Nick Breckon

Idle Thumbs Streams

It was surreal and exciting to see you guys play my little personality test thing on the stream... Those were some gratifying reactions; Turns out all my worrying about the dystopian tone being a downer was nonsense!

Sorry about the itch.io player feeding you black text on a black background, gonna try to download their client and see what can be done about that... You certainly took it in stride, and it was super interesting from a writing and design standpoint how the first 5 invisible questions or so actually "read" decently via answer inference.

Also, some of the kindest words in there about it being a believable or well realized little slice of a weird future; For what it's worth, if you guys ever find yourselves working on a dystopian experience and need a systems/content/narrative designer I will happily drop everything and report for duty!

Someone from itch.io said they were investigating the empty/black background in the app!

Watched the stream yesterday. Or rather I watched the first hour, anticipating/dreading when you'd get to In Search of Paradise and then got impatient and fast forwarded to that part. You guys did good! Made more than halfway to Paradise!  :tup:

Jake, I hope it's ok if I use your quote "This is like the walking simulator version of Interstate 76." on the gamepage. :)

I just subscribed. How far are you from being able to add more emotes?

Also, what are the chances for another Hitman stream?  I always love seeing 2_1.pngslyboots2_1.png action.

Chances are high: we're going to do a Hitman stream on Sunday starting at 1 PM Pacific. 

I will also restart Dark Souls soon. Hopefully will give some lead-time on the day, but I may also just start up a few streams here and there just to fit it in when I have time. 

I have a suggestion if you do more Hitman: if you haven't completed the regular mission a bunch of times, play that because it's more forgiving and you can try more things. If you know the map really well, then do the escalations. Maybe this is a common stream thing, but I was pretty much screaming at the screen for the first two hours of watching the newest video :P

You know those two guards who talk next to the tunnel entrance right after you sneak into the shoe store and steal a bunch of coins? If you wait for 15 seconds, one of them walks away and the other turns his back.

EDIT:

Wow, you really got your shit together at the end there. I would never have attempted that without say, the consulate garage starting location at the least. Congrats.

Screaming at the stream is absolutely a normal stream thing. Trust me on this one.

Maybe I should only watch streams of games I don't know as well as Hitman :P

The Hitman stream was excellent, with a truly wonderful payoff! During one of the wonderful breckonian moments in the stream a song started to play in my head. While inferior to the pure stream experience, I created a youtube mashup of it.

http://crossfade.io/#!/azo9al2yd1

Really enjoyed the last two "couple streams". Cool to see new faces in Idle Thumbs content (I know Sarah's on the book podcast too but still). 

I am also way into the constant extreme emphasis on internalization metrics. Always important to quantify such meaningful concepts. 

I wonder if Nick is going to be interested in doing Archdragon Peak. It would be a shame not to I think.

Wizard Jam 2016 part 2 is happening this Saturday, July 9, at noon Pacific. Join us!

I know that stream ended up being hard on you, Nick, but it really was entertaining the whole way through! If all people cared about was seeing progress getting made as fast as possible, we would just watch someone beat the game in like an hour and a half. I'm sure no one watching felt like it was a waste of time to do so.

Eh, nevermind.  But as Jeff Goldblum always says, "It's more sensible to assassinate the Queen of France as a King than as a count.  The castle is a good place to work your way up."

I went to bed before the stream ended - did he beat the boss?

Three hours, but no.  We sent Nick out far before Ted Crews was ready.  :wacko:

Three hours, but no.  We sent Nick out far before Ted Crews was ready. :(

I really hope that this isn't the end for Nick. It's his first brick wall, going somewhere lacking the gear or the stats to beat it without hours of practice, and I'd hate to see him give up there.

I really hope that this isn't the end for Nick. It's his first brick wall, going somewhere lacking the gear or the stats to beat it without hours of practice, and I'd hate to see him give up there.

The real danger isn't that I'll give up -- it's that I won't. 

The real danger isn't that I'll give up -- it's that I won't. 

Hah! Jokes aside, you'd effectively learned the boss by the end of your stream last night, Nick. You were just fatigued, frustrated, and playing under a sizable mechanical handicap. When you only have the HP to make two mistakes, at most, and you're only doing a hundred damage a hit on the second phase, that's demanding an exhaustingly long streak of near-perfect play from you in order to beat the boss. Trust me, there's no trick you're missing, you're just fighting this boss too early for your skill level, character level, and weapon level. Clear out Lothric Castle, beat the next boss or two on the critical path, and come back with upgraded stats and weapon to show the dragon king who's boss. That's the Dark Souls way!

Hey guys,

Just noticed that on your page on the "Past Broadcasts" image you have the link set to https://www.twitch.tv/idlethumbs/manager/past_broadcasts but it should be https://www.twitch.tv/idlethumbs/profile/past_broadcasts . Should be an easy fix :)

Thanks for checking out Shadow and Colossus :D Felt a bit sheepish about my "check for updates" message at the end, oh well, jam quality!