy it and now I don't have time to watch the new streams because I'm playing it instead. It's definitely one of those games that put me in Civ mode, where I can play for 8 hours straight and not realize what I'm doing with my life.

Chris, you should know that your streams have resulted in at least on copy of RimWorld being sold.  I bought it last night and spent nearly 30 minutes comparing the colonist's stats before starting.  This is the start of something very dangerous for me, I'm sure.  Looking forward to the next stream.

I watched the first few Rimworld streams, decided to buy it and now I don't have time to watch the new streams because I'm playing it instead. It's definitely one of those games that put me in Civ mode, where I can play for 8 hours straight and not realize what I'm doing with my life.

I am also a victim of these streams.

RimWorld streams are my crack. Can't get enough (it's real bad, send help!). I almost (almost meaning really did) yelled at the screen watching Video Jamestown Episode 3 when the Boomrats attacked and Cinnamon was locked out. She was right by the door and couldn't get in. A simple quick unlock of the door she was right next to might have spared Chris the whole "OMG Tammy is on fire!" debacle.

I'm getting into real backseat gamer mode now with this. :D But Jake would still be with us if the murder tunnel had been secured with a "always open" door that could be instantly closed when danger was approaching.

I need therapy now. RIP almost everyone. The animals are about to take over. That tortoise is gonna outlive them all.

AaaaaaaaaaaAaaAaaaaAaahh!! :)

I know, I'm sorry! It actually really makes me sympathetic to Nick in those Crusader Kings streams when he never noticed anything going on. When you're streaming, your attention is basically split three ways: the game, the chat stream, and your own stream of consciousness monologue so it's not just "silent person plays video game." I'm typically extremely attentive to detail in games like these (it's what I like about them) but man it is just ROUGH while streaming.

Don't feel too bad. You are doing a good job, despite the difficulty of juggling between the tasks! Also, seeing the chat lose their shit over something that you have done (or something that you have not yet noticed), adds to the hilarity of the streams.

The last couple of streams have been quite rough. I hope you still have the energy to go back to RimWorld despite the shitty combat experiences. Love the stream, and I'm hoping to catch more of them live (they usually end one or two hours before I wake up).

I know, I'm sorry! It actually really makes me sympathetic to Nick in those Crusader Kings streams when he never noticed anything going on. When you're streaming, your attention is basically split three ways: the game, the chat stream, and your own stream of consciousness monologue so it's not just "silent person plays video game." I'm typically extremely attentive to detail in games like these (it's what I like about them) but man it is just ROUGH while streaming.

From my own brief experience streaming Crusader Kings 2, I honestly think that a super-experienced person just rocking a game to pieces and explaining how they're doing it on a stream isn't that interesting, not unless there's another angle. Even just as a backdrop to me thinking of Cool Historical Facts to say, I don't think it was anywhere near as entertaining as Nick deciding to murder the king of France over a perceived slight or you missing a cannibalistic pyromaniac rampaging through your base. Those are frustrating to experience in the moment, as a viewer, but they become my fondest memories of those streams, on reflection.

I hope I didn't sound rude. I tend to madly yell at the screen silently (that's a thing) while laughing at the same time. I yell with love (as long as the cats stay alive^^).

Don't feel too bad. You are doing a good job, despite the difficulty of juggling between the tasks! Also, seeing the chat lose their shit over something that you have done (or something that you have not yet noticed), adds to the hilarity of the streams.

The last couple of streams have been quite rough. I hope you still have the energy to go back to RimWorld despite the shitty combat experiences. Love the stream, and I'm hoping to catch more of them live (they usually end one or two hours before I wake up).

That reminds me, maybe it's worth going back to that initial difficulty from the first game (Video Games, RIP!). I don't recall there being that many raids or mad animals. Or is that the Basebuilder settting and Chris just has a string of poopy luck?

The storyteller for the first one was Phoebe Chillax and after that Cassandra Classic. The difficulty might have been basebuilder on all cases, but I'm not entirely sure.

Original difficulty was the Chillax narrator on the Free Play mode. Successive attempts have been Classic and Base Builder. This one is going well so far, so I don't think a change in difficulty is really warranted at the moment, but if things get frustrating it might be worth either doing Chillax + Base Builder or Classic + Free Play.

Edit: Ha, I was one stream behind. That went bad real fast. Maybe a new game is for the best?

Video Jamestown.

Probably the nickname of Spaff's apartment.

Original difficulty was the Chillax narrator on the Free Play mode. Successive attempts have been Classic and Base Builder. This one is going well so far, so I don't think a change in difficulty is really warranted at the moment, but if things get frustrating it might be worth either doing Chillax + Base Builder or Classic + Free Play.

Edit: Ha, I was one stream behind. That went bad real fast. Maybe a new game is for the best?

You're one behind again! Chris bounced back beautifully! :)

One thing, though, Chris: Zones! You zoned the shit out of that place but ever since the first zone massacre you stopped using them. During the last raid it would have kept Tammy inside while you micro-manage the gun squad. Also, expand the existing zones to the new building spaces. You also don't have the animal zone you created active, I think. When you went into the "restrict" screen for animals it looked like they all were set to "unrestricted" - maybe that would also be useful to restrict them to the compound in general. To avoid future "helpless little fluffy pet trapped outside with rampaging boomrats" and stuff :D

Also, put that door in that murder tunnel (and hold it open during regular business days). Keep manhunting animals out. I fear for the worst the next time a butterfly decides to go on a killing spree. :D

Oh, and that finish with the wedding was beautiful! A nice counter to that depressing end of the previous stream! Video Jamestown 4 ever.

You're one behind again! Chris bounced back beautifully! :)

One thing, though, Chris: Zones! You zoned the shit out of that place but ever since the first zone massacre you stopped using them. During the last raid it would have kept Tammy inside while you micro-manage the gun squad. Also, expand the existing zones to the new building spaces. You also don't have the animal zone you created active, I think. When you went into the "restrict" screen for animals it looked like they all were set to "unrestricted" - maybe that would also be useful to restrict them to the compound in general. To avoid future "helpless little fluffy pet trapped outside with rampaging boomrats" and stuff :D

Also, put that door in that murder tunnel (and hold it open during regular business days). Keep manhunting animals out. I fear for the worst the next time a butterfly decides to go on a killing spree. :D

Oh, and that finish with the wedding was beautiful! A nice counter to that depressing end of the previous stream! Video Jamestown 4 ever.

Good points!

Someone's getting better at combat! Glad you found the suggestions useful. Now if only that god damn tortoise had stayed inside the compound too :(

I hope Dr. Tammy can save it!

Going to get back on the stream train this week/weekend. Curious if anyone has an opinion on what I do next. I created this poll so you can rock the vote: 

http://goo.gl/BtESzh

Oh man, Dark Souls 1 gets my vote. That is exciting.

That's a tough choice. I could use a break from watching Dark Souls streams. Factorio seems like a "let the chat teach me how to play" game similar to Crusader Kings II and RimWorld but with less potential for hilarious, fucked-up situations (I haven't played it though so I might be wrong). RimWorld is great, but it is already hard to keep up with Chris' streams. Far Cry 2 speedruns is such a ridiculous idea that it might even work.

As for other suggestions, I don't know. I was excited about the prospect of Stellaris streams, but having played it, I'm not so sure anymore. The game moves pretty slow and is less eventful than Crusader Kings II. So, I'd actually prefer you going back to Crusader Kings II.

If you are willing to go to the other side, I would definitely be interested in watching someone try to parse Dwarf Fortress... sorry... Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress.

I can't decide between FarCry 2 speedruns and Factorio. The latter I have only recently learned about and was fascinated by so I'd love to see that. But FarCry 2.

What would Sophie do! I'll have to sleep on this ...

I kinda also want to see a day in the life of Nick's RimWorld. But just a peek.

What do.

I voted Factorio, but would be perfectly happy with any of those, or any of Nappi's suggestions.

Going to get back on the stream train this week/weekend. Curious if anyone has an opinion on what I do next. I created this poll so you can rock the vote: 

I voted for FC2, but DS1 is definitely second choice.

As new recommendation, I'd love to see you play this baby game for a few (10-15) minutes if anyone else can vouch for it.

I've harped on about wanting to see Dark Souls 1 in your chat, so that's the obvious pick for me. I'll tune in regardless of what you ultimately play of course :D

edit: +1 to Pooh homeruns

I'd love Far Cry 2 speedruns, except for the fact that I remembered there's a 5-minute unskippable cutscene at the start. It made my own attempts at a speedrun pretty miserable.

So I guess DS1 has my vote.

DS1 has my vote because I actually beat it, so I'd love to see Nick's reaction to a game I have fully internalised, and I'm curious how much and how little carries over from 3.

I voted other. I also would love a stream of Dwarf Fortress, but a lot of people would not. My vote is for Helldivers co-op. I think it would make for a great stream. The co-op ideally should be local. Janine + Nick team Helldiving would be most excellent. Although, I suppose anyone Helldiving with Nick would be rather wonderful.

Guh, I'm just dying for more Rimworld now so I voted for that. Should have voted for Far Cry 2, of course. I don't really understand the need for more DS.

FC2 speed run would be interesting to see the progression over a longer time period. 

Not an option but seeing someone try to learn Dwarf Fortress would really be something I'd want to watch (to try to learn it as well). Also it seems to have the highest content of "A Grenade Rolls Down A Hill" per minute played, once it gets going/is learnt, maybe even before.